El Karacho said something that i been thinking about and wanted to bring up.

Spidey2721

I choose not to get a CCW for the sole fact that if I were ever forced to use a gun to defend myself, I never know who else around has a CCW will misunderstand my emergency as a threat to them and in turn try to hurt me.

ok so i been thinking a bit about this myself. then good ole karacho said it in a post elsewhere. it is something i could really see happening pretty easy. someone trys to mug you you pull gun they like oh shit step back hands up. dude comes round corner thinking you are the bad guy. bang dead. ooor you are forced to either bang dead the dude from the corner or let him bang dead you.

what is others thoughts on this?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the laws take care of this. as a ccw carrier, you are only allowed to use it in defense of yourself, for this very reason.

"A person may defend another only if the protected person would have

had the right to use deadly force in self-defense himself. Under Ohio law, a

person may defend family members, friends, or strangers."

It's also why they tell you to mind your own God damn business in CCW training.

This.

Poor Nancy the gas station clerk gets robbed. As long as you're not being threatened, mind your business. Sucks to be that way but it's for your own protection. If you put yourself into trouble you have to be ready to accept the consequences, physically and potentially legally.

"A person may defend another only if the protected person would have

had the right to use deadly force in self-defense himself. Under Ohio law, a

person may defend family members, friends, or strangers."

While this may be true, if the weaponless victim antagonized the shooter, and you shoot him, you are up shit creek. If you don't 100% know the full story, keep walking.

It's also why they tell you to mind your own God damn business in CCW training.

+1123984798237

but the possibility is still there. its no where near a stretch to imagine the above scenario

that's someone that slept through the 12 hour class then

the correct response to that situation is to turn back around the corner, call 911, then use the camera on your phone to record it. Which honestly is the best response ANYONE could have to that situation. Shooting either person without knowing what is happening is murder in the eyes of the law.

I think everyone has the scenario backwards. He's saying you're the one getting mugged, you pull a gun to defend yourself, some innocent bystander misreads the situation and you end up dead because you looked like the aggressor.

Absolutely that could happen. Is it likely? Probably not. But all you gun people love preparing for unlikely situations, so have at it.

My response from the other thread.

I respect that you choose not to exercise your right, but my rebuttal to your hypothetical anecdote is this. If you are "forced" to use your firearm to defend yourself as described, you are in danger of losing your life, or you are improperly using your firearm. It is also entirely possible another person would become aware of said life-endangering situation, and without prior knowledge mistakenly confuse you as the aggressor/attacker and injure/kill you. What I propose is that an order of operations need be applied to the threat(s). Now if the person/persons originally attacking you are in fact threatening your very existence, it would seem folly to prioritize the possibility of being mistakenly shot or killed over the much more palpable threat of the person right in front of you, attacking/robbing you. If you are more worried about a passerby becoming aggressive towards you, then the person directly acosting you, then you were not in the type of situation that requires deadly force in the first place.

• Upvote 1

A cop once told me " buy a revolver, it allows you to take the casing with you."

I knew there was one more reason I liked carrying my .357

so your telling me you honestly cant see this ever happening? right

IMO it's not likely. shit happens so fast in real life, the chances are that it won't. Also, what are the chances anyone else is going to get in the middle of two dudes squaring off with guns. Not likely. Would you? Anyone here? Sorry, but not me. I won't say that's 100% because every situation is different but I'm not going to say I'm there guns blazing every time. Not my role.

I think about it whenever I'm in UDF or like as I most always have my gun on me, but would I really get in the middle of a firefight if the place was being robbed and my life wasn't in the midst of danger? I'm not bashful to say I likely wouldn't. Now a guy back from two tours in Iraq and who just came from situations much worse...he might.

Each situation is different but with all the CCW'ers in Cbus, you don't hear too many stories if any about people trying to playing cops and robbers.

If i pull my gun on someone its not to have a conversation with them. Its to shoot them. Thats why this scenario is unlikely to me. The altercation would be over too soon for Joe Bob to walk around the corner and shoot me out of confusion.

Just because you have a CCW doesn't mean you have to use it. If I was being attacked with lots of people around I would hope to get some help and not need to pull out my CCW. If I'm being attacked by 3 attackers and no one else is around my CCW will come out.

I'd rather have my CCW on me and be able to choose to use it or not.

Even if you did need to use your CCW, since most people aren't looking for a gun I would doubt most would even see it come out, be used and be put back away.