Cordell's Miata street/autox project

Cordell

225 is perfect for a miata

decent camber and some little bit of toe-out for the front (increases dartiness and willingness to turn in

with really miniminal toe-in (power-on stability) and a bit of camber out back

my alignment specs are

Front

-2.0deg camber, 0 total toe-in (minimum setting on camber plates)

Rear

-1.6deg camber, 1/8" total toe-in

if I kick my plates in the front in, I get -3.5deg camber and a bit of toe-out....toe-out because the tie-rods in my car are in front of the kingpin axis.

My car is very neutral and I can get power-on oversteer if I mash the pedal. I can also get oversteer depending on how much trail-braking I use, which I use to my advantage

(5) is tie-rods in the E36 front sus

http://v8.webkitchen.net/images/mods/suspension/suspension.gif

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

225 is perfect for a miata

decent camber and some little bit of toe-out for the front (increases dartiness and willingness to turn in

with really miniminal toe-in (power-on stability) and a bit of camber out back

my alignment specs are

Front

-2.0deg camber, 0 total toe-in (minimum setting on camber plates)

Rear

-1.6deg camber, 1/8" total toe-in

if I kick my plates in the front in, I get -3.5deg camber and a bit of toe-out....toe-out because the tie-rods in my car are in front of the kingpin axis.

My car is very neutral and I can get power-on oversteer if I mash the pedal. I can also get oversteer depending on how much trail-braking I use, which I use to my advantage

(5) is tie-rods in the E36 front sus

http://v8.webkitchen.net/images/mods/suspension/suspension.gif

I was thinking along those lines, but I've never liked driving toe out, I've always set up toe at 0. I can't see the Miata needing that much camber in the rear, but I haven't really read up on what works in these cars. I'm sure I'll be playing with a couple different settings, since I have easy access to an alignment rack. Alignment is kind of personal preference anyway so long as you're not doing something stupid.

Your car definetly looks well composed, maybe I can drive yours since you seemed interested in trying the Miata.

I was thinking along those lines, but I've never liked driving toe out, I've always set up toe at 0. I can't see the Miata needing that much camber in the rear, but I haven't really read up on what works in these cars. I'm sure I'll be playing with a couple different settings, since I have easy access to an alignment rack. Alignment is kind of personal preference anyway so long as you're not doing something stupid.

toe for sure is personal but camber is not......a tire pyrometer is the best way to find a perfect camber setting....you use a probe pyrometer to measure the temps at both tire shoulders and the middle.....if it s even all the way across the surface, your camber is perfect and the tire/grip is being maximized...if you have high inner shoulder temps, then you have too much camber. if the outer is high, then you need more camber because you're overworking the outer shoulder

Your car definetly looks well composed, maybe I can drive yours since you seemed interested in trying the Miata.

I have no problem......I like sharing drives with good drivers.....i m doin SCCA oct15th

toe for sure is personal but camber is not......a tire pyrometer is the best way to find a perfect camber setting....you use a probe pyrometer to measure the temps at both tire shoulders and the middle.....if it s even all the way across the surface, your camber is perfect and the tire/grip is being maximized...if you have high inner shoulder temps, then you have too much camber. if the outer is high, then you need more camber because you're overworking the outer shoulder

I have no problem......I like sharing drives with good drivers.....i m doin SCCA oct15th

True on the camber. If I wanted to give up a little grip in the rear by not using optimal camber I could, obviously not the best way but it would work. Given my limited budget I may just try to run in the Miata Club's AS class, which would limit mods so springs and a rear sway bar would be out along with non-factory rim sizes. Of course I'm likely to say fuck it and just do the mods I want because I'm only out to have fun anyway.