03 Acura TL trans rebuild

Ian_12

Possibly going to be rebuilding auto trans from 2003 Acura TL. I have a guy who has had the car into the dealer twice for replacements, and they made him pay at least once for this recall. He had trans replaced by dealer, then 6 months later, it failed again only to them making him pay for it. Well it has gone out again and a family friend referenced me to him. The guy wants me to rebuild it, but I am unsure about the second gear in it and why, even after redesigns, that trans still fails. With the uncertainty of whether trans will last after the rebuild, leads me to want to install a Jasper unit so he has their replacement warranty. So has anyone dealt with one of these transaxles before?

That is my thought too. But it will be a bit hard to convince him to spend nearly $3000 for the Jasper unit when I could rebuild it for about $800-$1000, parts depending, out the door. Unless I have to install it, then both prices go up. I keep trying to push the whole warranty thing, because I have no clue why they keep failing. Seems even after jet kits are installed, the trans would still drop second gear and even lock up. I would honestly love to know if a 2010 or newer trans would fit it. lol, we had some issues with them, but they kept going.

I have warned him I am leery of rebuilding since the cause of failure isn't quite known. Honda adds a oil jet kit to get fluid to second gear, yet trans have still failed after this. Epiphany...........thinking back to what he said is wrong, it drove fine till trans heated up and then didn't want to move. I believe he said this happened a couple times, so I don't think its the recall failure of second gear this time. I am starting to think its burnt up clutches. Honda has had issues with transaxles not being able to handle power, so guess I just need to get that trans and see if it is the clutches. Of course I am not sure if the engine revs with no movement, or if he means trans locks up. Really wish I wasn't so focused on the recall then putting the pieces together.

I have warned him I am leery of rebuilding since the cause of failure isn't quite known. Honda adds a oil jet kit to get fluid to second gear, yet trans have still failed after this. Epiphany...........thinking back to what he said is wrong, it drove fine till trans heated up and then didn't want to move. I believe he said this happened a couple times, so I don't think its the recall failure of second gear this time. I am starting to think its burnt up clutches. Honda has had issues with transaxles not being able to handle power, so guess I just need to get that trans and see if it is the clutches. Of course I am not sure if the engine revs with no movement, or if he means trans locks up. Really wish I wasn't so focused on the recall then putting the pieces together.

I can tell you now that the recall oil jet kit is ONLY a band aid "NOT" a fix, if they had a Honda re-man transmission installed by an Acura dealer and it failed with in 6 months then its still under warranty depending on mileage, Honda re-man units have a 1yr 12,000 mile warranty, if they call customer relations and do a fair amount of bitching Honda will take care of it.

not saying they did this, but we have customers come in complaining about having a transmission installed by a dealer and it fails, then they expect us to take care of it, so when we do an inspection turns out either they had a hack shop install a used transmission or have had a tranny shop do a half ass rebuild when in reality it was never done by a dealer.

This is the #1 reason I was mad about my 03 Accord Purchase. Here I went and paid for a great looking loaded up new car only to find a band-aid fix to an issue that I was not aware of when I purchased it.

Every now and then I wish I still had that car, but times like this and tons of others that I know going through Transmission issues, I'm not.

This is the #1 reason I was mad about my 03 Accord Purchase. Here I went and paid for a great looking loaded up new car only to find a band-aid fix to an issue that I was not aware of when I purchased it.

Every now and then I wish I still had that car, but times like this and tons of others that I know going through Transmission issues, I'm not.

if it was inspected and the 2nd gear was black/burnt then the trans will be replaced at Honda's expense not yours. also we've had a lot of customers come in that got a free transmission because they called Honda customer service and complained

Yeah, the guy told me the original was replaced. 6 months later, it went out again and he had to pay the bill. This last one, I am not sure how long it lasted. He went back to same dealer he bought it from, same one he always went to, and they said he would pay full bill for another trans. This is all he has told me. So he took it to another shop to see what they said and they wanted to drop a used trans in it. He told them to wait, shop pulled trans, and now he has his car apart and wants to see what I can do. I mean the car is down in Columbus, and I am up here in BFE. But I told him not to get a used one since it will be unknown what will happen.

I want to help the guy out, but its almost like a damned if I do and damned if I don't situation. All I know is, he is bringing me the trans sometime this week I believe (while I also have to figure out why the IP completely went out on his van) so maybe I will have some updates maybe pictures of it.

if it was inspected and the 2nd gear was black/burnt then the trans will be replaced at Honda's expense not yours. also we've had a lot of customers come in that got a free transmission because they called Honda customer service and complained

Mine wasn't damaged. They applied the band aid at like 10k miles on the ODO. They can replace it for free but that's not what I was nor will ever be interested in having on a car. BS. I don't need the issues of having a tranny replaced. Outside the car thing, my life is way, way to busy to be spent jerking around with warranty work. Honda isn't what it's cracked up to be in all cases. IMO the civic was the best thing they had in terms of value.

