Lawn Aerate, Fertilize and grass correction. Personal Refferals

neonkiller

So this past year I started my own landscape company and so far Ive been doing quite well with the knowledge I have in my area.

I am only word of mouth and business is good:)

I just picked up a new client and his house is HUUUUUGEEEE I would post pics but I keep all my customers info private unless I have there permission.

However here is my problem my new client has a problem with one large area of his grass that is located in the front of his house inside of his wrap around driveway.

The previous "landscaper" <<<SHITTY has for some reason cut the grass about a inch high in this area everyweek:mad: ita yellow and brown and when compared to the lawns of the multi million dollar ones sitting next to it it looks like Osama Bin Ladens front yard with crab grass everywhere.

The yard is large and my client wants this fixed. Its not the $$ he is concerned with its the job. He wants it corrected the correct way whether it be tear it out and install new or if fertilizer AND treatments can bring this section back to life.

In plain he wants his lawn to look like his neighbors thick and green. I told him its late in the year but we can get it ready for winter and have a plan for spring.

MY QUESTION.

Person need to be qualified in Aerating, fertilizing and lawn knowledge.

WHo takes care of your lawn fertilizer and treatments?

Do they deliver what they say?

Do they tell you straight cut what you need to do?

This is my first year and so far I don't feel comfortable yet without learning extensively about chemicals and how to use them.

However my work is 5 star. I just need someone to subcontract that knows there stuff and can deliver.

If this goes well they would also pick up this gentleman's 5 restaurants in town.

My parents use a company called "Lazy Acres" lawncare I believe. They had a MAJOR problem with crabgrass and foxtail I believe it was, and that's why they hired this company. The guy has done an amazing turnaround with what just seems to be timely application of the correct stuff. Maybe give him a call.

My parents use a company called "Lazy Acres" lawncare I believe. They had a MAJOR problem with crabgrass and foxtail I believe it was, and that's why they hired this company. The guy has done an amazing turnaround with what just seems to be timely application of the correct stuff. Maybe give him a call.

I was told earlier in the season that you have one opportunity to control crabgrass and thats in the spring before it starts. Once it starts nothing will remove it until it goes dormant during winter. Dont know validity but your customer may have to deal with it until winter, then treat/preventer come spring before it actively grows. I have spent hundreds trying to kill it during mid season with no luck, I will try again in spring.

I was told earlier in the season that you have one opportunity to control crabgrass and thats in the spring before it starts. Once it starts nothing will remove it until it goes dormant during winter. Dont know validity but your customer may have to deal with it until winter, then treat/preventer come spring before it actively grows. I have spent hundreds trying to kill it during mid season with no luck, I will try again in spring.

That sounds like it may be right. I know my parents were pulling all of it last fall, and this guy made it clear that pulling it is definitely the wrong approach. Treating it over time is best, leaving it in place so you know where it's rooted...

Fall is the best time to do any kind of planting or seeding. I would suggest sod for the instant gratification factor.

Is that with adding new soil or just tilling whats there? If you sod out the bad thats currently there, til existing soil, and resod, is the crabgrass still there? Or would new soil being added and new sod be a permanent fix?

Alright, this is absolutely the best guy i know. He is very informative and knows his shit. His name is ED, he works with Hidden creek landscaping. He has worked for brickman, and shemin nursery for years.

Telephone: (614) 777-4254 Name ED, he may be backed up at this time of year but may be able to squeeze you in. Let him know i sent you his way.

water it shanton and toss seed on it. itll come back

I have used seed after seed using this method and it never comes back. Soil that doesnt maintain itself is either to rich or lacking something. Even if you used this method theres nothing protecting the seed and with dry soil comes compaction, it would at least need tilled in.

The problem with mono-cultures is there tends to be something removed from the soil that creates a better environment for various poly-cultures. You have large blade grass and it sucks the soil down so it can't sustain itself anymore and the low nutrient soil is available for robust grasses like crab grass. If it has taken hold, it will not be easy to remove. My suggestion, get a sod buster and pull up the whole area. Bring in some comtil or high-organic topsoil (don't use that promix crap). Now is the perfect time for this. Plant new grass seed, put the seed down fairly dense and use a slit seeder (100% soil contact is important). Once you have the grass seeded you can cover it with oat straw but that isn't important with a slit seeder. The important thing is to water, water, water. Get 1/2" on the ground in the morning and mid day. Once its up, you want to make sure you put down a pre-emergent EARLY spring.

Thanks for the referrals guys its just what I needed,

Ill keep ED in mind.

I just sent BrianZ06 a message.

I really think it needs pulled and re applied. 24/7 "eric" pretty much hit it on the nose. The people I deal with in that area want it "now" or correct.

This could be a great account for me next year I just want to learn in the process.

If you were in my area I would be all over your yard. I just do not have any work in that area. My suggestion for crabgrass is to slice/slit seed those areas heavy in early to mid fall since crabgrass goes dormant in the winter. Now with that said the crabgrass seeds will still be their waiting to take off and grow next spring. You should then apply your pre-emergment for crabgrass to kill the seeds before the temperature reachs into the 50 degree temps for 3 days or more.