Mustang Help Please

FormulaMatt

I am looking at getting this Mustang. It is a 1991 GT 5 speed. The guy selling it really seems to have no clue about the car or cars in general. He bought it with what he said it has in it already done. It idles considerably rough at low rpms until warm. I am assuming that to probably be the IAC. My bigger concern is when you get on it in first gear like WOT it bucks majorly. When you go WOT in second gear it just feels like there is no power at all. Any ideas on what could be causing this? When the car is warm it sounds great and strong and makes no engine noises or smoke. He did say it would need new O2 sensors. Could that do it?

Mods I know of are Mac long tubes, mac h pipe and flow masters with dumps. It also has a loud fuel pump. He said he thinks it has a cam in it...after it warmed up it idled with no lope at all. I don't think it has a cam. I think he was mistaking the rough idle from the IAC? for cam lope. It would be a straight up trade and I really like the car, but don't want a complete nightmare either. I have VERY little into what I am trading so I really want to do this trade.

Help please! Thanks!

I am looking at getting this Mustang. It is a 1991 GT 5 speed. The guy selling it really seems to have no clue about the car or cars in general. He bought it with what he said it has in it already done. It idles considerably rough at low rpms until warm. I am assuming that to probably be the IAC. My bigger concern is when you get on it in first gear like WOT it bucks majorly. When you go WOT in second gear it just feels like there is no power at all. Any ideas on what could be causing this? When the car is warm it sounds great and strong and makes no engine noises or smoke. He did say it would need new O2 sensors. Could that do it?

Mods I know of are Mac long tubes, mac h pipe and flow masters with dumps. It also has a loud fuel pump. He said he thinks it has a cam in it...after it warmed up it idled with no lope at all. I don't think it has a cam. I think he was mistaking the rough idle from the IAC? for cam lope. It would be a straight up trade and I really like the car, but don't want a complete nightmare either. I have VERY little into what I am trading so I really want to do this trade.

Help please! Thanks!

Just my opinion but sounds more the like the maf sensor with the rough idle, bucking, ect.

Just my opinion but sounds more the like the maf sensor with the rough idle, bucking, ect.

Agreed.

It has been my experience that the IAC works or doesn't, not typically in between. I also sorta suspect something to do with EGR (bad or bypassed incorrectly). Could also be a bad vaccum leak.

When you go WOT in second gear it just feels like there is no power at all. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

thats typical for a bolton 5.0 :lolguy:. theyre slow as balls. but the good thing about them is parts are dirt cheap. worst case scenario if it needs a motor, u can hop on craigslist or any local mustang forum and find a complete running longblock for $150. as far as the misfiring, look into what everyone else said and there is also a possibility that the timing could be off a few deg.