Ohio Mile Event Open But...

wagner

Posted on wilmongtonmile.com by "Camisade":

Had an email exchange with the ECTA President today. Guess I'm back to deciding if I want to bite the bullet for Texas. :-/

Here's what he said:

"It is all about your safety and NOT about making money. I build race cars for a living and have done crash investigation for NHRA, IHRA, SCTA and ECTA. I am a factory trained Hans Devise retailer. This training and experience has allowed me to see first hand the damage to vehicle and person that a crash causes. I have personally crashed at 195 mph, going airborne 85 feet and landed of the drivers side when my chute failed to deploy properly. I walked away because I dressed for the crash properly.

We have gotten info from the factories on Vipers and Vettes and with a racing seat, arm restraints and 5 way racing belt system, allow them to run up to 150 mph.

The limit without a rollbar/cage is 135 mph. A 4 point rollbar is 150 and 175 if it is a 6 point rollbar."

So, basically, even if your car comes from the factory able to do 190mph+, unless you want to modify the crap out of it, rending it MUCH less usable for street (and reducing it's resale value), you'd be driving in a "speed" event where you could accelerate for about (or less than!) a half mile, and then just had to coast the rest of the mile. About the only car I could run the full mile here without requiring serious modifications is my wife's SUV. And I might even have to let off with it near the end.... :-/

ECTA is a different bunch of guys. You'd be better off trucking down to Texas guys. They talked like they would make an exception for street cars but still haven't budged... :(

http://www.bangshift.com/blog/Want-to-Know-What-Safety-Equipment-You-ll-Need-to-Go-Land-Speed-Racing-in-Your-Car-Click-Here.html

Cool, good information. I do intend to run my car at one of these events. I don't have enough crazy in me to try a top speed run on the highway. Time to start pricing safety gear.

I understand the safety but it also keeps a LOT of people away that just want to see what there street car will do.

As fast as factory cars are these days that would be like the NHRA requiring a roll cage for anything that runs faster than 15's... :dumb: