School me on Mark IV Toyota Supra's

I Eat Rice

I'd join a supra forum and do a lot of research before I spent $25k on a 16+ year old car notorious for being modded, abused, etc

Why not buy a c6 vette and add a procharger at low boost? An endless supply of aftermarket support, and likely cheaper to mod than a supra. Once you get into the 800rwhp range, you drastically reduce reliability, the 'just fun to cruise' factor, and the weight of your wallet.

So does anyone know common things to look for as to problems or are these cars like what I know ie no major oil leaks from the key spots and drive problems means the car should be ok?

Front main seal... not sure about the rear, can't remember if that's an issue.

I think the valve stem seals are also a known issue.

I wouldn't consider either of those major issues.

Edited by Trouble Maker

I'd join a supra forum and do a lot of research before I spent $25k on a 16+ year old car notorious for being modded, abused, etc

Why not buy a c6 vette and add a procharger at low boost? An endless supply of aftermarket support, and likely cheaper to mod than a supra. Once you get into the 800rwhp range, you drastically reduce reliability, the 'just fun to cruise' factor, and the weight of your wallet.

What this man said. You are brave for buying a modded supra. I know the motors in those are rediculously strong, but your still taking that risk. I'm sure those motors aren't cheap to replace.

They wiegh between 3400-3600 depending on the trim. Hardtops wieghing much less. I've seen people getting them as low as 3200 without sacrificing much.

Jesse is correct on the valvestem seals/front main seals. Leaking targa top seals are somewhat common, as is rear hatch rust.

Also with any car of that age you should do all your normal mechanical inspections.

Does a supra have a backseat?

if you want to compare apples to apples you should really be looking at the 3000gtvr4/stealth/fd rx7/300zx/c4 vette.

I disagree. Since this is a used car decision he should compare cars in his price point. True the cars you listed were your competing group when the MKIV was released, but this isn't 1993 and he isn't buying new.

And yes they are 2+2 cars, though fitting 4 adults in that car would not be comfortable.

if you want to compare apples to apples you should really be looking at the 3000gtvr4/stealth/fd rx7/300zx/c4 vette.

the vr4 and the stealth in my opinion would be out in this group if they are MT cars, they just weren't built strong and I've heard of people having to replace them as soon as 40000 miles. I looked at buying an na stealth a while back as a dd, decided against it cause it was stuck in second gear. as far as a supra in my opinion, as long as you can get one that's low milage and stock, you stand a better chance of getting one that's gonna be reliable for years to come, suppose that goes true for just about any car though

Compression like Scott said, check the PS lines for leaks, and profile the person you're buying from.
Ok that is what I have read so far so I guess I am on the right track. I know that I will also be picky on who I buy the car from for sure as well. I will keep the same things in mind that I would have if I was buying a c5 vette which is my other choice right now.

Like I said above I will look into this alot before I make my choice. If I go vette it will be c5 ms4 with big heads and a 2 stage 150 shot.... Then save for ls7 swap...

Ha ha ha I saw an old cover of a car and driver from one of their old fast lap events and all these cars were on the cover. Very few cars from the 90's era are my taste. The rx7 has been a thought for years but for some reason I have never loved those cars. They are good looking and handle great but I just do not want one. 3000gt/ or model of is not what I want. Heavy cars and awd add up to a boat that needs 500hp just to feel quick. And if I go vette it has to be c5 because I love the ls1.

I disagree. Since this is a used car decision he should compare cars in his price point. True the cars you listed were your competing group when the MKIV was released, but this isn't 1993 and he isn't buying new.

And yes they are 2+2 cars, though fitting 4 adults in that car would not be comfortable.

+1 to you sir. I would take the back seats out honestly. They are as worthless as the back seats in my old ws6.

How about an LS swapped 3 series BMW? They can be drop dead sexy and can turn as well as go fast in a straight line.

Humm I think I need to look into this a little bit more. We are in need of a swapped bmw around here again.

What this man said. You are brave for buying a modded supra. I know the motors in those are rediculously strong, but your still taking that risk. I'm sure those motors aren't cheap to replace.

My first triple ha ha. Just found this looking around.http://www.titanmotorsports.com/32litimopst.html That is right around a Texas speed ls built block. This is their "poor boy" block rated to 1000hp and 9000+rpm if need be.