The Accord I had was really a nice car. However, I had to go through and fix a ton of squeaks and rattles on my own. I ended up dropping the entire roof and pulling the seats / carpet and appying dynomat everywhere. It was as quite if not better than a Lexus when I was done with it. Noticeably different than stock. No thanks. Gave them a try and didn't impress me. So far the Fusion has been bullet proof; and I beat the hell out of it.

Mine wasn't damaged. They applied the band aid at like 10k miles on the ODO. They can replace it for free but that's not what I was nor will ever be interested in having on a car. BS. I don't need the issues of having a tranny replaced. Outside the car thing, my life is way, way to busy to be spent jerking around with warranty work. Honda isn't what it's cracked up to be in all cases. IMO the civic was the best thing they had in terms of value.

The Accord I had was really a nice car. However, I had to go through and fix a ton of squeaks and rattles on my own. I ended up dropping the entire roof and pulling the seats / carpet and appying dynomat everywhere. It was as quite if not better than a Lexus when I was done with it. Noticeably different than stock. No thanks. Gave them a try and didn't impress me. So far the Fusion has been bullet proof; and I beat the hell out of it.

I can say the squeaks and rattles are 100x worse on Honda/Acura cars now

Yeah, the guy told me the original was replaced. 6 months later, it went out again and he had to pay the bill. This last one, I am not sure how long it lasted. He went back to same dealer he bought it from, same one he always went to, and they said he would pay full bill for another trans. This is all he has told me. So he took it to another shop to see what they said and they wanted to drop a used trans in it. He told them to wait, shop pulled trans, and now he has his car apart and wants to see what I can do. I mean the car is down in Columbus, and I am up here in BFE. But I told him not to get a used one since it will be unknown what will happen.

I want to help the guy out, but its almost like a damned if I do and damned if I don't situation. All I know is, he is bringing me the trans sometime this week I believe (while I also have to figure out why the IP completely went out on his van) so maybe I will have some updates maybe pictures of it.

is the car at the dealership here in Columbus or tranny shop?

Its called business. I've warned him it is unknown what will happen if rebuilt and junkyard units. So that is why I suggested Jasper since he will at least get a good warranty on it. I am not doing anything till I get that trans and check it out. I'm going to check for signs of the blue covered bolts, oil jet kit, check inside for burnt gear, and get history of what dealer has already done before I tear it open. I think he understands everything I have told him. So just waiting for now. Plus I basically work for Honda, might be able to get some of these R&D guys to help me.

The guy is a preacher. He is helping the preacher of the church my dad use to go to (they are good friends) since he has ALS and so they are good friends. It isn't a shady mother fucker, as I wouldn't bother with such a person.

Its called business. I've warned him it is unknown what will happen if rebuilt and junkyard units. So that is why I suggested Jasper since he will at least get a good warranty on it. I am not doing anything till I get that trans and check it out. I'm going to check for signs of the blue covered bolts, oil jet kit, check inside for burnt gear, and get history of what dealer has already done before I tear it open. I think he understands everything I have told him. So just waiting for now. Plus I basically work for Honda, might be able to get some of these R&D guys to help me.

get me the Vin # and I can tell you what dealer installed it, when it was installed and if the oil jet kit has ever been done. now if the transmission has been replaced the oil jet kit doesn't get swapped over so if its not there that doesn't mean it wasn't inspected.

one other thing, if the transmission is slipping it has nothing to do with the 2nd gear recall, that recall was for lack of fluid and the transmission locking up while driving thus creating an accident causing serious injury or death. If you want to do a quick 2nd gear check disconnect the harness from the speed sensor and remove it(sits on top of the transmission next to the fill bolt), use compressed air and blow of the gear, shine a light down and look at the gear to determine.

you want to know who i don't trust. ppl that go to church especially the ones that sit in the front row. they feel they should be there for one reason or another...

100% agreed

I have a 2001 acura cl-s and it has a 122,000 miles on it and its still on the same original auto trans. It shifts like butter. I believe its one of the lowest millege 2001 cl-s around. No hard shifts from 1st to 2nd like some I have seen.

Thanks,

Eric

most of the hard shifts are either from a bad front engine mount, or a bad side engine mount

Well the guy has not called me back. I truly don't know exactly what is up with it. The guy is a talker, but is hard to get him to talk about what was going on with it. I wish the vehicle was still together so I could see what was wrong.

But like you said, I don't see it being the second gear issue. At first I did, because I saw the recall and was narrow minded on that. All I ever got from him was it seemed to drive (at least a couple times) but not far. It seemed that once it started to warm up, it either wouldn't shift/wouldn't accelerate anymore. It is just taking too long, so who knows what this guy will do now.