Workout Supplements

Hahn

Here is what I take. I am doing the same thing that you are. I am on a pretty hard core diet as well. Over the years I have experimented with a lot of supps and I am really diggin the Muscle Pharm stuff right now.

Opti Men - Multi

Now- Fish oil 2000mg a day

Muscle Pharm Combat Powder - Protein powder

Muscle Pharm Assault - Pre workout as well as 2.5g of Con Crete Creatine

Muscle Pharm Creatine - I add another 2.5 grams in my post wo protein shake. This gives me a total of 5g a day

Muscle Pharm Shred Matrix - This is their fat loss system

Xtend - BCAA's

I am on some other stuff as well but here are the main things that I am really liking.

Here are my other supps

Carbo Gain - My post w/o carbs

L-Carnitine 2g per day

Glutamine 4g in addition to whats in my BCAA's

Muscle Pharm Zmax - basicly a sleeping pill that promotes recovery

Muscle Pharm CLA- Basicly just as acid that help break down the nutrients in your food

Now Green tea extract - 400mg a day

The only reason I am so supp crazy right now is because I am on a 12 week program and I am trying to get the most out of it. Once I am done with this program then I will cut everything except for my multi, fish oil and protein.

I deff dont want to be taking this much stuff. But i do have the MP protien and like it.

I've been taking C4 that stuff is a great pre, after workout I take Muscletech's Anabolic Halo which has creatine and everything else you would want in a post workout supplement. I like both but I must admit they are pretty pricey.

Tried some fat burner a while back, i think it was D4 maybe C4. It wasnt for me though.

Basically, should i be on a pre workout or is that just a waste of money? Is there any gains from it other than getting you pumped for the gym? I dont really have a problem with going so i feel like its not that important to me. And is creatine worth the $$. This has brought up mixed feelings between comments.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as pre-workouts go.... C4 is a hell of a drug. Comes on quick and also hits even harder. From my experience with losing weight, pre workouts are beneficial only if your workout is gonna be long enough and intense enough to burn up all that sugar and chemicals your putting in your body.

If I'm only gonna be in for an hour doing cardio I may pop a caffeine pill and that's it. But if I'm gonna be doing a heavy weight longer workout I'll go hardcore on the pre-workouts just cause I'm going to the point of failure and I want to get as much in as possible before hitting that point of failure

Everyone wants to supplement, a supplement is only as good as your diet and training. Get those two dialed in and then worry about supplements.

As far as a diet goes, its all trial and error. Some people are carb sensitive while others are fat sensitive. Read up on metabolic typing and dogg crap training. I think putting these together will give you some great results.

Squat/deadlift/olympic lift big.. eat big. Eat real food, not processed. Get your macro nutrients down first, then the micro will fall into place. The 3 supplements you are taking are perfect, how much fish oil a day? And it's not just fish oil is it, should be omega 3's

and muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. 1 lb = 1 lb. muscle is just more dense

great stuff!

full body exercises have been shown to burn more calories due to the number of muscles involved. After college, I was 6'5" 230 and dropped down to 195 in just a couple months simply by eating healthy and working out 5 times a week (i had the time). When you do your grocery shopping, stay along the outer edges of the store as much as possible, that's where the good stuff is (meats, produce, dairy, etc). all the processed stuff are down the isles. to save money, canned or frozen veggies/fruits are a great option.

oh yeah and cut out alcohol if you drink it, or at least cut way back - that also contributed to my weight loss.

As others have said your diet is gonna be the #1 thing with any kind of workout. Nothing will help you more than your diet.

A pre workout supp will help you get through long or really tough workouts and a lot of them have NO in them which gives you a really nice pump while working out. I usually take a single serving of my pre workout about 15 min before going to the gym. I also drink a cup of coffee about an houre before my workouts. This is like a double serving.

Creatine is absolutely one of the most important supps outside of protein. Here is a breakdown from Bodybuilding.com

So what does creatine do?

1. Provide additional energy for your muscles

Time for a quick and simple biology lesson. In your body you have a compound called ATP (adenosine tri-phosphate). Think of ATP as an energy containing compound. What is important to know about ATP is that the body can very quickly get energy from a ATP reaction. You have other sources of energy such as carbohydrates and fat - but they take longer to convert into a useable energy source. When you are doing an intense quick burst activity - such as lifting a weight or sprinting, your muscles must contract and need a quick source of energy. This immediate energy comes from ATP.

Okay - still with us? Here is where it gets interesting. When your muscles use ATP for energy a chemical process happens where the ATP is broken down into two simpler chemicals ADP (adenosine di-phosphate) and inorganic phosphate. This process of ATP turning into ADP releases the energy which gives your muscles the ability to contract. Unfortunately, we do not have an endless supply of ATP. In fact, your muscles only contain enough ATP to last about 10-15 seconds at maximum exertion. In case you were wondering - no, the ADP can not be used to create more energy for your muscles.

