Newbie Gunman

NEORedLS1

Ok, a lot of my friends are starting to get into guns and I've seen a few of them shooting and what not. Seen this section on CR and decided to see what its all about. Guns look pretty bad ass... for recreational use of course... or to visit Phil. So, being a person who has ZERO experience with guns, what does everyone recommend starting with as a beginner? Thinking a hand gun to start off. IDEAS?

Ok, a lot of my friends are starting to get into guns and I've seen a few of them shooting and what not. Seen this section on CR and decided to see what its all about. Guns look pretty bad ass... for recreational use of course... or to visit Phil. So, being a person who has ZERO experience with guns, what does everyone recommend starting with as a beginner? Thinking a hand gun to start off. IDEAS?

get the most tacticool ar15 you can find on armslist. make sure you pay top dollar.

That's a pretty broad question, almost along the lines of "I'm new to cars, so what should I buy?"

That said, I would recommend chumming up with someone knowledgeable about firearms and who owns a number of different types. They can take you to a range and have you try some different things out. See if there's a type of shooting you think you might enjoy (target, trap, skeet).

Once you narrow that down a bit, enroll in a basic firearm safety class. Learn that end of things before buying something that you might shoot yourself with accidently.

At that point, I think it's reasonable to get together with people who own several examples of the type of piston/rifle/shotgun you think you're interested in, and pick their brains/fire their weapons to determine what purchase might be right for you.

That's my 2 cents' worth. Lots of guys on here know more than what I know, and I'm sure they'll chime in to add to/subtract from/contradict what I've said.

For me, it's all shotguns. That's because I'm old.

I understand the nature of wanting to own a firearm as a recreation or for fun. "Looking bad ass" may not be the way to begin this conversation into firearms. If you have 0, as in have never handled a firearm, I suggest a beginner class or some instruction into firearms. My first firearm was a Marlin Model 60, which I still own to this day. Great rifle to learn, grasp the fundamentals and plink with. If you're simply going to an indoor range to blast some ammo every so often, a nice .22LR pistol would be good for you. Anything from Ruger or Walther might suit your fancy.

That's a pretty broad question, almost along the lines of "I'm new to cars, so what should I buy?"

Thats pretty much the situation lol. However I'm not wanting to own one to look "bad ass" or anything. Not the kinda persona I put off anyhow. I would probably do more target shooting at the range. I have a few friends willing to take me shooting but just haven't had the time to get out and do so. As for price range, I guess I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking to spend. Nothing over the top but not a squirt gun either. Thanks for a point in the right direction everyone.

Going by your statements (plinking gun, recreational use, no time to shoot) and budget I would agree something like the P22 would be well suited. Being a .22 you may think it is little or a "squirt gun". My brother owns one and it is actually enjoyable to shoot. No one is going to be in awe and looking to your end of the range wondering what is going on however, you can run to the store, buy 500 rounds and shoot the day away for a few dollars. Go anything much bigger and the cost goes up quickly. If you later decide to go the ccw or home protection route, you still have something fun to go plinking with and can buy something that costs more for the defense aspect.

I'm kind of in the same boat, but been shooting for a while (boy scouts, recreational). But looking towards either a Mosin or Ruger 10/22. Shot a Mosin before and really enjoyed it. Buying process...walk in, ask for firearm, fill out ATF form, wait the week and pick up?

My $0.02

You can rent firearms at many of the ranges. You can try something new every time you shoot until you find what you want. Just buy enough ammo for that session and not get stuck with extra you can't use.

.22LR will be a nice cheap way to plink at a range and not have to think about the fact that every time you pull the trigger you just spent a quarter, or every clip is $2.50. My 7.62 is fun to shoot, but I can't shake the thought that each clip is more than $10, which means I don't have to shoot much to make for an expensive afternoon. Cheap isn't quite as fun, but in the long run you will shoot more. One of my favorite sig lines from a gun forum is "I thought my rifle was chambered for .338 Lapua, I've realized it's actually chambered for five dollar bills". At $5 a trigger pull I doubt I would shoot at all.

If you want to shoot year round you need something you can shoot at an indoor range. Most indoor ranges either do not allow rifles or only allow .22s. I've not had a whole lot of fun shooting a rifle at an indoor range. Pistols are all I shoot indoor.

I have a 9mm H&K and love it. My brother in law has a .22lr S&W. There have been times I have been jealous of what it costs him for an afternoon of plinking. You don't need muzzle velocity or stopping power to knock a beer can off a fence row, just some skill.

IMHO your first step should be to go shooting with an experienced friend to a good range. This way you can learn some basic saftey, shoot some guns (rent them if you have too), and just get an idea if your going to want to continue on. Then start small, find a gun you like, then purchase it. CCW class should be on your list of things whether you want to carry all the time or just leave it in the car locked up, etc. Your learn alot.

Also if you want to learn about guns and the culture, I would just start checking around websites about guns, look at sale sights, auction sites, etc. your learn alot and get an idea of what you think you might like.

http://www.armslist.com (craigslist for guns but not as many idiots)

http://www.gunbroker.com (great for collectors/amaturs alike)

http://www.aimsurplus.com (good for surplus/ammo/accessories)

http://www.sksboards.com (great forums for not only SKS's but anything firearms, has a large memberbase)

http://www.slickguns.com (alot of good deals on guns/ammo/gear/etc.)

http://www.ar15armory.com (good ar15 forum, decent community)

Might want to just check a few youtube videos for basic saftey concepts, operation, etc. Obviously stay away from the idiotic videos.

Most has been said and there's a lot of good advise in here.

I'm on board with a .22LR. I would not recommened a Walther P22 for your first one though. The functions of the gun can be complex to some gun handlers. I love the gun, but that's why I don't think someone with little experiance should start with it. It's a common suggestion for a great .22LR hand gun, so this is why I bring it up.

A Ruger 10/22 long rifel is a great platform to learn on. It'll cost you under $200. And the ammo is cheap, so you can shoot all day for $15. Work on your shooting fundementals with that. Then try other weapons as they interest you, or are around for you to shoot. Shooting is a progressive learn. Take the time to apply the fundimentals of shooting for each shot. From there it will become automatic to do the some thing for every shot. Get with an informed shooter to teach you. Someone from here may step up and offer, or one of your friends you trust to be informed. I'm not in a position where I can assist right now.

treat every fucking gun you fondle with your little dick beaters as if it's loaded. I don't care if your dumb ass knows it isn't, "the fucking thing is hot" should always be your mindset.

Remember to rack a shotgun like a man, not a limp wristed faggot like Not Brian, Jammer of Shotguns

I walk in and pick what I want and leave with it.

The Brady Bill, I believe is what was making you wait. If I recall, that's long gone.

Joe's right, i think it was the brady bill but i also was under the impression that was only for semi-automatic rifles? i dont know it was way before my time.

Either way, i bought a new gun from vances 2 years ago, the process took literally less than 5 minutes. The only stipulation that might surprise you is that they need two forms of id. However if you buy from vances, they can help you provide the second form if you fill out a range ticket. Somehow that suffices for a second form of id, i dont know i didnt ask the salesman said it was completely legal so i took his word for it.

Was under the impression there was a waiting period to purchase.

I'm still learning ;)

negatory, at least in the state of Ohio.

For you and the OP, if you haven't yet read this:

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55992

It's not in there now but I'll add that there's no wait here, and I may need to revise the part about shipping.

Also, I'm going to go against the grain and suggest a .17HMR Bolt action instead of a Ruger 10/22. My first gun was a 10/22 and it was meh. I probably would have enjoyed it more had I dumped a bunch of time and money into customizing it. I now have a Savage .17HMR bolt gun that I picked up for a steal of a deal on super double clearance at Dick's. It's way more accurate than I could ever hope to be, and just a joy to shoot for being a small bore gun. It's more powerful than a .22 but the downside is its a bit more expensive. But, being a bolt gun instead of a semi auto you are going to put more effort into being accurate instead of just going "Weeeeeeee" and doing mag dumps because you can and it costs next to nothing. It's quiet enough that I shoot it outdoors with no hearing protection and don't care, and has no recoil. Great platform to learn on, still cheap enough, and to me its more fun.