Mazda Speed 3 or Focus ST?

2011SVT

New 4 or 5 door. Under 30k loaded. Fun to drive. Good electronics package (navigation).

Looking for a Winter/DD replacement for the hand-me-down mini van I have now (how I despise that thing).

Other alternatives? Discuss.

Totally different cars. Do you want to spend money on performance or economy? I'm not one for the look of the new MS3's. Besides, you can pick up a lightly used one for a good deal. If you buy new you'll need winter tires. Check the used ones too as the stock MS3 tires are summer only. I can help you as I'm selling my set, just need to get around to posting them.

Totally different cars. Do you want to spend money on performance or economy? I'm not one for the look of the new MS3's. Besides, you can pick up a lightly used one for a good deal. If you buy new you'll need winter tires. Check the used ones too as the stock MS3 tires are summer only. I can help you as I'm selling my set, just need to get around to posting them.

The new ST puts out 248hp on the Ecoboost 4, supposedly it goes on sale in September.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the MS3 'smiley face' either. Maybe in black it wouldn't be too noticeable. I don't know what Mazda was thinking. You would expect they might run their little design changes by some focus groups before pulling the trigger.

299632_10150354140064257_126409094256_9505592_4862180_n.jpg

(^-- corksport's)

The grin isn't as bad in black, but still not great. I think it looks crosseyed.

You should go out and test drive both vehicles. They are going to behave mostly different

and you'll probably know rather quickly which one has what you want.

My only complaint about my ms3 is that it is a little inconsistant when you are just

puttering around.

If I answer your question: MS3. The focus is pretty cramped on the inside, more so than the MS3. Mother in law just bought a 5 door hatch focus, and I think the interior is a bit busy, and the materials are less than desirable. MS3 beats it all around sans smile, but as stated, black helps.

Not answering the question: VW GTI. Autobahn package gets keyless start, Nav, leather auto climate, premium stereo, bi-xenons, sunroof, and the nicest interior in its class.

Price with DSG is 31,600, manual is 30,500. They have gotten a bit pricey in the last few years, but its still a decent value.

Read up on the tests, the gti regularly beats the competition in everything but straight line speed, but it looks like you have the box already checked!

The new ST puts out 248hp on the Ecoboost 4, supposedly it goes on sale in September.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the MS3 'smiley face' either. Maybe in black it wouldn't be too noticeable. I don't know what Mazda was thinking. You would expect they might run their little design changes by some focus groups before pulling the trigger.

My bad. I was confusing the ST with the economy version. I'm thinking RS. IMO, if Ford doesn't bring the 300+HP RS Over here then they are losing out. They need to skip the 250hp version all together.

Not answering the question: VW GTI. Autobahn package gets keyless start, Nav, leather auto climate, premium stereo, bi-xenons, sunroof, and the nicest interior in its class.

Price with DSG is 31,600, manual is 30,500. They have gotten a bit pricey in the last few years, but its still a decent value.

Read up on the tests, the gti regularly beats the competition in everything but straight line speed, but it looks like you have the box already checked!

+1 The best hot hatch in the market.

Never been a huge fan of the MS3 because it's got so much damn torque steer, and the new one looks horrendous. I am very interested in trying the Focus ST though.