Lifestyle Family Fitness leaving Ohio

JaSSon

I got this in an email today. LFF has sold out to Lifetime. As a result Downtown, Gahanna, New Albany, Polaris, Northeast and New Market will be closing. Hilliard and East Columbus (Reynoldsburg) have been purchased by the founder of LFF and will be renamed. The 2 remaining clubs will become Lifetime gyms : Pickerington and Henderson.

Sounds like Lifetime will just absorb and honor existing memberships.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/nov/16/lifestyle-family-fitness-locations-close-ar-831195/

http://www.lifetimefitness.com/lifestyle/

I got this in an email today. LFF has sold out to Lifetime. As a result Downtown, Gahanna, New Albany, Polaris, Northeast and New Market will be closing. Hilliard and East Columbus (Reynoldsburg) have been purchased by the founder of LFF and will be renamed. The 2 remaining clubs will become Lifetime gyms : Pickerington and Henderson.

Sounds like Lifetime will just absorb and honor existing memberships.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/nov/16/lifestyle-family-fitness-locations-close-ar-831195/

http://www.lifetimefitness.com/lifestyle/

yupp, read this in the paper that they will take on exsisting contracts from Lifestyles at no addittional cost. sucks for me b/c ive been going to lifetime for a while and enjoy it when its dead, now the place will be nuts to butts. Good thing i do go during peak hours at least.

Glad to see the Hilliard gym isn't closing, since that's the one I use primarily. Though I wonder what changes will come with the "rebranding" of it. I guess if worse comes to worse, I can just go back to using the Henderson Road gym. After all, I've always heard great things about Life Time gyms.

How do you figure?

The one on polaris was a dump. Machines were old, worn out and never in proper working order. You could complain till you were blue in the face that grips were torn, pads torn, bearings worn out, cable tension way too loose but they would never fix anything until it was completely broken beyond the point of being operable. Polaris was also never very clean both on the workout floor and the locker room.

We left over a year ago and pay nearly twice as much to be LifeTime members and I couldn't be happier. I think the towel service and never having to remember your lock for the locker room are the two biggest things I like the most about LifeTime over LifeStyle. In general though LifeTime creates an atmosphere where you could go there and spend hours on end there enjoyably.

Great answer, Captain Tautological.

:lol: atleast he didnt say it was gay.

i go to lifetime and i love it, they just upgraded easton to a gold club so it looks more like sawmill. the employees at easton are so much cooler than the ones at sawmill, just becuase they are more personalbe. if you want some kind of hook up pm me and ill talk to my dude who is in sales over there and he does a good job of working with people and getting the price down a little. the sawmill guys make you think there are no breaks and they are used car salesmen. what i like about LT over LS is LT Ahas so much more to do. if you want to widen your work out ie, rock climbing, basketball, racquetball,volleyball,dodge ball, ect ect its there. playing sports is one of the best work outs over all. they also have pools and i dont believe ls does. you get to use both gyms for the same price, and overall LT provides a better product overall. it is more exspensive, but you get what you pay for.

The one on polaris was a dump. Machines were old, worn out and never in proper working order. You could complain till you were blue in the face that grips were torn, pads torn, bearings worn out, cable tension way too loose but they would never fix anything until it was completely broken beyond the point of being operable. Polaris was also never very clean both on the workout floor and the locker room.

We left over a year ago and pay nearly twice as much to be LifeTime members and I couldn't be happier. I think the towel service and never having to remember your lock for the locker room are the two biggest things I like the most about LifeTime over LifeStyle. In general though LifeTime creates an atmosphere where you could go there and spend hours on end there enjoyably.

Andy, wow, sounds like the Polaris gym took a nosedive with a quickness. What you've said about LifeTime sounds great, though. It may be worth the extra drive time for me to go to the one on Henderson when it opens as opposed to going to the rebranded gym in Hilliard.

never been there but urban sucks just as bad, or worse, i can guarantee it.

• people camping on equipment
  • very little room for free weights
  • 5000000000sq feet, yet only one squat rack. which someone turns into their curl rack.

