Z06 or Grand Sport

ForeverMaker

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info. Yea everyone is raving about the PS2's. I think I may go with the Nittos first and see how I like them (they are a bit cheaper), then next year go with the PS2's.

Fixed, and rematch the next weekend we have good weather. :gabe:

I went with the Nitto NT05s and so far really enjoy them. If I can get decent wear out of these then I will get them again. I have almost 10K on them IIRC and they still look good. The PS2s have more tread depth but I would fear they would get hard (like the 12K mile F1 supercars I had on there when I bought it) before I used up the available rubber so I would rather buy fresher shorter lasting tires for the same money or a little cheaper depending on how these last...

Edited by hpfiend

Not sure if you follow 1Lap, but there is a reason the fastest vettes were running PS2's ;)

If you happen to have SPEED channel, this weekend be sure to watch the Optima Ultimate Street Car Invitational. The winning car (a cincy car no less) is a C6ZO6, and he is running none-other than PS2s... they did quite a bit of tire testing before the event and the PS2s were by far the fastest tire... the one that was behind it quite surprisingly was the BFG KDW TA

I've had the BFG KDWs on our RSX-S and my old 5.0 coupe very nice tires just noisy as hell....

I have no doubt the michelin ps2 is the superior "all season" tire for a lot of hard miles. I chose the NT05s because they are stickier in dry traction and were cheaper- I drive like a grandma now in the rain anyhow as I totaled my firebird due to a hydroplane... the PS2s have much better wet weather performance and last longer due to the thicker tread depth. I drive my vette more than most but it sits all winter and if I need to haul anything including kids I take the wife's car or the explorer. For me to put 20K miles on it may take up to 4 years and the tires will be hard after 2. The Nittos are only supposed to last 12K miles or so which is about right for me in 2 years or about 1.5) The invos aren't a comparable tire to the NT05.. the closest would be the Nitto drag radials with stiff sidewalls. If you have seen the tread pattern they are practically cheater slicks....

The PS2 is not what I would call an all season tire, furthermore, dont be fooled by the treadwear rating. The zo6 sizes they offer are actually a 'special' compound for the PS2, because they use those tires for dot tire spec class racing. Unless you are talking about R compound (or other competition spec) tires (which NT05s are not), even in the dry, you will be very very hard pressed to outperform the PS2s

Here is hte 'new' new PS2 (the super sport) even TireRack loves them...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=148

Check this out for more reference:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/autocrossing-and-roadracing/2843828-i-tested-michelin-pilot-super-sports-california-speedway.html

In addition, the OP was talking about road noise. I could almost guarantee the PS2 would be significantly quieter than the NT05 due to the tread pattern.