Something to think about...

Otis Nice

Hopefully not a repost. The text came from a FB update of my Krav instructor today.

This has been making its rounds among of the Krav sites lately, & here a couple of thoughts:

1) We all acknowledge ABCs agenda behind this story: the average citizen isn't capable of defending themselves with a firearm. They don't have the skills or the training, and most states don't require it. (why can't leftist ever be honest about who they are and what their agenda is?!)

2) Its true that man...y concealed carry permit holders, and "gun people" in general, rely far too much on the mere presence of a firearm to assure their own safety. We teach that the firearm is a tool, but you have to be the weapon. Whatever tool you choose to use/carry -- along with that decision comes the responsibility to become proficient with it. We are always glad when people realize that their safety is their responsibility and their's alone, and then take steps to increase their own safety. The decision to own a firearm is a 1st step, however, rather than a last.

3) One thing that this video highlights is how fine motor skills and cognitive ability degenerate significantly under stress. Why do you think it can be hard to keep track of reps/rounds in a wod, or even jump rope in the later rounds of a wod? The stress is exhaustion, and it affects both thinking and performance a lot. This is a huge reason why we train the way we do. We use gross motor skills that are based on the body's natural reaction to fear and stress, and we work to innoculate you to stress in training.

4) Training, training, training. You must train both yourself as the weapon, and with your tool(s) of choice. If you wait until a critical incident to come up with a plan, or to become proficient at defending yourself & loved ones, you're too late. Wherever you choose to train, once the basics are mastered, make sure it is realistic and highly dynamic (putting hundreds of rounds downrange from a static position does little more than to get you a little better acquainted with trigger control and recoil.

5) Finally, ask yourself how often you are wearing your tool, or your duty belt, or whatever. Now ask yourself how many hours a day you're unarmed? Ask yourself if you sleep armed? Yes, it is important to spend the time becoming proficient with a tool -- but given that you spend most of your life unarmed, and likely sleep unarmed, and that there is no guarantee that you'll always be able to be legally armed -- don't you think it makes more sense to spend most of your training time for unarmed self defense?

I know there's a million "ifs" involved, but it makes sense. I was always taught "practice how you plan to perform". You don't learn to hit a 90 MPH pitch by plaing MLB2Kwhatever. Inform yourself. Find a place to practice drawing from your CC holster. Take a self defense/weapons training class. It could save the lives of you, your family, and your friends.

If anyone wants any more info let me know. Krav has changed my way of thinking and my life and the weapons disarm/defense I've been learning is by far more valuable than anything I took away from the CCW course OR the Level 2 pistol training I've received.

My gym is doing a weapons disarm seminar Feb 4th if anyone is interested. It will be led by a Krav master and I guarantee will open your eyes, especially if you don't have any prior hand to hand training. It will include pistol, long gun, and knife defenses from every position from standing facing all different directions to lying face down in bed to on your knees execution style.

Do you know how to defend yourself in all scenarios? Yeah, me neither. I hope to learn a little more each day though.

tl;dr

Just because you carry a pistol and have taken the CCW course does not mean you're prepared, indestructible, and Wyatt Earp. YOU are the weapon, NOT the tool in your holster.

Good stuff. I know I am probably very unprepared but I want to get more prepared. I've been going to the range about once a week and practicing better carry and draw skills. I've also joined the weekly AimHi CCW league which teaches me a few different skills in different lighting conditions and noise conditions. (Plus its fun).

I wish I had my own land to set up stuff but that isn't in the cards.

OP, What Krav gym? Gahanna? Can anyone come in and watch a session? I've been thinking of doing some sort of martial arts and from what I've seen Krav seems the most practicle and "real world".

Thanks.

I just took a tactical pistol class at a place called S.T.A.R.T.

I will be going back for the advanced class which is primarily Close Quarters Combat with simunation.

The place is owned by an ex Seal, and I can't say enough good about it aside from I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone interested in improving your arms handling skills.

http://www.strt.us

Most people will learn more in one day at this place than they collectively have in their entire life about properly handling/using a firearm.

Good stuff. I know I am probably very unprepared but I want to get more prepared. I've been going to the range about once a week and practicing better carry and draw skills. I've also joined the weekly AimHi CCW league which teaches me a few different skills in different lighting conditions and noise conditions. (Plus its fun).

I wish I had my own land to set up stuff but that isn't in the cards.

OP, What Krav gym? Gahanna? Can anyone come in and watch a session? I've been thinking of doing some sort of martial arts and from what I've seen Krav seems the most practicle and "real world".

Thanks.

That's great that you're doing something to better yourself in more ways than one.

I go to Fusion Fitness | Krav Maga on Coonpath Rd off 33 just before you get to Lancaster. Shawn Baird is the instructor but he's affiliated and trains with Ohio Krav Maga which has that gym in Gahanna, one in Hilliard, and I forget where the last one is at the moment.

KRav is definitely more "real world" training than I've ever seen or participated with. Well worth getting into an OKM gym.

I just took a tactical pistol class at a place called S.T.A.R.T.

I will be going back for the advanced class which is primarily Close Quarters Combat with simunation.

The place is owned by an ex Seal, and I can't say enough good about it aside from I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone interested in improving your arms handling skills.

http://www.strt.us

Most people will learn more in one day at this place than they collectively have in their entire life about properly handling/using a firearm.

That's awesome. I've heard great things about it but never been myself, and even though I haven't I can attest that if it's ANYTHING like what I've been working with you're 100% spot on. You will learn more in 1 session than you could ever hope to at a CCW type class or a thousand trips to the range.

+1 for S.T.A.R.T.

I spend alot of time there anymore. I also do 3 gun matches there and I.D.P.A. shoots.

Ya Jordan, you missed the simunition battles later on.

I miss all the good shit!

Can't wait to go back. As soon as I get this move behind me, I'm going to try and make it down for an IDPA shoot.

How much is the ccw league?

Its $85 for 10 weeks. The third week starts tonight at 5-7:30. They throw the worst two weeks out so if you wanted to start tonight you probably could without making anything up. They seem to have them throughout the year. I'll probably do it again next time.