Arduino nerds around?

Akula

Side note, I was at Micro Center the other day and I asked about where their Arduino's were, and no one had any idea wtf I was talking about.

yes, they are all dumb, part of why i left. they are to the right of the returns counter

do they have arduinos?

yes

Ryan said they did...

yes

I see they have some in stock. My mother in law works for Microcenter. I wonder if I can get the employee discount.

friends and family discounts are coming up, so she would be able to do it for you if you came in. discounts are pretty drastic on arduino stuff, go for it.

Help me to understand what your trying to do. You to want use a motor drive to keep some solar panels facing the sun for optimal power?

The problem is much simpler than you are thinking right now. First theres no reason to have dual axis since the sun moves in one direction. You simply need a motor on a shaft angled at about 39-40 degrees north. One good source of motors would be a telescopes drive assembly. This would also give you the hardware interface to connect to a PC. Next you just build a very simple program to cause it to drive backwards in order to reset the system to east for when the sun rises the next day.

Help me to understand what your trying to do. You to want use a motor drive to keep some solar panels facing the sun for optimal power?

The problem is much simpler than you are thinking right now. First theres no reason to have dual axis since the sun moves in one direction. You simply need a motor on a shaft angled at about 39-40 degrees north. One good source of motors would be a telescopes drive assembly. This would also give you the hardware interface to connect to a PC. Next you just build a very simple program to cause it to drive backwards in order to reset the system to east for when the sun rises the next day.

The sun doesn't track in one direction all year. From my back yard, the sun rises on the left side of my yard in the winter, and sets on the right side, tracking to the south of my house all day. In the summer it rises in the left, but sets in front of my house on the right. The angle the sun strikes the earth changes throughout the year, its how we get "seasons".

At noon the sun is higher in the sky.

so, I need to track left to right, and follow the sun into the sky and back down, 2 axis.

Edited by Akula
forgot to add noon

• 2 months later...
Where did you get traffic lights?

I know some people that work for various cities in OH that after taking the old ones down they take them and sell them or give them away :) My garage looks like a traffic light blew up inside with all of them just sitting there lol. Its turned into a strange hobby of mine.

Want to get rid of a few, and tell me what kind of relays you used? :)

haha I wont be selling mine most are hard to come by, but if my friend has any more left over the next time he takes some down i will grab some for ya. I used a TRIAC and an optoisolator on each one to drive the lights ;)