Gatlinburg, TN

NWill

Who has been? I'm going with the GF in February and wanted to know what some fun things to do down there are. Places to eat? Places to go? I've heard the Peddler and Park Grill are both good. We're staying at Rocky Waters Inn if that makes any difference. Thanks

There is soo much to do there. We ate at "the best Italian restraunt" it was good. Lots of pancake places

I loved the go cart tracks in pigeon forge. They go up 3 leves and drop down a steep hill.

Ober gatlinburg and downtown are awesome.

We rented a cabin last January. And I was actually searching tonight for a cabin rental in feb.

I grew up about an hour from there. We went every year. Best part is in the Fall when the big rod run goes on. So many cars its like a little verison of Woodward in MI. Pancake places everywhere. Go cart tracks are a must and theres plenty. Not sure how Dollywood is now a days was fun too

Go to the goddamn national park right there. It's very badass. It pains me how many people drive to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge (The Smokey Mountains) and then do all the tourist trap bullshit you can do at Myrtle Beach.

National Park, Mountains, Cliffs, Bears, Elk, Hiking, Waterfalls, Creeks, Old settlements, Amazing Driving Roads

OR

Shitty go-karts, the Apple Barn, An Amusement park named for Dolly Parton

Go to the goddamn national park right there. It's very badass. It pains me how many people drive to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge (The Smokey Mountains) and then do all the tourist trap bullshit you can do at Myrtle Beach.

National Park, Mountains, Cliffs, Bears, Elk, Hiking, Waterfalls, Creeks, Old settlements, Amazing Driving Roads

OR

But that means that you would have to hike too ;)

OR

+1

Have gone several times over the years:

1) Arts & Crafts community - just a little NE out of Gatlinburg - lots of talented local artists - good day of browsing the shops

2) Roaring Fork Nature Trail - one way drive just east of downtown Gatlinburg - several stops, great views, old cabins

3) Cades Cove - southeast end of park - olde settlement around a large valley

4) Klingmans Dome - Highest(?) point in the park - amazing views from the tower in all directions on a clear day.

5) Cataloochee - interesting drive to get there - lots on one-two lane (some just gravel) but a lot less crowded than some other parts of the park

6) Too many great hiking trails to waterfalls to even pick one or two

Gatlinburgh itself is cool for a day or so to walk & see the shops. The tram to OberGatlinburgh has some great views as well.

We plan on seeing as much of the mountains as we can but heard the roads up are closed this time of year? This may only be the case with bad weather but I have no clue.

Info here:

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/seasonalroads.htm

Clingman's Dome closed Nov. 30th - others seem to be weather dependent...

I normally got the GSM area a few times a year. I have been there pretty much everytime of the year.

As for the park roads, they even close the main roads through the park if there is any chance of snow or ice. Too risky. Also remember that the main road through the park (441) will rise about 5,000+ feet. They have a habbit of closing it a lot in the winter months due to wind, snow, and ice. The alternate route sucks, (2.5 hr drive vs. 45 minutes from Gattlinburg to Cherokee) so don't get stuck.

As for places to see, most have been listed above. But above all, GO SEE THE PARK. Just beautiful sites and a fun drive. Also, the aqurium is great if you have kids. Tuckaleechee Caverns are also a great visit.

Places to eat, well that could take a while. LOL Skip the Peddler or Park Grill. Over priced, crappy service, and the food really isn't that good. You want a steak, go to The Alamo. Also must stops for good food: The Old Mill, Smoky Mountain Brewery (great wings and beer), The Apple Barn, Pancake Pantry (get there early or through the week).

Also I woud suggest skipping Dollywood unless you have kids around the age of 8-15. It is not compareable to Kings Island or Ceder Point. More family friendly. If you want a good dinner show, I always suggest the Dixie Stamped. Yeah corny, but fun if you have never been before.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

My family and i went last summer. My mom rented a cabin for all of us. It was really nice but for anyone wanting to go and rent a cabin i'll warn you there's usually a waiting list depending on where your looking.

We had alot of fun, its a great place if you have kids b/c there's a ton of 'touristy' stuff to do. It wouldnt be the first place i would vacation if i was going on an adult vacation. Ton of places to eat, rediculous amount of pancake restaurants, we went tubing down a river (it was more like a big stream) that was fun and cheap. But be warned, some places are dry and dont sell alcohol. I cant remember if its pigeon forge or gatlinburg or seiverville (they're all really close to each other) but if you and your girl want to go out for a few drinks it might not be possible.

1. Rent a cabin (http://www.majesticmountainvacations.com/)

2. Go to the park. Waterfalls, Cades Cove, etc.

3. Eat at The Old Mill once.

4. Eat/Drink at a Smoky Mountain Brewery (the Pigeon Forge location is the nicest) and Calhoun's repeatedly.

5. Walk around Gatlinburg. Lots to do/see like the moonshine distillery.

6. ????

7. Profit

Also, Pigeon Forge is no longer dry. I believe it was at one time, as mentioned above. The Kroger on Wears Valley road is a good place to get provisions if you're staying in a cabin. It's close to most of the cabin rental offices and the prices are normal. They sell beer now too.

EDIT: Dollywood is the gayest place you can visit while in PF.

there is alot of everything there like has been said, personally i always like to go to Cades Cove , as well as the dixie stampede and the comedy barn. not sure what kinda food your into but theres an all you can eat catfish and chicken joint on the main drag thats i think is really good