First time @ Mid Ohio (with a spin)

bmwohio

Looks good, but that camera angle is tough to read. Try mounting it so the angle is perpendicular to the road. I have spun there too, well just after the crest. Your tires were screaming at you! What were you running?

At the end of thunder valley going through that 2nd fastest turn on the track, you hit it great, but try tracking out to the right all the way over next time.

Check out mine at 2:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW6T88pHUig

This was last year I think with crappy tires.

Kale, I think something important you left out was that this was your first time ever doing a track day. You really did well out there and showed enough to your instructor to get moved up a run group on your very first day. I know you auto-x regularly which helps but you really did very well out there.

Couple general observations. You seem a little worked up at points ESP right before the spin. Deep breath on each straight along with a finger stretch on the wheel will force you to think about relaxing. You can see your inputs get more abrupt and your shoulders even coming forward. It's exciting stuff out there you just need reminders to relax and have fun a couple times per lap

Technical stuff:

You're solid up to t7

Use all the road on exit of turn 7 and stay out there. 8 is a throw away turn so maximize all the speed you can get out of 7 and you'll get quite a run up the inside of 8

T8 need to be up on the inside curb and be there early. Need to be on the power and unwinding the wheel and tracking out before you get over the top of the hill. Track out at least half way there. Your pinching the exit costing speed and you'll eventually risk spinning if you keep that much input on the wheel

T9 is good try to use the inside curb to rotate the car this is the one place it's ok to not use all the road on exit. You should be able to be full throttle from here until the entry for t11

10b. Don't use that inside curb. You want to be about a half lane wide of the apex curbing here as it gives you a straight shot to the turn in point for 11. There's a faint black box on the road here you want to straggle coming down the hill.

I'm going to disagree with other comments on the entry to t11. Mid Ohio school specifically preaches to stay off that outside curb. It upsets the car too much if your near the limit

T12. Again use all the road on exit. There's dirt past the exit curb that is the real end of track out. No need to go back left for the entry to 13

...but all of this will come in time. If you ask me you killed it out there for it being your first time

You came out of T10 and didn't track out. You should almost have 2 wheels off when you turn into T11. I pretty much drive a stright line out from the apex of 10, you were pinching in and you didn't set the front end in with the brake/scrub.

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it......

Looks good, but that camera angle is tough to read. Try mounting it so the angle is perpendicular to the road. I have spun there too, well just after the crest. Your tires were screaming at you! What were you running?

At the end of thunder valley going through that 2nd fastest turn on the track, you hit it great, but try tracking out to the right all the way over next time.

Check out mine at 2:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW6T88pHUig

This was last year I think with crappy tires.

I have an extension so I can mount it to the inside back window and I forgot it that morning, so I had to make due with what I had......I really wanted a view out the front of the car too, trust me.....I bought some Hankook Evo V12's and they are pretty much at full tread, so they were screaming for mercy.....I'm used to running Hoosier A6's for autocross, so I may try the R6's next time.....

Kale, I think something important you left out was that this was your first time ever doing a track day. You really did well out there and showed enough to your instructor to get moved up a run group on your very first day. I know you auto-x regularly which helps but you really did very well out there.

Couple general observations. You seem a little worked up at points ESP right before the spin. Deep breath on each straight along with a finger stretch on the wheel will force you to think about relaxing. You can see your inputs get more abrupt and your shoulders even coming forward. It's exciting stuff out there you just need reminders to relax and have fun a couple times per lap

Technical stuff:

You're solid up to t7

Use all the road on exit of turn 7 and stay out there. 8 is a throw away turn so maximize all the speed you can get out of 7 and you'll get quite a run up the inside of 8

T8 need to be up on the inside curb and be there early. Need to be on the power and unwinding the wheel and tracking out before you get over the top of the hill. Track out at least half way there. Your pinching the exit costing speed and you'll eventually risk spinning if you keep that much input on the wheel

T9 is good try to use the inside curb to rotate the car this is the one place it's ok to not use all the road on exit. You should be able to be full throttle from here until the entry for t11

10b. Don't use that inside curb. You want to be about a half lane wide of the apex curbing here as it gives you a straight shot to the turn in point for 11. There's a faint black box on the road here you want to straggle coming down the hill.

I'm going to disagree with other comments on the entry to t11. Mid Ohio school specifically preaches to stay off that outside curb. It upsets the car too much if your near the limit

T12. Again use all the road on exit. There's dirt past the exit curb that is the real end of track out. No need to go back left for the entry to 13

...but all of this will come in time. If you ask me you killed it out there for it being your first time

Thanks for the constructive critisism.....yeah I was defeintely not as relaxed as I should be.....I was pretty shook up that day from seeing that wreck in front of me, so I think I was second guessing each turn.....that spin didn't help much :mad:

I look forward to many more in the future......