Oil pan clearance, someone throw some ideas at me.

IWannaGoFast

As I mentioned in my build intro, I have a 1990 Miata that I am putting a 302 into. For the standard install to work the oil pan hangs down 3inches or so, which limits ride height. The other option is to lift the motor which further throws off balance and means I have to cut a hole in the hood or run a goofy cowl.

As mentioned before I considered running a dry sump system, but that is proving to be difficult and expensive. Another person suggested an external oil pump and slim pan, but I don't see what the difference truly is. Yet another option suggested was to "wing" the pan and go wide with baffels around the sump for the pickup but I have no experience with this and am unsure how to do this or how much clearance it would give me.

I have spent countless hours on forums and the old Google box without anything that really pleases me.

The goal is for the car to ride as low as possible with the motor being mounted as low as possible within the car and the stock hood intact.

Anybody have knowledge or experience on any of these?

Anybody have any other ideas?

I can't say as I know much about ford motors, but I have played a bit with GM. If the ford oiling system is similar then you may run into problems around the oil pump. With the GM pumps you could angle the pickup up and make the pan more shallow, but eventually the pan will have to have enough depth for the pump itself.

I would be concerned making the pan wide/long and flat. That could cause an oiling problem under hard cornering without baffles.

I know you said a dry sump is proving difficult and expensive, but it also sounds like your best option.