Car completely shut off while driving

TurboGoKart

Just driving down the road, my car lost allllll power. All lights, engine, everything. I know my battery was getting low, but what the hell would cause this?! Waiting on a tow right now. Even if the battery went all dead, the alternator *should* power the car, right? Unless it wasn't charging the battery at all, in which case it may shut it all down? Ugh. 1990 Nissan 240.

Mine just did that last week. It turned out that the wire from the ignition to the computer had worn through so the computer wasn't turning on. Most of the lights on the dash were flashing randomly though, and my radio worked, but that was it.

Either the power wasn't getting from the alternator (bad wire or connection) or the alternator quit charging. I've seen may times were the battery gets weak and will barely start the car, and that puts a heavy load on the alternator trying to charge the battery then both end up going bad. No matter what went bad on the car (sounds like alternator to me), make sure the battery is fully charged and tests good before you head out or you could end up with more issues.

Mine just did that last week. It turned out that the wire from the ignition to the computer had worn through so the computer wasn't turning on. Most of the lights on the dash were flashing randomly though, and my radio worked, but that was it.

This definitely isn't my problem. I have zero power. Zero. Haha. :)

Scott, that sounds like what happened. I'll pull the alternator and have it tested, then buy a new one when they tell me this one is bad. :)

Absolutely no connection problems. No corrosion anywhere. I had just finally mounted my battery cut off switch on the rear of the car instead of hanging out inside the car, so I wondered if it might be that. I connected the two wires together to bypass the cutoff switch, but still a no go.

So it sounds like the alternator. I'm leaving for the weekend in a few, but I will jump on this when I get back. Thanks for all your help guys. That was a new one on me lol.

I'm an idiot. I tested the battery, 12.58v. Wth?? Hooked it back up, no nothing. So I started tracing the power wire, got to the front passenger kick panel, and forgot I had run the 1 or 2 gauge main battery line up there to a splitter box. What was in the box making a connection? A fuse. Wait, a blown fuse. Fuse did what it should though, because it looks like one of the power wires going out of there into the engine bay may have rubbed somewhere, as there was a little melted plastic from the splitter box where the fuse blew. Well hey, knowing is half the battle, right?! :)

:dumb:

I'm an idiot. I tested the battery, 12.58v. Wth?? Hooked it back up, no nothing. So I started tracing the power wire, got to the front passenger kick panel, and forgot I had run the 1 or 2 gauge main battery line up there to a splitter box. What was in the box making a connection? A fuse. Wait, a blown fuse. Fuse did what it should though, because it looks like one of the power wires going out of there into the engine bay may have rubbed somewhere, as there was a little melted plastic from the splitter box where the fuse blew. Well hey, knowing is half the battle, right?! :)

:dumb:

So I guess your PCM must have been cut off from getting power then. Glad you got it figured out.