Welding question

rb26deet32

Anyone know if it's possible to weld a metal rod to another rod end to end when they are 2" in diameter? Solid steel. Just wondering if it's even possible before I waste any more time on it.

I'm thinking if I chamfer all the way around and then fill it all in it should work. But I just don't know if it will penetrate all the way to the center...

I know very little about welding however I would think you would want to grind the ends like a chisel shape, put ends together with tiny gap in between and weld them together, flip and grind, then another pass, flip and grind and repeat until its all done. It will take a long time I would guess and are you using a tig welder?

I know very little about welding however I would think you would want to grind the ends like a chisel shape, put ends together with tiny gap in between and weld them together, flip and grind, then another pass, flip and grind and repeat until its all done. It will take a long time I would guess and are you using a tig welder?

I decided to just start doing it. I'm grinding both ends that are going to be welded together into what looks like a punch. 45* chamfer going in but I'm going to leave about 3/4-1" flat so it will stay straight. Once I finish grinding on the other one I'll see if it's still lined up. Then I'll do some high temp tacs followed by some slow passes all the way around. And then I'll just fill it all back in.

Also, I was using a miller 180 mig but now I'm using a miller 652 mig.

Thanks. That's what I ended up doing. I did try what I was saying (cone/pencil way). I tried it on some scrap metal that was smaller diameter than what I'm welding and it was getting maybe 80% penetration. So I basically had a pencil that went to almost a flat head. Was easy as hell to weld since it was flat instead of round. But I think that was the longest constant welding I've ever done lol. It looks pretty good though. Just gotta grind it a bit and sand it and hopefully it wont break again.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...