contacting a company whos product damaged something of yours.

evan9381

whats gonna be my best route to go with this so that it will go in my favor?

some may have seen the thread asking about how to clean up the body of my grill from stuff thats gotten on it in the last 2 seasons.

about a week ago my sister in law spoke of this "barkeeps friend" or something and how great it worked...while getting groceries last night, i see this stuff, and right on the front it says "cleans and polishes stainless steel!" so i think, its only a few bucks, lets try it.

get home last night, and JUST to be sure, look up the grill that i bought to make sure the body is infact SS, and it is. follow the directions on this cleaner to wet the surface, sprinkle some, clean surface, then wipe away with wet sponge and dry.

as im doing this, something doesnt seem right...my sponge is turning gray...so im thinking maybe its normal and itll be fine once i wipe it down with a wet sponge and dry it.

after everything, its like it stripped the finish off this grill. luckily i only did it on the side platform/panel thing, but i now have a grill thats a nice polished, stainless steel, and a shitty gray looking side panel.

so how should i approach this? i just want my grill looking decent again, and this did the complete opposite

pic for reference. to the left of the line is the face where theres a knob, the right of the line is the flat "platform" area...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/IMAG2419.jpg?t=1326758109

I'd put money on the bottle saying "test a small area first"

In that case, you are fucked

Exactly.

The finish can be restored but expect to spend $75 an hour for an experienced hand to do so. Or spend more money than a new grill would cost to buy the proper tools to try it yourself. And then spend exactly the amount of money a new grill would cost to replace the one you just ruined trying to do it yourself.

http://barkeepersfriend.com/

I always have this stuff handy. I use it to clean the windshields of my cars down in prep for rain x. It's the only thing I know of that gets any of the lines from wipers and acid rain stains out.

Would work well on the grill if it's stainless. Sounds to me like you were polishing some type of aluminum coated metal or something.

I always have this stuff handy. I use it to clean the windshields of my cars down in prep for rain x. It's the only thing I know of that gets any of the lines from wipers and acid rain stains out.

Would work well on the grill if it's stainless. Sounds to me like you were polishing some type of aluminum coated metal or something.

Not sure if serious...the OP states that is this is the product that damaged my grill

The product appears to be doing its job to me.

Your appliance may actually be stainless, however, it appears to have a BRUSHED finish. What you're using is basically going to "polish" the surface you're using it on because it has an abrasive base. In for better pics.

I'd give you suggestions on how to fix it, but you're already trying to point fingers at someone, and I don't want anything to do with this.

Not sure if serious...the OP states that is this is the product that damaged my grill

Yes, I am serious. We have a Weber Genesis Grill that I leave exposed to the elements all year and it holds up fine. However, over the season crap gets on the real stainless steel doors and front panel and I use Barkeepers on it with excellent results. You can even see in this photo that it has some goobers on the door. I'll just hit those with a little cleaner when it warms above freezing. No issues.

I use a wet rag and some BK Friend but the difference is mine does not turn black aka the finish isn't coming off. I do think it boils down to the finish of your grill may just be a thin polished finished. It will also depend on the grade of the stainless and said finish.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/119768354/original.jpg

Yes, I am serious. We have a Weber Genesis Grill that I leave exposed to the elements all year and it holds up fine. However, over the season crap gets on the real stainless steel doors and front panel and I use Barkeepers on it with excellent results. You can even see in this photo that it has some goobers on the door. I'll just hit those with a little cleaner when it warms above freezing. No issues.

I use a wet rag and some BK Friend but the difference is mine does not turn black aka the finish isn't coming off. I do think it boils down to the finish of your grill may just be a thin polished finished. It will also depend on the grade of the stainless and said finish.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/119768354/original.jpg

im just saying, the barkeepers friend stuff is what took the finish off my grill to begin with...trying to figure how it will have an opposite effect if i use it a second time around

The product appears to be doing its job to me.

Your appliance may actually be stainless, however, it appears to have a BRUSHED finish. What you're using is basically going to "polish" the surface you're using it on because it has an abrasive base. In for better pics.

I'd give you suggestions on how to fix it, but you're already trying to point fingers at someone, and I don't want anything to do with this.

Id be more than happy to fix it myself if its something cheap and easy, im just a bit irked that this basically took the finish right off

Id be more than happy to fix it myself if its something cheap and easy, im just a bit irked that this basically took the finish right off

be irked that whoever made the grill used a finish that would be easily stripped by a common, well recommended grill polish/cleaner

might as well get going on the entire grill for the uniform look.

not trying to troll, just trying to guide expectations.

We use bar keepers friend on our sinks all the time. Our grill is stainless, however only certain parts are actual stainless...other parts are stainless coated to look real. Not saying that is what you have, just saying my experience.

Tom

are you serious about your windshilds???

i would have thought that it would be like taking sand paper to it.