91 CRX won't start

Sully

I drove the car yesterday without issue. Went out this morning to go to work and it won't start. It turns over just fine. I pop the hood and see one of the spark plug boots not completely seated on the plug. I push it down and it pops back off. I pull it off and discover that hole is full of oil :fuuuu:. The other 3 holes are dry. So, where do I begin? What caused this? What will it take to fix it?

Edit: This is a D15B2 motor.

Definitley the spark plug grommets that are bad, pretty common thing on Hondas. If that doesn't fix it try messing with the main relay up under the dash on driver side. My dads CRX doesnt like to start sometimes, he just plays with that relay and it'll fire right up lol.

So, what's the best/proper way to go about this? Soak up the oil from the hole as best as I can before removing the spark plug? Do I even need to remove the spark plugs in order to remove the valve cover?

I know I can do this, it would just help if I had proper direction on fixing this, so that I don't make matters worse. TIA!

Just pull the plug out and let it run down in the hole, if it's a lot of oil you can crank the engine over with the plugs out for a few seconds, it isn't going to hurt anything. Then replace the valve cover gaskets and o-rings, make sure your new gasket comes with the round seals for the top of the spark plug tubes. Make sure the wires clean up and haven't softened up, plugs wouldn't be a bad idea at this time either, some $2 NGKs while you're in there.

So, what's the best/proper way to go about this? Soak up the oil from the hole as best as I can before removing the spark plug? Do I even need to remove the spark plugs in order to remove the valve cover?

I know I can do this, it would just help if I had proper direction on fixing this, so that I don't make matters worse. TIA!

I can come over this weekend and give you a hand fixing it. Since I'm just down the road.

If it ran I would say grab the parts and come to my house. But it wont run.

You'd think a good running Honda would still start even if 3 cylinders are good or it at least try to start.

You'd be smart to fix the oil leak at the spark plug tube, but I'd also make sure you're getting spark. Those motors are notorious for bad distributors.

All hondas are notorious for bad distributors...

It may not start after fixing this issue... But this is an issue that needs addressed.

You can always pull the other 3 plugs out, and see if they are getting spark...

But Regardless I would fix the oil in tube issue

I soaked up as much oil out of that one hole as I could with paper towels. Pulled the plugs (they are already NGK's) and valve cover, replaced the grommets and gasket and put it all back together. The car started right up. WooHoo!!!

Thanks again everyone for the help.

Cool deal. Keep an eye on those tube seals. Make sure they don't fill back up.

Already thought of that this morning after I got it started. LoL. Plus I'll want to check the valve cover gasket to make sure it's not leaking also.

• 3 months later...

LoL, yeah, they were installed right.

I used whatever Advanced Auto had available.

Since it's the same hole that was the problem to begin with, I'm thinking it's not the seals. Maybe the cover is warped?

LoL, yeah, they were installed right.

I used whatever Advanced Auto had available.

Since it's the same hole that was the problem to begin with, I'm thinking it's not the seals. Maybe the cover is warped?

Just have to pull it off and inspect for cracks, warping (with a straight edge), is the tube running up from the head have an issue? Best thing to do is take it apart and look, you've got enough common sense to figure out is something is wrong. Even doing stuff like this every day I've rolled a gasket without realizing it, shit happens.

No. :gabe:

When I get time (it's going to be a couple weeks), I'll pull the damn thing off and look at it again.

:megusta:

Is your motor like this one? Forgot some of those have 2nd seals inside the head. Which would make perfect Cents considering its the same hole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6RT42UqveU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

sorry I'm late to your party but it IS the o-rings between the rocker assembly and the cylinder head its very common and easy to fix I've done several at the dealership plus I did my accord in my driveway last summer, remove the valve cover, put the engine on TDC, mark the cam gear and t-belt with a paint marker and slowly remove the cam gear, timing belt, and rocker assembly, replace the brittle o-rings under the rocker assembly, re-install the rocker assembly, cam gear & t-belt, go through and check the valve clearance adjust if needed re-install the valve cover and your done