Here is where the creatine comes in - or more specifically the creatine phosphate (CP). We don't want to go into great detail on creatine vs. creatine phosphate now (that is in a later article) - all you need to know now is that the majority of creatine that is stored in the muscles bonds with abundant phosphorus stores in the muscles and is converted into Creatine Phosphate (CP). CP is able to react with the ADP in your body and turn "useless" ADP back into the "super useful" energy source - ATP. More ATP in your body means more fuel for your muscles.

2. Volumization of your muscles

Looks like we just made up that word -Volumization - doesn't it? Actually, it's just a fancy name for the process of pulling fluid into the muscle cells and thus increasing the volume of the muscles. Creatine has been shown to pull water into your muscle cells, which increases the size of your muscles. Don't get to excited - it is not clear how great an effect this has. Point #1 is a much clearer benefit of creatine.

3. Buffer Lactic Acid build-up

New research has shown that creatine can help buffer lactic acid that builds-up in the muscles during exercise. This leads to that nasty burning feel you get in your muscles. Scientifically it is a complicated process - basically the creatine bonds with a Hydrogen ion and that helps delay the build up of lactic acid. More research needs to be done to see if this point is true.

4. Enhances Protein Synthesis

There is some data to indicate that creatine helps put the body in a more anabolic state where protein synthesis can occur. The more protein synthesis - the greater the muscle gain.

Well - there you have what creatine does in a very simplified nutshell. Of all 4 points - point #1 is the most use of creatine in the body. The other points are more debated - but still look to be valid.

* Is the 120 grams of creatine in my body enough?

Maybe. The whole idea behind taking creatine as supplement is that if you workout you burn-up a lot of creatine. If you take a creatine supplement you will have more energy - because the ATP energy cycle can go on for a longer time. We go into supplementation in another article - but here is the quick run down. Unfortunately your muscle's creatine supply is not limitless. The average human has between 3.5 and 4 grams of creatine per kilogram of muscle. Once you use up the creatine in your muscle you have to rest your muscles and wait a while before you can exercise the muscle again. Studies have shown that the human muscle can store up to 5 grams of creatine per kilogram. So, by taking a creatine supplement you can raise your levels from 3.5 to 5 grams of creatine - and thus enjoy more of the benefits of creatine.

* What happens to creatine that is not used by the body?

Excess creatine is eventually converted into the waste product creatinine and excreted from the body.

As others have said your diet is gonna be the #1 thing with any kind of workout. Nothing will help you more than your diet.

A pre workout supp will help you get through long or really tough workouts and a lot of them have NO in them which gives you a really nice pump while working out. I usually take a single serving of my pre workout about 15 min before going to the gym. I also drink a cup of coffee about an houre before my workouts. This is like a double serving.

Creatine is absolutely one of the most important supps outside of protein. Here is a breakdown from Bodybuilding.com

So what does creatine do?

1. Provide additional energy for your muscles

Time for a quick and simple biology lesson. In your body you have a compound called ATP (adenosine tri-phosphate). Think of ATP as an energy containing compound. What is important to know about ATP is that the body can very quickly get energy from a ATP reaction. You have other sources of energy such as carbohydrates and fat - but they take longer to convert into a useable energy source. When you are doing an intense quick burst activity - such as lifting a weight or sprinting, your muscles must contract and need a quick source of energy. This immediate energy comes from ATP.

Okay - still with us? Here is where it gets interesting. When your muscles use ATP for energy a chemical process happens where the ATP is broken down into two simpler chemicals ADP (adenosine di-phosphate) and inorganic phosphate. This process of ATP turning into ADP releases the energy which gives your muscles the ability to contract. Unfortunately, we do not have an endless supply of ATP. In fact, your muscles only contain enough ATP to last about 10-15 seconds at maximum exertion. In case you were wondering - no, the ADP can not be used to create more energy for your muscles.

Here is where the creatine comes in - or more specifically the creatine phosphate (CP). We don't want to go into great detail on creatine vs. creatine phosphate now (that is in a later article) - all you need to know now is that the majority of creatine that is stored in the muscles bonds with abundant phosphorus stores in the muscles and is converted into Creatine Phosphate (CP). CP is able to react with the ADP in your body and turn "useless" ADP back into the "super useful" energy source - ATP. More ATP in your body means more fuel for your muscles.

2. Volumization of your muscles

Looks like we just made up that word -Volumization - doesn't it? Actually, it's just a fancy name for the process of pulling fluid into the muscle cells and thus increasing the volume of the muscles. Creatine has been shown to pull water into your muscle cells, which increases the size of your muscles. Don't get to excited - it is not clear how great an effect this has. Point #1 is a much clearer benefit of creatine.

