Internation I9 won't rstart

gbracing81

I have an '09 international with an I9 engine. The engine starts fine and runs great when it is cold. After it has run for a while and everything has come up to temp, if you shut off the engine and let it sit for about 5 minutes, you have to crank the hell out of it to get it to refire. After it fires back up it runs great. I have already replaced the high pressure oil pump, the IPR and the IPS and rebuilt the HPOM. Next I will have to try rebuilding the injectors. I don't really want to do all of that though. Anybody here a diesel mech that may have run into the same problem?

Not the most familiar with those engines particularly but it sounds like you have one of the models that has hydraulic actuated injectors via oil. A lot of times the o rings fail on the high pressure oil rail. This causes a pressure drop after oil is warm and takes a bit of cramming to build pressure up. Based on your post I assume you were headed this direction in replacing the pump.

I assume you have replaced fuel filter as well. Make sure to also check battery and charging systems on it. There are known international ecm issues regarding voltage gremlins. Many trucks have had issues with the ecm wire to the battery. This isn't likely the issue here due to problems when warm but worth a check.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yes, but not on the HPOR. I had already done those thinking they were the cause. It was the o-rings on the injectors themselves. With the valve cover off I pressurized the oil system with air and found all six injectors leaking. 4 of them were REALLY bad and the other two just barely. After some diging I was able to find out that the truck and power train were no longer under warranty but the actual injecter were. So I sent it off to Center City.