CR ice hockey crew

verse

That's kind of what I wondered, if there were certain times that all the better players were out there. But with everything I'm sure there are plenty of jerks and plenty of good guys regardless of skill.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe someone like YOU wont notice but i noticed there were more than a few A/B players at friday dropin's downtown. I hate being the worst guy on the ice.

That's because I am one of those A/B guys. You missed my sense of humor wink. :lol:

No problem being the worst one on the ice, we're more than happy to make you guys better... :nod:

for the longest time i let my aversion to being bad at things keep me away from doing what i loved, but it turns out with a little confidence you can get pretty good at anything. I'm playing goalie (in soccer) now at a level I never thought possible when I was in HS mostly just due to a bit more discipline and confidence. I'm hoping the same carries over to hockey someday.

Oh it has nothing to do with my fear of being bad. It's my aversion of commitment, and the cost involved :)

I would like to play at some point though.

I went out this morning. It wasn't too bad. Met one nice guy who was helping me out, he seemed to be pretty good. He helped me work on some drills and whatnot. I can tell that the lower part of my body is going to be sore tomorrow. I think next Saturday I'm going to try to go to the Saturday Night Hockey at Easton.

The 1972 Championship OSU Hockey team, which my grandpa was one of the coaches of, is having some sort of gathering today. Anyone know anything about it?

The only thing I'm aware of, is that there is an OSU Club Alumni game tonight at the old OSU rink. I only know because a few of my friends who played for them are going... :nod:

I went out this morning. It wasn't too bad. Met one nice guy who was helping me out, he seemed to be pretty good. He helped me work on some drills and whatnot. I can tell that the lower part of my body is going to be sore tomorrow. I think next Saturday I'm going to try to go to the Saturday Night Hockey at Easton.

There's a "league" (i use the term loosely) that meets up on saturday nights called BTN, or Better Than Nothing hockey league. This would be a great starting point for you. its mostly E/lower D league types. Its real laid back, everyone is really cool and helpful too. I played witha buddy there once, and i just sat back and played defense, tried to look for the open man on the pass etc...

No problem being the worst one on the ice, we're more than happy to make you guys better...

Oh i enjoy it alot, i like playing with better players b/c it makes me up my game. My theory is always look for the pass, or to make the play. Rather than in a game where i usually look for the shot or look to put the puck on net. I just know how frustrating it can be playing with someone slower and i never wanted to be 'that guy'. Plus alot of times you show up to a dropin thats established so guys wanna play with their friends, etc... so your the 'new guy'.

If anyone's going to the cbj game tomorow my teams playing at the ice haus at 930, you'll get to see some middle-aged, moderately over weight, heavy drinkers huff and puff down the ice for 40 minutes, I'll be wearing number 7.

Went to the Saturday Night Hockey class/drop-in up at Easton last night. It was a lot of fun. I probably one of the worst skaters there, but most guys were all pretty nice and helpful. I did score a pretty awesome one timer on the goalie high glove side. The instructor was saying that I just need to improve my skating and it'll be good to go.

Sean (Flybye), Lynn, Erica and I are planning on being at Ice Haus Saturday 10pm-12am for their open skate. I know it's not a stick/puck, but there is rarely over a dozen people there. Great time to get some pretty quiet ice time in if you are looking to improve your skating.

• 2 months later...
Played in my first game last night as an E league sub and scored my first goal, but apparently I was supposed to sign in, which I had no idea, and my goal was taken away and I was ejected from the game. We still ended up winning 4-3.

Played in my first game last night as an E league sub and scored my first goal, but apparently I was supposed to sign in, which I had no idea, and my goal was taken away and I was ejected from the game. We still ended up winning 4-3.

Sorry for laughing, but that's funny as hell. Best first game ever! :lol:

Seriously, they should give you a pass for that since it was your first game... :(

Sorry for laughing, but that's funny as hell. Best first game ever! :lol:

Seriously, they should give you a pass for that since it was your first game... :(

I figured some of you would get a kick out of it. I think the ref really wanted to give a pass on it, but once the scorekeeper started asking and the other team caught on I think they had to do something. I mean really? We still ended up winning and I was on the roster, just not the sign in sheet, but it's clearly written in the rule book. It is what it is. It was a ton of fun and I hope to play a few more games with them and get in the session next time around.

• 2 months later...

I just got most of my gear back and have started playing drop in games once a week at least. I'm going to try to make it to both of the times on Friday, at least one of them if I don't get up before 6am.

I'm open to going to some stick and pucks too and helping.

I just got most of my gear back and have started playing drop in games once a week at least. I'm going to try to make it to both of the times on Friday, at least one of them if I don't get up before 6am.

I'm open to going to some stick and pucks too and helping.

If you're there tomorrow morning at 6:00 AM, I'll be the short guy in the New York Rangers jersey... :nod:

It's near impossible to get to the Friday morning skates for me since I don't leave work til' 2am.

I'll be at the late drop in on Tuesday.

I've been looking for a team to get on in C league or B league as well on Monday or Tues nights.

I'm the same way, usually don't get off work until 12-1am so making that 6am Friday drop-in is rare for me. I use to hit up wed, Dublin drop-in that started at 11:30am but haven't been there in a while. Last i checked they changed the time and it started at 1pm now.

I don't think there is anyway I could make a 6AM drop in. I just don't wake up before 6 unless I have to. I occasionally make it to afternoon drop-ins if I'm free. I'm almost always at Saturday Night Hockey or whatever is going on on Saturday's. I'd love to meet up with some guys. Post up when you're going to go and I'll try to make it.

For those who don't know, the Friday morning 6:00 AM skates are a pretty high level, usually between A and C. So if you're starting out or lower level C/ D, I suggest you attend another one, etc... :)

I don't do Saturday night because they give instruction for half of it.

Also, I don't know if any of you use Facebook, but there is a group on FB for drop in hockey.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/114647465238322/

I hope that link will take you to it.

Also, if any of you are playing on teams, B or C league I'm very interested in subbing or joining a team. I played for 15 years now and was playing Varsity for all 4 high school years. I can still score in C league too since I never joined a B league team.