Toyota FT-86

crummer

welcome to two months ago. Besides me being a smart ass, Toyota can go fuck themselves. They are releasing a different version of the Hyundai Genesis with a lower center of gravity. All they would have to do is release a turbo 1fz with a manual option in a redesigned Supra and it would be game over. Hell even a turboed 2/3rz engine in a redesigned ae86 would be moving forward.

In order for this car to really "save" driving it will have to have some power.

Otherwise this will fall into the same bucket as the RX8. There is simply no room for "cars that handle really well but get passed on the highway by a minivan with 5 kids in it.

The RX-8 was arguably one of the best handling cars in recent years from the factory, but had the power of a slug, of course it had a shitt non-mod liking power plant as well>

This thing COULD WORK if they offer a turbo version, or it's really really easy to strap on another 150-200hp. The weight is right, the right wheels are being driven, it's a manual.

You just need that last little thing to push people over.

sounded like a solid platform especially with keeping the weight down. power to weight ratio looks to be similar if not slightly better than the miata, gti, mini cooper. although the 1000 lb lighter elise would run circles around it.....

sorry if a repost, I did a quick search for toyota 86 and came up blank.

kinda looks like a genisis from the rear and vaguely like a jaguar xke from the front (kinda like when ford still owned jaguar). I had no idea that toyota and subaru were working together though (or toyota was sourcing a motor from subaru anyhow) should be interesting though if subie parts would work with this motor, maybe toyota would do a trd edition then hopefully with a power range near that of an sti.

I think the proportions are thrown off in pictures. It's A FOOT shorter than an Genesis Coupe and something like 16 inches shorter than a Porche Cayman. Hopefully it doesn't look like a clown car in person, but I like the concept. I'm picturing something the size of an Elise.

This. ^

Read that article this morning. This is what I've been trying to tell people. I have a car with power, anyway. This car is for driving like I used to enjoy.

Also:

You cannot even begin to compare it to a damn Genesis. :rolleyes: Say it again, so I know what an uneducated retard sounds like.

Why pay more? I'll take Factory Five's midengine mounted TURBO Boxer, the "818", I already have the title for my 05 WRX Wagon as the donor. Just a Turbo, injectors, and E85 tune away from 350+ RWHP. Oh and it's suposed to weigh in at 1800 LBS and cost me $10,000.

FT-86/BRZ :lolguy:

Be Toyota/Subaru and continue to do it wrong.

http://www.factoryfive.com/whatsnew/update/nextcar/818intro.html

Why pay more? I'll take Factory Five's midengine mounted TURBO Boxer, the "818", I already have the title for my 05 WRX Wagon as the donor. Just a Turbo, injectors, and E85 tune away from 350+ RWHP. Oh and it's suposed to weigh in at 1800 LBS and cost me $10,000.

FT-86/BRZ :lolguy:

Be Toyota/Subaru and continue to do it wrong.

http://www.factoryfive.com/whatsnew/update/nextcar/818intro.html

9k for a tube an a box of parts you still have to build and paint it. Thats before you add in your donor drivetrain.

In order for this car to really "save" driving it will have to have some power.

Otherwise this will fall into the same bucket as the RX8. There is simply no room for "cars that handle really well but get passed on the highway by a minivan with 5 kids in it.

The RX-8 was arguably one of the best handling cars in recent years from the factory, but had the power of a slug, of course it had a shitt non-mod liking power plant as well.

No, the RX-8 was an overpriced 3000 lb touring car. Nobody wanted to pay 30+ grand to get passed by a minivan.

The FR-S will compete head to head with the Miata. It's within a hair's width of the Miata in all dimensions, unlike the Genesis/370Z which are both much larger, despite not having any more seats. It's more powerful than a Miata, weighs roughly the same, and crucially, isn't any more expensive.

And the Miata is doing just fine. It's hands down the most popular amateur road racing car, by the numbers, on the planet.

That's not to say that the FR-S won't be a flop, but if it is, it won't be because of its specs, or lack thereof.