Need help: Cloudy well water, leaves black stains

dakotart

Sounds to me like you have a break in your line. I had a problem where a tiny part of my yard was wet, I just thought it was from rain, and it may have been a low spot. I started going through filters like crazy to keep water pressure up. Finally I decided to go dig up the wet spot since it was there every time I cut the grass. It was a crack in the line, as the water passed through some went out and when there was no pressure from the pump it allowed silt to come back in the pipe. Cost 300 to fix, only because I had an excavator handy.

Ill add that the main thing that made me dig it up was the water movement upward coming from the yard.

Sounds to me like you have a break in your line. I had a problem where a tiny part of my yard was wet, I just thought it was from rain, and it may have been a low spot. I started going through filters like crazy to keep water pressure up. Finally I decided to go dig up the wet spot since it was there every time I cut the grass. It was a crack in the line, as the water passed through some went out and when there was no pressure from the pump it allowed silt to come back in the pipe. Cost 300 to fix, only because I had an excavator handy.

Ill add that the main thing that made me dig it up was the water movement upward coming from the yard.

Unfortunately I don't know the path that the pipe takes from the well to the house. The well is out front about 900 feet from the house and the well comes in from the back.

might be a good time to tap into the city if you are already going to be shelling out the $$

There isn't city water here.

I think that it may be Iron Bacteria.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/water/dwg/febact.htm

Symptoms are similar. I think I last shocked it about 1 year ago.

How often should it be shocked? Does any one just add some chlorine tablets regularly?

might be a good time to tap into the city if you are already going to be shelling out the $$

That's nice if you're rich, but shocking a well costs a couple bucks and city hookups are closer to $18k. I had that thought awhile back when my septic tank was acting up. I just got an attack of sulfur bacteria or something that I had to bleach to death. You're not alone in your well-water shenanigans.

Don't forget not to do laundry or drink from it until the bleach smell goes away.

Black is hydrogen sulfide. Sulfur, rotten egg stuff. Bacterial iron is, best way I can describe it, take the lid off the toilet tank look in it, if it looks like orange pond scum you have bacterial iron. Bacterial iron wont turn colors until it gets oxidized (toilet tank), fill a glass and let it sit on the counter overnight. If its not orange when you fill it, but orange in the morning, then, bacterial iron. Both Problems are temporarily fixed by shocking the well. If you have a softener put it in by-pass, the bleach will kill the resin. If you have a drinking water system or fridge filter turn them off, the bleach will kill them too. I will PM you my # free advice anytime.