anything to look for on high mileage silverado 1500?

Nothing that wasn't fairly common when they were younger, depending on how it was used the transmission would be my biggest worry. Those had stupid ABS issues with the front hubs, noisey intermediate shafts, and with higher mileage we've seen the rockers come apart, cams worn out, lifters fall apart, just about any valvetrain component has had issues, but I really think that depends more on how it was maintained.

I've got a 94 2wd with almost 300k on the clock, maybe cordell could verify this for me, but the only real problem I have is at lower speeds when your barely on the throttle it makes a whineing noise, hit the gas harder or just let off and it goes away, I'm thinkin rear gears but it could be something to look for on a test drive. otherwise mine runs great and is very easy to drive.

I've got a 94 2wd with almost 300k on the clock, maybe cordell could verify this for me, but the only real problem I have is at lower speeds when your barely on the throttle it makes a whineing noise, hit the gas harder or just let off and it goes away, I'm thinkin rear gears but it could be something to look for on a test drive. otherwise mine runs great and is very easy to drive.

yeah that sounds like worn pinion bearings.

I guess I should've asked how old we're talking here, because I see plenty of high mileage 99 and newer trucks which is what I first thought of. The older trucks 98 and down are simpler trucks with just typical mechanical stuff to look out for.

rotted brake/ fuel lines.

I forgot about this too, the rear disk brakes on the 99+ had issues with the backing plates rotting off, not really a big deal but it does happen, and the parking brake on the same trucks usually fall apart.

I forgot about this too, the rear disk brakes on the 99+ had issues with the backing plates rotting off, not really a big deal but it does happen, and the parking brake on the same trucks usually fall apart.

On a side note, my F100 has really rusty backing plates on the front discs. No reason I can't just take them off, correct?

Not just the trucks. Took me two junkyard clusters and some soldering to have one that worked in my girlfriends cavalier before she totalled it

Sunfires and Cavaliers are a different story altogether, most clusters we exchange, those have to be sent out and repaired. Those cars suck for so many things it isn't funny. The newer cars aren't nearly as bad for that stuff.

Sunfires and Cavaliers are a different story altogether, most clusters we exchange, those have to be sent out and repaired. Those cars suck for so many things it isn't funny. The newer cars aren't nearly as bad for that stuff.

You would think the nhtsa or whatever it is would force a recall for broken speedometers, temp gauges, fuel gauges and odometers that don't light up