Bike idea's

Reaper

So as most of you all know. I do not have a lic. yet or bike but i'm still looking . I plan on getting one by next season . I can take it down to the inlaw's in north florida for christmas and then ride south my parents house to visit for a few days . the bikes i am looking at are 1.Ninja 650R,2.Versys 3.Triumph tiger,6. Buell xb12ss Any idea's the trip is 600 miles one way 1200 round trip

Edited by Reaper

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i'm lookin at these since i will be riding it daily and also on a few longer trips like here to cleveland and north florida to south florida along with here to north carolina and tennessee since i have family in all those places but i need a bike that will be comforatable but the the long runs and i will be comfy on lite dirty too since my grandmothers house in NCis on a dirt road

+1 on the ninja. also look at SV650, FZ6, FZ6R (new so prolly out of your price range)...and i guess thats all i can think of. the xb12 is kinda a lot of bike to handle as your first. the same cannot be said of the sportster which is sad as it used to be THE performance bike. also with the triumphs you might be looking at expensive service costs for parts etc...and the harleys...well...nuff said.

oh a kawasaki z750 might be a nice bike too. and possibly an old F4i, but those are kinda hard to come by as theyre nice bikes. a DRZ400SM might also be a good bike in the same price range if you can dig supermotos.

i like the sumo's but i don't know about the long range runs on a 2 gal gas tank as for the power i'm not worried about it since just because i don't have a lic. doesn't mean i have not ridden a few bikes only one of which was a 600 rode gsxr100,cbr1000rr,kawi 04 zx10,and a cbr 600rr

All of the above are bad choices for long haul rides.

i think sam is referring to all the bikes youve listed as having ridden.

a price range youre trying to stick to would be helpful in the choice. plus, most of the bikes i mentioned are more standard like the ninja650...not so much back pain.

if you must have new, get a leftover from 08 or before

personally, since this is your first bike, i'd get a new 650cc (or less cc's) v-twin. easy to ride, easy to maintain, and easy to sell. i've seen guys do great things with a ninja 250 and sv650's.

the street triple looks cool but on a 600mile ride from north Florida to south Florida i don't know how well i would be able to walk after same with the runs from here too NC and here to Tn and on the dirty roads where my grandmother lives in NC

The FZ6,Ninja 650 & SV have been mentioned a couple of times, but they are good on distance rides. Look at a V-Strom 650, Versys 650, Bonneville, Ulysses too.

Out of the bunch, I'm leaning to the V Strom, it's the do everything bike. It doesn't do any one thing great, but it does everything well.