Yeah, totally agree. I was disappointed with Urban Active. I did a trial membership thing at the one on Hilliard Rome Road soon after it opened. If I was into running on treadmills, then that seemed like the place to be, as they had like 4 trillion treadmills. However, free weights, not so much. Way too small of an area - it felt cramped even if there were like four people working free weights.

i go to lifetime and i love it, they just upgraded easton to a gold club so it looks more like sawmill. the employees at easton are so much cooler than the ones at sawmill, just becuase they are more personalbe. if you want some kind of hook up pm me and ill talk to my dude who is in sales over there and he does a good job of working with people and getting the price down a little. the sawmill guys make you think there are no breaks and they are used car salesmen. what i like about LT over LS is LT Ahas so much more to do. if you want to widen your work out ie, rock climbing, basketball, racquetball,volleyball,dodge ball, ect ect its there. playing sports is one of the best work outs over all. they also have pools and i dont believe ls does. you get to use both gyms for the same price, and overall LT provides a better product overall. it is more exspensive, but you get what you pay for.

Completely agree on widening a workout by including those other things.

Also, I think there is only one LifeStyle gym that has a pool, which is the one on Sawmill, but the pool is fairly small/narrow.

Andy, wow, sounds like the Polaris gym took a nosedive with a quickness. What you've said about LifeTime sounds great, though. It may be worth the extra drive time for me to go to the one on Henderson when it opens as opposed to going to the rebranded gym in Hilliard.

Yeah, totally agree. I was disappointed with Urban Active. I did a trial membership thing at the one on Hilliard Rome Road soon after it opened. If I was into running on treadmills, then that seemed like the place to be, as they had like 4 trillion treadmills. However, free weights, not so much. Way too small of an area - it felt cramped even if there were like four people working free weights.

Completely agree on widening a workout by including those other things.

Also, I think there is only one LifeStyle gym that has a pool, which is the one on Sawmill, but the pool is fairly small/narrow.

we can go tanning together ;)

To be fair, the Sawmill LS was the nicest one I've been in. They do have a pool but it's only a lapping pool with 3 lanes and that's it. Small hot tub big enough for maybe 3-4 people. If the facilities at the rest of the LS's were as well kept as Sawmill was we might have stayed.

As Phil metioned though there's just soo much to do at LT that it really is a different experience. If you're just using it as a weight room it's hard to justify the extra cost, but it's really nice to have the ability to do racket ball, wall climbing or various other activities to suppliment your workout on days were you just don't feel like hitting the weights or cardio equipment.

Edited by AudiOn19s

so if they are bought out by lifetime, does that mean that we can go to any of the lifetime gyms as well?

i would say so, unless they dont make the other gyms gold memeber gyms. idk why they wouldnt though, id be intrested in seeing if they max out these gyms like the two they already have

As Phil metioned though there's just soo much to do at LT that it really is a different experience. If you're just using it as it's hard to justify the extra cost, but it's really nice to have the ability to do racket ball, wall climbing or various other activities to suppliment your workout on days were you just don't feel like hitting the weights or cardio equipment.

I'm completely on board with all of this. In fact, the more you and Phil talk about LT the more I'm convinced I'll just start going there (unless the rebranded Hilliard gym turns out to be something really good).

On an aside, I'm thinking about looking into a Cross Fit gym. I guess there's one in Hilliard.

Be sure to read your membership agreement... I had a LFF membership that was ported from my California Fit. membership when LFF purchased them. LFF no longer honored the lifetime contract price and raised rates as they wanted. The last rate increase was a 42% increase with no notice. Per their agreement - no notice was required. I called to cancel my membership and was told the 'new' contract required 60 day written notice to cancel during which time I would be subject to the increased rate charge. After enough bitching (days) - they dropped me and cancelled my membership. LFF is a scam and per the agreement, they can raise their rates to whatever they want and require members to pay that rate for 2 months before being able to cancel. No cap on what they can raise the rate to - So if they are having financial trouble, they can charge $500/mo (or more) and auto-debit member's accounts for the payment. Sure - folks will stop future payments from ACH, but that initial payment is gone and taken legally... Nothing you can do to reverse the payment. Good luck with that! :)

I'm completely on board with all of this. In fact, the more you and Phil talk about LT the more I'm convinced I'll just start going there (unless the rebranded Hilliard gym turns out to be something really good).

On an aside, I'm thinking about looking into a Cross Fit gym. I guess there's one in Hilliard.

Do tell. The only ones I knew of are down town...too far of a daily drive after work for me.