Wheel bolt holes elongated

harmonda

I installed my snow wheels/tires. I think the hubcentric ring was missing on driver's front and I didn't notice. Unfortunately wifey drove it to work and almost lost the wheel. She was down to one bolt by the time she could pull over. 2 of the holes are elongated slightly. The other three are fine. The hub is fine and the threaded holes in the disk are fine. I'd expect there would be debris from the ring if it was there and there wasn't.

Plan A = order a new wheel....nope...out of stock everywhere.

plan B = I took it over to wheel medic but they said they don't fix elongated holes??

Plan C = I ordered new hubcentric rings and bolts. I found inserts online...anyone use them before? I plan to order them and the special drill bit you use to create the proper seat.

Question...does anyone know a place locally that does the inserts or the weld and machine method?

2010 GLK350 4matic. Hubcentric. 14mmx1.5 bolts. cone seat. takes a 73/66.56 ring. They came from TireRack with plastic gorilla ones and I just ordered a set of milled aluminum rings to be safe. I'd just replace the wheel if I could find one. They are pretty cheap. They guy at TireRack said they blew them out at $59 in may. Pics of damage...not too bad...seen worse...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7017/6549127821_1a7a49b61e.jpg

2011-12-21_09-51-39_967 by harmonda, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7164/6549131577_f6de2b2923.jpg

2011-12-21_09-51-23_656 by harmonda, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7011/6549136075_d8094ec88c.jpg

2011-12-21_09-51-04_179 by harmonda, on Flickr

• 4 weeks later...
Just to follow-up...I installed the aluminum hub-centric rings. they were a nice snug fit. I've put about 2k miles on them since. No issues. I keep checking the bolts and no loosening or additional wear at all. We ran up to the U.P. and got 18" of snoww overnight and had to be at the Kennel before the plows went out and had zero problem. I'll keep monitoring them but I think I'm solid.

FWIW, both my Maxima and Corvette over the last 10 years had aftermarket wheels, and aluminum hubcentric rings were NECESSARY.

I understand that, but hub centric rings are not to be used as a band aid to make use of a damaged wheel. He should have replaced the rim THEN made use of hub centric rings.

Using a hub centric ring to run a damaged wheel on your vehicle is flat out stupid. I stand by my statement.

Well, that is amazingly helpful. I'm so glad we have such an experienced and mature member like you on here to wisely hand out sage advice like 'OP is an idiot'. What would we do without you?

Well, that is amazingly helpful. I'm so glad we have such an experienced and mature member like you on here to wisely hand out sage advice like 'OP is an idiot'. What would we do without you?

+1 Find a replacement even if you have to order it in from somewhere.

I still stand by my statement, You're an idiot.