410WHP Cam Only C5Z06 vs 577WHP 5.0 Mustang GT

Linn1647545492

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

meh, who knows. so many factors to take into account--didn't seem like there was poor shifting or traction issues on the first race.

a mustang with that power level should excel in that race. the mustang has 170rwhp advantage, yet probably weighs 3600 at least, without driver (given the added weight of a blower). vette likely has 400lb weight advantage, as well as the aero advantage. who knows??

stock c6z's dyno around 440rwhp to 450rwhp, and weigh right around 3200lbs. getting out of my vette and sitting in my 590rwhp cobra, i can definitely tell the cobra is faster (for now)--there's no doubt. it takes about 550rwhp in a cobra (which weighs about the same as the stang in the video) to hang with a stock c6z.

I dunno, maybe? my cam only c5z ='d 420whp. I suck at drag racing so no good times there, but lotta c5z's making the same are trapping 118ish?

My camaro walked every 03-04 cobra I ever raced making way less power.

Sean's yellow Cobra was the only cobra I raced that ran like a 550+ rwhp car should have run.

Sean's yellow Cobra was the only cobra I raced that ran like a 550+ rwhp car should have run.

I beat a few "450-500" hp cobras too with bolt on's and spray making about the same power or less than the cobras did. I beat a friends cobra, on motor, that made 460 something. he thought I was on spray until he later rode in my car on spray and then believed me.

Don't get me wrong cobras can be fast but my experience is similar to linn's when I raced cobras, especially on the highway I always beat them, they would heat soak and the gap always got bigger with each race.

I never raced any super fast ones tho, I dunno maybe I got lucky lol or had the driver mod

O and nice video both cars are quick

I dunno, maybe? my cam only c5z ='d 420whp. I suck at drag racing so no good times there, but lotta c5z's making the same are trapping 118ish?

My friends cammed C5Z06 has gone 120 or 121 with about the same rwhp, so I know what they can do. My car made 481rwhp SAE two weeks ago. Went 126.88 last night, so what the hell is wrong with that 550 wheel car? Heat is the enemy of the 03/04's, but still.

You got walked in this vid (0:55) by the black cobra ;)

Trix and Linn -

Thats funny because my bone stock '03 before I modded it I walked several C5s from a roll easy. My favorite was a 20-40roll. A dig and it got tough but up high I took it. So that's a tighter horsepower and weight matchup than the OP vid and what you guys are posting about. Nor did I run across a single fbod that I didn't either pull or on stay nose to nose or walk clean away from.

People you LS guys raced must have sucked.

I never had any problem with any fbod or vette until I got into the modded z06s, and once I started tinkering and got her to the high 400s the gaps only got wider. Hell, the first CR person I had a problem with was Kenny (rip) - rofl. In my defense: I was sucking shifting on that one, but his converter was slipping so it was a wierd race. Ok and yeah heat soaked. But any SC driver, I don't care what car it is, that runs em back to back is a moron.

I see a little anecdotal revisionist history going on here.

The SC Cobras were the real deal. LOL 8 years later and people STILL have a problem with it. lol

Trix and Linn -

Thats funny because my bone stock '03 before I modded it I walked several C5s from a roll easy. My favorite was a 20-40roll. A dig and it got tough but up high I took it. So that's a tighter horsepower and weight matchup than the OP vid and what you guys are posting about. Nor did I run across a single fbod that I didn't either pull or on stay nose to nose or walk clean away from.

People you LS guys raced must have sucked.

I never had any problem with any fbod or vette until I got into the modded z06s, and once I started tinkering and got her to the high 400s the gaps only got wider. Hell, the first CR person I had a problem with was Kenny (rip) - rofl. In my defense: I was sucking shifting on that one, but his converter was slipping so it was a wierd race. Ok and yeah heat soaked. But any SC driver, I don't care what car it is, that runs em back to back is a moron.

I see a little anecdotal revisionist history going on here.

The SC Cobras were the real deal. LOL 8 years later and people STILL have a problem with it. lol

I don't have anything wrong with them, nor do I think your not telling the truth. Just saying I have beat cobras that made more hp than me, and I still would make a little less power.

Like I said driver mod lol. My car hooked pretty good with my moser 9 in and et streets too

I've seen plenty of races where I've thought WTF?

Best example is my friends 446hp 99 z28 beat another friends 55xhp blown 01 mustang...from a roll and dig. Obviously really bad from a stop since the z was on slicks.

I mean, the guy with the cobra I am talking about was on SRD... and was no horrible driver. I am sure he would vouche for this race... now if we raced after he whippled, it would have been a different story... though if we raced today, it may be the same result as our first race...

I mean, the guy with the cobra I am talking about was on SRD... and was no horrible driver. I am sure he would vouche for this race... now if we raced after he whippled, it would have been a different story... though if we raced today, it may be the same result as our first race...

AJ's silver one? That's the one I beat off spray from a roll when he was ported, pullied and other bolt on's. I only had just headers/exhaust and a tune at the time. I only put a car on him, but he didn't believe I was off the nitrous lol. His car was fast after the whipple, sqaulie raced him after aj got the whipple and after Tony got his heads, and said they were close.

Also I remember the closest race I've ever seen was between your rx7 and Tony.

Corys old pullied cobra would have made a cam only c5z look slow.....its all about the driver and set up in cobras. and linn, telling stories from 5 years ago when you raced 500+ rwhp cobras on street tires with them in between gears dosen't count..lol

my car wasn't in the video. still waiting to get my auto set up sorted out--getting frustrated. i did have my car running with the auto for all of 20 miles and it was insane---much, much faster than with the 6 speed. my car is still set up with a whipple at 17psi, and full rear suspension, now with (hopefully soon) stalled, built, 4r70w auto.

most cobras ran slower than expected due to several factors::

soooo easy to make 460+rwhp and 480+rwtq, with nothing more than a pulley swap, catback, and filter/tune/plugs---less than $1k to add over 100rwhp. that brings traction issues and wheelhop with the IRS. suspension for this car requires quite a bit more time/money investment, and is simply overlooked most of the time. the car is heavier than an fbody (think driving around with an extra adult passenger), and much heavier than a vette. heat kills these cars---back to back passes on the highway=blown motor, or crazy heat soak. again, its an investment to properly cool one of these cars, and it is simply overlooked.

before i swapped in the solid rear axle and the auto, my car trapped 129mph with my amateur driving in the florida heat.