Being Charged for Theft for Finding a Ring - Updated w/Link

TTQ B4U

Did anyone see the story from Pickaway County where a woman lost her engagement ring at a Pilot Gas Station?

News story proceeded to say that the local Sheriff stated the security video shows that at some point after she left, another patron lean over and pick up the ring then began walking towards the store, stopped, put the ring in his pants pocket and then left.

According to the report the sheriff says the man won't be charged if he turns in the ring but otherwise could be charged with theft. WTF? :confused:

I'm not condoning or passing judgement on his actions, but how can he be charged with theft for finding something like a ring?

Link to story: http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/dec/09/woman-is-pleading-for-her-missing-engagement-ring-ar-858809/

Edited by TTQ B4U

Who's to say he didn't take it to the police station or went home and placed a "Found" notice somewhere? That's ignorant, what was the guy supposed to do, give it to the gas station clerk? There are too many crooks these days, I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it with anyone and would try to seek out the owner myself.

Really dont see how his actions could be considered theft, if he keeps it dishonest sure, but not theft. He had no way of knowing who it belonged to. I wouldn't have left it with the store clerk either. I don't know the Orc in regards to the issue but if happened as described I don't see it falling under theft

The way the OP made it sound was that a patron saw her leave it, waited for her to leave, then picked it up and left. Now, if the person simply found the ring and took it without any knowledge as to who's it is, I see no way of charging them with theft for sure.

There was a story almost like this on one of those judge TV shows the other day.

Girl dropped ring in lake.

Guy scooba dives and finds ring.

Posts on facebook that he found it and he is going to make money on it.

Girl takes him to court and the judge said there is a law in texas (Of course I dont remember which one) That he had to give it back. He said due to Karma, you should give him cash for giving your ring back.

There was a story almost like this on one of those judge TV shows the other day.

Girl dropped ring in lake.

Guy scooba dives and finds ring.

Posts on facebook that he found it and he is going to make money on it.

Girl takes him to court and the judge said there is a law in texas (Of course I dont remember which one) That he had to give it back. He said due to Karma, you should give him cash for giving your ring back.

Note to self: See ring on ground, pretend to drop a bunch of coins on concrete, pick everything up and don't say shit to anyone.

Note to self: See ring on ground, pretend to drop a bunch of coins on concrete, pick everything up and don't say shit to anyone.

Thats one way.. But if you pawn it, or try to sell it.... They will check to see if it has the serial code engraved in it. If it does it will come up as lost or stolen.

If It doesnt have anything on it. Your good.

I'd feel like a piece of shit if I found something that potentially important to someone and didn't do everything I could to find the owner.

I'm with you. A ring is a bit too personal. Besides, it's worth more to the owner than it ever would be to me in terms of $ I could sell it for. Now if I found a bag of money from a Brinks truck or something....

I dont think it should constitute being charged with anything but I can imagine how this lady feels if someone just picked it up and walked away with it without trying to make a reasonable effort to report it was found. I lost a watch once downtown (long story) but no one ever tried to contact me or post anything about it. I called everywhere and it really bummed me out since it was engraved and a college grad gift.

I'd feel like a piece of shit if I found something that potentially important to someone and didn't do everything I could to find the owner.

+1.

Kind of like finding a pair of panties on the side of the road and then bringing them home to your wife to try on for you.