Canon Powershot S95

88lx5oh

anyone have any experience with this camera

ill be looking for a new camera here in the future.

i have had several cameras.. and i havent found one yet that has fit my needs.

i had a nikon d40 great camera just too big to lug around everywhere

Canon SX20is again another great camera, smaller, and not a DSLR though, but big enough where sometimes i didnt feel like taking it out of the saddlebag for a photo, sometimes i pull over to get one shot and then take off.

need something my wife can carry on the back of the bike, not be huge an obstrusive.

i have an older samsung point and shoot that she usually snaps pics with, but its so damaged now from being beating around and thrown in the saddlebag and what not, it was kind of the beater camera that we didnt care if it got broke (still took decent pics though)

so anyway.. im looking for a small pocketable camera, that has some high end features.

the Canon S95 kind of struck me as that camera..

with all of its manual functions, the ability to shoot in raw, HD video, and its superior low light capabilities.

i have watched some reviews, but am interested in anyone who has had some first hand experience.

I convinced my father in law to get this camera for thier trip to Italy, he always had a crappy little Kodak insta-share that took ok pictures but was slow and bulky.

He bought the S95 and cant stop talking about it. He loves it. Lightweight, takes GREAT pictures. In Shutterbug Magazine, February of this year, they went through all the NON full size cameras that Photographers carry.

(*edit- yay i foudn the article online!)

http://www.shutterbug.com/content/serious-compacts-%E2%80%9Csecond-cameras%E2%80%9D-even-pros-can-love

List went as this.

Canon S95

Canon G12

Nikon Coolpix P7000

Olympus E-P2

Panasonic Lumix Gf2

Basicly they love dthem all, the Canon was top pick though.

Wade your way through that list and see what you come up with.

the cameras i started to narrow down to were..

canon g12

nikon S8200

canon s95

nikon p7000

the g12 and p7000 are a little bigger than i wanted.. i need somethign compact

the s8200 just doesnt stack up against the s95,

and the s95 is essentially the same camera as the g12, or so i have read... but its more compact.

so all signs point to the s95 price is good, its compact, great pictures, shoots in raw, has HD video, manual focus and other manual features. only issue i have, which isnt that big of a deal really is no optical zoom for video, but i think i can overlook that for what im getting for the price and the compactness of it.

Haven't used that one personally but based on what I know, I'd own it. I'm partial to how Canon renders colors too. Skin tones and greens especially.

Here's another good read for you. Includes some alternatives.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q311travelzoomgrouptest/