CR ice hockey crew

verse

After about a year and a half of debating I finally went and got a whole setup of ice hockey gear (only beed some XL shoulder pads they were out of stock). I haven't played in probably 12 years. I'd like to meet up with some guys for dropins. What days do you guys go?

Or should I try to go to a stick & puck session first?

Edited by verse

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was okay when I was a kid. At this point I'd say D. I may just go to the stick and puck on Friday to get my skates under me.

That works. FYI, it's $10 now for both Drop In and Stick & Puck. I would totally suggest a Stick & Puck before hitting up a Drop In. Just to get some of your coordination back. :)

I play 3 times a week now. Sunday night for a private Drop In at OSU and Wednesday and Friday mornings at 6:00 AM at the Ice Haus downtown. I also sub Monday night B league, but don't play much because I have two small children at home and try to be home as much as I can for them. Hence my early and late times I play.

When you feel up to it, PM me or refresh this thread and hit up one of those early morning Drop In's... :nod:

That works. FYI, it's $10 now for both Drop In and Stick & Puck. I would totally suggest a Stick & Puck before hitting up a Drop In. Just to get some of your coordination back. :)

I play 3 times a week now. Sunday night for a private Drop In at OSU and Wednesday and Friday mornings at 6:00 AM at the Ice Haus downtown. I also sub Monday night B league, but don't play much because I have two small children at home and try to be home as much as I can for them. Hence my early and late times I play.

When you feel up to it, PM me or refresh this thread and hit up one of those early morning Drop In's... :nod:

Sounds good. I think I'm going to go Friday and Sunday to the stick and pucks. I found out one of my old friends still play on Facebook. We're going to go up there Sunday night.

Is there a place in Cbus for adult beginners? I never played ice hockey b/c it was so expensive as a kid, but street hockey was my life when I was a kid. I can ice skate better than most, I just never had the proper training.

Not sure I even have the money now to sink into hockey but I play soccer 3 times a week and have been loving how much sport I'm playing.

Is there a place in Cbus for adult beginners? I never played ice hockey b/c it was so expensive as a kid, but street hockey was my life when I was a kid. I can ice skate better than most, I just never had the proper training.

Not sure I even have the money now to sink into hockey but I play soccer 3 times a week and have been loving how much sport I'm playing.

Chiller does E and D leagues if you want to start playing.

After about a year and a half of debating I finally went and got a whole setup of ice hockey gear (only beed some XL shoulder pads they were out of stock). I haven't played in probably 12 years. I'd like to meet up with some guys for dropins. What days do you guys go?

Or should I try to go to a stick & puck session first?

You have PM

Yeah, you want the E league that plays on Monday night. It literally is a beginner league, like no experience.

I welcome any of you out there to skate with us Wednesday morning, as we're really looking to solidify that Drop In so the Chiller doesn't cancel it. If you see a guy that looks like this, come say hello, as that's me:

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/180378_1627599327789_1170720062_31678293_5025946_n.jpg

Yeah, you want the E league that plays on Monday night. It literally is a beginner league, like no experience.

I welcome any of you out there to skate with us Wednesday morning, as we're really looking to solidify that Drop In so the Chiller doesn't cancel it. If you see a guy that looks like this, come say hello, as that's me:

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/180378_1627599327789_1170720062_31678293_5025946_n.jpg

Awesome thanks!

I know Play-It-Again would probably be a good place to start for used equipment, any hockey-specific places to save money?

Awesome thanks!

I know Play-It-Again would probably be a good place to start for used equipment, any hockey-specific places to save money?

Unfortunately, no. The only hockey equipment place around here is The Hockey Stop. You might get lucky and find some stuff at Play-It-Again, but I wouldn't bet on finding much. Good luck though... :)

Awesome thanks!

Honestly it depends on your size, but IIRC I thought you were a bigger guy around my size. I went to play it again and got a few things, but they don't have much in XL in Hilliard, that's why I'm heading up to Hockey Stop off Bethel here in a bit to get some XL shoulder pads. You could try the Sawmill Rd store though, Hilliard and Sawmill are the only play-it-again's that keep hockey stuff in stock.

There are some decent deals on previous season gear bundles at some online hockey sites. It seems like $200-300 is the bottom price that you can get outfitted.

Honestly it depends on your size, but IIRC I thought you were a bigger guy around my size. I went to play it again and got a few things, but they don't have much in XL in Hilliard, that's why I'm heading up to Hockey Stop off Bethel here in a bit to get some XL shoulder pads. You could try the Sawmill Rd store though, Hilliard and Sawmill are the only play-it-again's that keep hockey stuff in stock.

There are some decent deals on previous season gear bundles at some online hockey sites. It seems like $200-300 is the bottom price that you can get outfitted.

yup 6'3" 270 (and dropping!) getting in shape is priority #1 but I want to do some sports as well as just straight up cardio. I think I'd make a hell of a blueliner if I can develop some skill.

I'd like to play, but I only have street hockey experience. I was ok at ice skating, but it's been awhile.

for the longest time i let my aversion to being bad at things keep me away from doing what i loved, but it turns out with a little confidence you can get pretty good at anything. I'm playing goalie (in soccer) now at a level I never thought possible when I was in HS mostly just due to a bit more discipline and confidence. I'm hoping the same carries over to hockey someday.

I'd like to play, but I only have street hockey experience. I was ok at ice skating, but it's been awhile.

dude, i grew up the same exact way as you guys. Youngest of 5 parents never had money to sink into ice hockey so i played street and inline growing up. Long story short got back into inline a few years ago then said fuck it, went out and spent some $ on equipment, im at least twice as good at ice as i am at roller now.

My advice, start low. If you dont know where your at skill wise go to a few stick and pucks, then dropin's then email the chiller to get placed on an E league team. I can usually only make the Dublin dropin's at 11am if anyone wants to meet up i'll definitly go. Word of advice, the friday dropin downtown attracts some really good players. Like former collegiate types, A/B league types etc... Ive done it a few times and really just try and keep up.

As for pads, dont waste you money on good shoulder pads. If your not checking you wont need them anyway. And if your just starting out it wont matter b/c how often will you fall onto your chest? yeah never. The basic $20 bauer's work just fine. I hit sometimes in my league and thats what i have and im fine.

Unfortunately, no. The only hockey equipment place around here is The Hockey Stop. You might get lucky and find some stuff at Play-It-Again, but I wouldn't bet on finding much. Good luck though...

I got lucky once. I needed gloves and tried play it again off sawmill. This guy had just sold back his whole setup. He had a pair of brand new Bauer leather gloves with the palm stitching still there, he BARELY wore them and they were at least $80 gloves i got for $20. Of course this doesnt happen all the time but try, you might get lucky. If you know EXACTLY what you want you can buy something from hockeymonkey.com or hockeygiant.com they will probably be cheaper than hockey stop.

K thats all i have.

Oh and if anyone wants some free pads i have my old bauer helmet with cage, Bauer pants, and I think their Bauer knee/shin gaurds. This was the stuff i first bought so its all entry level type stuff that ive upgraded over the years. Should work great for a beginner but they are USED. Not selling i just wanna get rid of them so if anyone wants them PM me.

What?! ;)

Maybe someone like YOU wont notice but i noticed there were more than a few A/B players at friday dropin's downtown. I hate being the worst guy on the ice.

Never been to the wed morning at dublin though, if i do hit up a dropin its usually wed afternoon at dublin, 11:30-1 i think it is. If they still have that one, its been a while since ive been to a dropin.