Trailblazer SS

3.1cutlass

The AWD cars are prone to transmission and t-case failures. Fuel pump sending units are an issue from time to time, the defrost connections on the rear glass go bad in 50% of them, the air bag sensors for load leveling are prove to fail as well. The engine is solid. They get bad fuel economy.

I owned a 2wd model, fun truck, useful to tow, but not overly practical for my usage.

Mine was a bore to drive and the 4L65E was stupid. It was decently quick, but just... Boring. And that trans SUCKS. You want to pass someone? Ok, give it just a little throttle and... BAM! Fucker drops 2 gears and ROARS. Which would be cool, if that's what you intended and you weren't passing granny on the freeway next to a OHP. Also, be prepared for wind noise. Granted, it was quieter inside than my GF's Tribute, but it still sounded like the doors were being sucked off above 80, or in a cross wind. Also, the stereo on mine went all schizo. On occasion it would play the power windows thru the stereo. Or the turn signal. Or the friggin ENGINE! I had the stereo off a lot. Dealership couldn't duplicate the issue. And at ~71k the power steering rack EXPLODED. Thank God for cool Service Managers. Oh, and I had my paycheck setup to be direct deposited into the fuel tank. I never had any drivetrain issues, and the seats were comfy (I love my butt warmers!) It just had a bunch of stupid little problems. Except the steering rack, that was pretty serious.

Enjoy yours.:dumb:

From my limited experience with them I prefer the Grand Charokee SRT-8's that I've seen to the Trailblazer SS.

I got my 06 Grand Cherokee 5.7L Limited at almost the same time Jason got his TBSS. The build quality on my Jeep is better, its had less problems, nicer interior, more comfortable, higher tow rating, slightly better fuel mileage, and off the line we were side by side. He didn't start to pull on me until about 40mph. Needless to say, he was happy to get rid of his TBSS and I'm happy to keep my GC for a couple more years.

Check the steering for excessive play. The interior will rattle, creek, and make any other weird noise that you will never find the source of. There is a problem with rock chips on the rockers and doors. The "Service Stabilitrac" message will pop up from time to time. Transmissions and T-cases have already been mentioned. Front hubs are shit (I've already had 1 replaced and the other is starting to hum). Upgrading the rear swaybar makes a world of difference. Bone stock, the engine doesn't start to wake up until 4-5K rpm.

Check the steering for excessive play. The interior will rattle, creek, and make any other weird noise that you will never find the source of. There is a problem with rock chips on the rockers and doors. The "Service Stabilitrac" message will pop up from time to time. Transmissions and T-cases have already been mentioned. Front hubs are shit (I've already had 1 replaced and the other is starting to hum). Upgrading the rear swaybar makes a world of difference. Bone stock, the engine doesn't start to wake up until 4-5K rpm.

oh yes, I forgot this. Mine did all the above minus the steering play. Also the front diffs tend to leak. IF after all this you still want one, your first mod NEEDS to ne a trans cooler followed quickly by a higher stall converter. Circle D makes a stock-ish unit that allows you to still tow.

If I was going to get one it would have to be 2wd, the 4wd stuff is crap. As soon as the front diff starts leaking and you don't catch it right away it will break, they don't hold much fluid. If you don't need 4wd don't get it. Other then that it's the typical trailblazer stuff, creaks and rattles, worn wheel bearings, and half assed gas mileage.