Tips for finding coolant leaks?

Browning

1998 neon SOHC

Noticed a couple of weeks back that it's leaking coolant. I've did a quick checking a few times and have yet to see any leaking coolant anywhere but I have had to top it off a few times since. I read online that most commonly on these it's the radiator hoses, water pump of the metal lines for the heater core.

Last year we suspected the heater core was leaking but just dumped some stop leak stuff in and never had a problem. I never see any puddles on the ground but the g/f said she has once when leaving work one night.

My questions are.

1. If it were a water pump, wouldn't it be a fairly large leak and easy to spot?

2. If the heater core, wouldn't the floor be soaked?

3. If it were something like a head gasket there'd be coolant in the oil or it would smoke a lot, right? It does neither.

Shit could have one this while it was warm instead of when winter hit lol. This thing has to last until tax time. Then it's to the crusher lol

Edited by Browning
coolant not collant, lol

would you guys trust something like this? I won't be able to search more for the leak until tomorrow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-0-Dodge-Plymouth-Chrysler-SOHC-Timing-Belt-Water-Pump-/220782831620?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1998%7CMake%3ADodge%7CModel%3ANeon&vxp=mtr&hash=item3367aea804

I already have a heater core here so if it's that I won't have to buy anything

Well, where is it wet at? You have stated to us that you have had to add coolant, and that you noticed it on the driveway, but where is the bottom wet?

IF it was a headgasket TYPICALLY it does not leak outside the motor, not saying it can't, but a majority of the ones I find are leaking b/w cylinders.

Is there coolant under/around the crank pulley? Good start towards the water pump leaking, but you need to VERIFY not by hanging parts.

I mean you could go on and on, but where do you physically see coolant under the car......ON the car, not the driveway.

Well, where is it wet at? You have stated to us that you have had to add coolant, and that you noticed it on the driveway, but where is the bottom wet?

IF it was a headgasket TYPICALLY it does not leak outside the motor, not saying it can't, but a majority of the ones I find are leaking b/w cylinders.

Is there coolant under/around the crank pulley? Good start towards the water pump leaking.

I mean you could go on and on, but where do you physically see coolant under the car......ON the car, not the driveway.

I have not found any wet spots. I won't be able to check until she gets home, but it'll be dark so my odds of finding it tonight are slim.

Right on, so a pressure tester will be your friend then.
any harm in using these?

it could be leaking onto the engine somewhere and burning off before it can hit the ground, do you ever smell burning coolant even when its not coming through the exhaust?

Oh yea after long trips when walking in front of the vehicle. I don't think it's a big leak whatever it is..

any harm in using these?

Absolutely not, just make sure not to pressurize it way past what the system is rated for. For example if you have a 15psi cap on your system I would pump it up to 15psi give or take a pound. You don't need to go crazy with it.

Absolutely not, just make sure not to pressurize it way past what the system is rated for. For example if you have a 15psi cap on your system I would pump it up to 15psi give or take a pound. You don't need to go crazy with it.

This. Unless you want to find the next weakest link. :lolguy:

I'm in the same boat myself. The wife's CRV is leaking coolant on the top of the radiator where the plastic meets the aluminum fins. Got to love the mist and smell of hot antifreeze coming from under the hood. :(

at least you know where the leak is lol