2005 r6 blown motor

Tindall2006

So after doing a oil change today and filling up the tank my r6 took a shit! Throwing a rod through the block so the motor is toast. Not sure if heads or anything else is going to be salvagable... I still owe about 2 grand on the bike so I am debating what to do.

Option one is find a new r6 motor and drop it in, any idea what type of price range I am looking at?

Option two, would a r1 motor swap in with ease? Maybe a diffrent motor with more power?

Option three, buy a new bike, either a r1 or r6 and try to part mine out to make up the difference... Anyone have experience in parting out bikes?

throw me your tips and Idea's... I am thinking this will cost around 2 grand to fix.

I got the motor pulled, I am getting a new one for 800 from a junkyard tomorrow. Pretty decent price from what I have seen on ebay they are 900 to 1300...

Yes, I put oil in it, the drain plug as in and there was no signs of leaks. It was my first thought when I heard it start knocking. Here is the story.

I was on base leaving the auto craft shop after changing the oil, I had spent a few hours in the woodshop too working on another project. As I was riding towards the gate I felt the bike lose power, my first thought was it felt like it had droped a cylinder like a plug fouled out or something (reverts back to my 2 stroke snowmobile days) I kept going as I didn't think it was a huge issues and once I got to the gate I heard knocking. I quickly pulled over and checked to see if maybe the drain plug or oil filtter had come lose. I saw no evidence of oil leakage and oil leval was good. I said screw it, if it's knocking the engine is already done for and I figured I would try to milk it home 2 miles. Yes, i knew the results of the decision at the time, but I didn't care as I had milked a knocking engine home before (o so great 4g63). I got about a mile down the road and heard the famous sticks in a lawnmower sounds and felt the back tire lock up. I pulled in the clutch pulled over and saw a puddle of oil by my feet and found a hole in the number 2 cylinder in the front of the crankcase bottom half.

Upon pulling the motor out I noticed both exhaust valves are mission, I think the intake valves too and the connecting rod is broken in the middle. The remaining oil was milky and didn't show any signs of metal. The rod bearings is also intact so I don't think I spun a rod like I originally thought. I think what happened is I lost a valve or valves, then they started bouncing around in the engine (knocking noise) and they finally locked the piston in the cylinder breaking the rod. I never had any idiot lights come on either. I also found a peice of the valve stem inside of the manifold. It was rather long too, maybe it was a intake valve that fell into the cylinder, then broke I will look at the intake side tomorrow.

I hope this is legible as I suck at typing! Any questions ask, I am curious what ya'll think might have happened. The engine had 11k on it so I am thinking this is either a fluke, or a byproduct of the previous owner trying to beat his top speed! (high load, high rpm for long periods of time)

From the sounds of it you were up on maintenance. One thing you missed was the 10-11k tightening maintenance. This was definitely a result of a loose fairing.

:dumb: