Looking for input on small SUV / Crossovers

iwashmycar

So here's the deal. My wife has a 1995 Corolla DX. It is near death and we both absolutely despise driving it. We thought it may last through her grad school, but no dice. I think we are looking at about $11-12K to play with.

So far our top picks are 1. a Nissan Murano, 2. a Nissan XTerra, 3. some form of the Escape (Tribute/Mariner) These will have at least 70K miles.

She hates CRVs. Not sure on the Toyotas, but they can be more pricey for nicer models..... I really like 4-runners personally.

I like the Muranos for use to drive back to Ohio once in a while on the freeway. I like the XTerras since they seem similar to my FJ... a little more 'truck inspired' with the body on frame, though that might hurt for the hwy driving and rougher around-town drive. She is also a rather tiny 5'4 90 lbs. so that might mean something in terms of maneuverability. (her driving terrifies me)

Like her Corolla this will be the main dog carrier... It's just one 30lb. lab so it's nothing that important.

Reason Escape is listed behind the others is she doesn't really like them as much, but they seem possibly more reliable? and practical?

Anyway. Seemed like a good place for insight or new additions to our list.

cliffs: 11-12K small suv, whaddaya like?

How much are the Liberty diesels going for nowadays?

Good question. They apparently were only produced 05 and 06.

Libertys are pretty cheap as well, though they sound like a maintenance nightmare as far as suspension issues go. :confused:

Only one within 25 miles... not bad

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=309079945&dealer_id=1392889&car_year=2005&systime=&doors=&model=LIBERTY&search_lang=en&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=used&distance=25&min_price=&rdm=1323365004906&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=Diesel&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=n&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=COLUMBIA_SC&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&isFlashPlugin=true&transmission=&default_sort=priceASC&max_mileage=&color=&address=29201&sort_type=priceASC&max_price=&make=JEEP&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=3&standard=false

I have not seen any Equinoxes around here cheap enough. I have never really cared for them aesthetically. I would test drive one if available I suppose

Edited by iwashmycar

What about the Santa Fes? I like them. The newer Saturn Vues look nice too and with a 3.5L V6 and 6sp AT, some good MPG should come out of that.

Scion xBs? Chrysler Pacificas? My sister in law had one and I loved it. Felt like a vault and it saved her ass when a truck t-boned her.

All of the suv's you listed have issues. Xterra's have water pump/ thermostat issues. Escapes are junk period. Suspension issues, transmission issues.

Sucks she doesn't like Crv's. We just traded ours in. 2007 with 90k miles. We had it for 4 years and 70k miles and not one thing broke on it. Hell I didn't even do brakes on it.

Highlanders are nice. 4 runners are nice.

My wifes parents had a Santa Fe... apparently had a lot of problems, and I was less than impressed riding in it.

I personally like to go only as far into Dodge and Chrysler as the Jeep brand.

I probably won't really consider any GM that will have that many miles.

I plan on having her test out some CRVs if available... They seem to fit our needs best anyway, but in the end she's gotta like what she gets. She has had the corolla since her sophomore year of highschool!

I value the insight on the XTerras and escapes. The southern cars down here are nice, BUT maintenance isn't high on a lot of peoples lists it seems...I want to steer clear of things with really common problems, especially if there are great alternatives such as the CRV or whatever

Thought about the Souls. I was thinking that if we wanted something that much 'car-like' I would look into one of their really cheap 36 mo. leases on one, BUT my worries are mileage and NASCAR-wife on a car that must remain perfect when we turn it back in.

I think she said Elements are 'ugly' too lol... I like them for what they are, but for longer drives I could see those being painful? (Used to work for Honda)

So far we have a good list of SUVs compiled haha. I still like the Liberty diesel idea aside from a Murano, which I know nothing of.

I think she said Elements are 'ugly' too lol... I like them for what they are, but for longer drives I could see those being painful? (Used to work for Honda)

We bought ours new in '06 and have taken it on a number of long trips and really like it. More comfortable than you may think. 80k miles later, its still going strong and (knock on wood) hasn't given us a single issue to date.

Hate to admit it but the escape (we've got a mazda tribute) has been pretty pain free. were at 170k and will have it until we move out of the state. Its the trip car. Weve taken it up to Michigan(UP) (for all out camping, fishing and boating) multiple times with 4 guys and all our gear with out incident.

Road noise is the only complaint i have, and the v6 is a little thirsty but not bad for 2003 standards(were at 23 on the freeway). Power and torque are plenty for what you or she will be using it for. Interior is nothing to write home about, but if you are looking for a cheap, reliable daily that isn't 4wd that can get the job done, this is it. There is a 4wd package avail but i think its overkill.More wear and tear and an obvious decline in mpg. As the previous owner of a v6 wrangler and a wrx, the tribute does fine in the winter.... better than most front wheel drive, i would venture to say.

Around here the best I have found is an 06 Mariner with 56K on it for about 13. It is at a dealer though, so I'm sure there is a little wiggle room.

I like the Mariners interior a good bit, and I think the exterior is a step up from the Escape. Also has the quicker V6 in it. Might have to go check it out. Still only FWD..

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=308900982&dealer_id=77068&start_year=1981&body_style=SUV&search_type=both&distance=25&end_year=2012&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=75000&address=29201&max_price=13000&seller_type=b

I have an 05 Escape and that's when they made a transmission change to make them more dependable. Mine is 4wd and simple the best on road winter vehicle I've ever drove. I have 120,000 trouble free miles and the original brakes went 90k and just did the shocks and struts at 110,000. Obviously it must have been built by Honda to be so dependable..........

I've also towed 5000 lbs with it (rated at 3500) and hauled things inside that people said would never fit. I totally agree with a previous post that the road noise is an issue but it is better with new tires and no roof rack.

I've had an 2011 Escape for a rental and liked the extra 40 hp it has. I didn't get any better mpg with it than I do mine and I found the 6 speed annoying because it seemed to always be in the wrong gear.