Bye Bye Rotary Engines

justcause

COLLECTOR'S ITEM!!!!QUOTE]

That would make me quite happy. I have no plans to sell, ever. Just would like the respect in engineering I have for the car to be appreciated on a larger scale.

Gents we care for our car's, therefore, they run. No jinxing good build and maintance.

I notice that motor like most doritos is not installed and thus not running!(Sorry, had to take my stab, waiting on litany of 14 sec slow mustang jokes).

Your car runs 14s. Hush.

I read all these rotory engine stabs, and I think to myself, I'm pretty sure Carl, Yasser, Chris(FD), Chris(FC), Kevin, and myself have all had our cars up and running for a few years now. Unless one does a change in a build/set up, I'm pretty sure these have all been running with no blown Apex seals or major issues.

Though, I have noticed several posts from V8 owners whos cars are down. It happens. I get it.

The only reason mine is currently down is because I am changing the setup, painting the engine bay, and adding new things. I just rarely have time to work on it (due to college). Other than that, it ran like a charm the day I pulled the engine.

Just would like the respect in engineering I have for the car to be appreciated on a larger scale.

Gents we care for our car's, therefore, they run. No jinxing good build and maintance.

Amen. The majority of CR does not understand this.

Some of you, depending on your nerd level, may enjoy what I am doing right now for my undergrad senior project. I am putting together a presentation on the mathematics behind the Wankell rotary. So far, the project dives into the fundamental mathematics (Trochoidal Motion) of it. I am hoping to incorporate some physics with it as well.

Your car runs 14s. Hush.

The only reason mine is currently down is because I am changing the setup, painting the engine bay, and adding new things. I just rarely have time to work on it (due to college). Other than that, it ran like a charm the day I pulled the engine.

Amen. The majority of CR does not understand this.

Some of you, depending on your nerd level, may enjoy what I am doing right now for my undergrad senior project. I am putting together a presentation on the mathematics behind the Wankell rotary. So far, the project dives into the fundamental mathematics (Trochoidal Motion) of it. I am hoping to incorporate some physics with it as well.

You going to have it running by next summer? I can tell you I won't be in the 14's anymore and the white whale will drag that dorito down the track!

Like I said, props to mazda for making it work, it's a neat motor in it's own right but it just can't compete with the technology thats behind the piston engines, I.e. make enough power, tq, mpgs, emissions, etc.

GOODBYE GOD FORSAKEN DORITO.

HUSH! :fuuuu:

You going to have it running by next summer? I can tell you I won't be in the 14's anymore and the white whale will drag that dorito down the track!

Yes, I will have it running by next summer. I just need more time. If speed is what you are looking for, then I can nut swing from a certain four cylinder car I used to own. I would say meet me at Mid-Ohio, but I don't fit in the car with a helmet on :mad:

The RX8 is dying. The Renesis is dying. The rotary engine is not. It will be back, but its development was delayed. I'm sure with direct injection and psudo-cylinder deactivation they will continue to evolve. Jones, Audi is even using a wankel in their A1 ER-EV.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/11/mazda-tweet-confirms-next-gen-rotory-engine-with-skyactiv-tech/

Yes, I will have it running by next summer. I just need more time. If speed is what you are looking for, then I can nut swing from a certain four cylinder car I used to own. I would say meet me at Mid-Ohio, but I don't fit in the car with a helmet on :mad:

:dumb::dumb::dumb::dumb:

I do know the feeling when it comes to the helmet, you've seen me in the dorito with one!!

But yes, to your point, the LS swap isn't quite the easy street that people make it out to be.

Its pretty easy, what exactly have you heard i'm curious. My car has been running for 2 yrs (with the swap) and just had my first failure.....an alternator.

Truth is I gave the rotary a shot, actually two of them. Maybe my build skills suck or I was juts unlucky. The rotary is cool, completely different from other motors, obviously. I do give you guys props that stay with the rotary because of its uniqueness and keeping the rotary alive but I just was tired of funding the experiment out of my own pocket.

If the rotary does come back out it will be interesting to see if they develop any new technologies to meet the requirements of today's car market.

Its pretty easy, what exactly have you heard i'm curious. My car has been running for 2 yrs (with the swap) and just had my first failure.....an alternator.

A friend of mine had a ls-swapped FD that was built by a reputable shop that was a continual headache for him. He actually blew the LS1 up twice, and always seemed to have swap related problems. I guess it's possible for the trouble to go both ways.

I'm certainly not saying the rotary is a "set it and forget it" situation, but that's also some of the appeal. The basics are the same as piston motors, but more important to stick to. Keep the motor (Coolant AND oil) temps down and let it warm all the way up before beating on it. I'm also a big believer in water injection on turbo rotaries. I've run a basic coolingmist setup on mine for over 2 years now and could not be happier.

Audi couldn't get it right. Their attempts were cute though :dumb:

That's why u mad, bro

El oh el.

Whatever bro....

Doritos are crap....:dumb:

I would expect something a little better than that from an educated person such as yourself.

I've run a basic coolingmist setup on mine for over 2 years now and could not be happier.

That is one of the first things I will be doing to mine as soon as I get it back on the road.

I would expect something a little better than that from an educated person such as yourself.

It's only being used in an inflammatory way. Do I actually believe rotaries are comprised of fecal matter? Of course not.

Would I own one....not likely however.

:dumb:

Jones we have had this talk before, we both drive brands that get some kind of shit. while Audi has the rep "dont buy out of warranty" you good sir have had no issues. while my car's carry the bad rep of "boost in apex seals out" yet i have not had a single motor issue with 4 different rotary powered cars, maybe its luck on both ends or the fact we know what were doing with our cars. But on a side note i do think your shiny white S4 is sexy ;)