3. Buffer Lactic Acid build-up

New research has shown that creatine can help buffer lactic acid that builds-up in the muscles during exercise. This leads to that nasty burning feel you get in your muscles. Scientifically it is a complicated process - basically the creatine bonds with a Hydrogen ion and that helps delay the build up of lactic acid. More research needs to be done to see if this point is true.

4. Enhances Protein Synthesis

There is some data to indicate that creatine helps put the body in a more anabolic state where protein synthesis can occur. The more protein synthesis - the greater the muscle gain.

Well - there you have what creatine does in a very simplified nutshell. Of all 4 points - point #1 is the most use of creatine in the body. The other points are more debated - but still look to be valid.

* Is the 120 grams of creatine in my body enough?

Maybe. The whole idea behind taking creatine as supplement is that if you workout you burn-up a lot of creatine. If you take a creatine supplement you will have more energy - because the ATP energy cycle can go on for a longer time. We go into supplementation in another article - but here is the quick run down. Unfortunately your muscle's creatine supply is not limitless. The average human has between 3.5 and 4 grams of creatine per kilogram of muscle. Once you use up the creatine in your muscle you have to rest your muscles and wait a while before you can exercise the muscle again. Studies have shown that the human muscle can store up to 5 grams of creatine per kilogram. So, by taking a creatine supplement you can raise your levels from 3.5 to 5 grams of creatine - and thus enjoy more of the benefits of creatine.

* What happens to creatine that is not used by the body?

Excess creatine is eventually converted into the waste product creatinine and excreted from the body.

Very good read. Now i think i will be buying some creatine very soon. Thanks again for all the input fellas.

of all the supplements that are out there creatine is probably the best bang for the buck. it does work and isnt to costly.

when your like me and trying to gain strength the extra 5lbs (strength) it gives me is worth it, though its been a while since i have been on it.

I only take protein shakes (since its hard for me to get in all my protein needs with whole food) and no other crap .

all the other supplements just give you a placebo effect and when its time to put up the heavy weights you find out they dont work and you crash cause they jack up your heart rate.

you crash cause they jack up your heart rate.

I somewhat agree with this, however if used properly it can help you focus. I find that taking 1/2 serving and sipping it throughout my workout gives me a boost without the horrbile sense of strength and increased heart rate. These preworkouts have way to much BS in them these days.

I like to stick with MP products. Then again I'm trying to gain weight and mass.

Assault pre workout

Recon and combat powder after with added creatine. Along with lots of bcaa's, armor v, and a fish oil.

So far I've gained 15 pounds in the last year and gotten my bench up drastically.

What is everyone's opinion on the Gatorade Prime and Recovery? I've taken both the last couple ice times I had. I'm not sure if it is just in my head, but I feel to skate better and my shots are very strong lately. Almost everyone on my team was complimenting how well I was playing last night.

Now the only exercise I really partake in is playing hockey, usually 1-1.5 hours each 3 times a week. I ride my bike probably 1-2 hours a week, but other than that not much. I take a multi and a B12 everyday. I'm built to be a pretty big guy, but just looking to lose weight and keep progressing my hockey game. I've been eating a lot better only cheating once a week with a burrito or some chinese.

I'm just wondering if this stuff works well for what I'm looking for. I figure the protein in the recovery will help all the muscles I use in hockey to get stronger and the prime helps with energy on the ice. Any other recommendations?

the problem I see with creatine is once you stop taking it (if you do) you lose all the water weight so I wouldn't really say its a 100% viable supplement. I mean it sure helps the workout and making you look bigger but when it comes to pure muscle I just don't see it.

Creatine helps you bang out those extra 2 or 3 reps that you normally would have failed on already. This adds to your workout so essentially you are getting a long term effect from it. However you do lose some size after you stop taking in because your muscles are not holding as much water. You normaly dont see much of a strength decrease though.

of all the supplements that are out there creatine is probably the best bang for the buck. it does work and isnt to costly.

when your like me and trying to gain strength the extra 5lbs (strength) it gives me is worth it, though its been a while since i have been on it.

I only take protein shakes (since its hard for me to get in all my protein needs with whole food) and no other crap .

all the other supplements just give you a placebo effect and when its time to put up the heavy weights you find out they dont work and you crash cause they jack up your heart rate.

So not true. Yes, there are a ton of supps out there that use the placebo affect but there are a lot of good ones out there as well. I have tried so many supps that its not even funny. When I first got in to working out, I was supp crazy. I was spending like 600-700 a month on supps. I fell for a lot of the gimmicks out there because I did not have anyone to tell me any different. There are a lot of supps out there that do work and a lot that dont. You just have to get advise from a reliable source. Don't listen to the salesman at GNC. :) Also there area ton of pre workout supps that dont cause you to crash. I feel jacked for about the first half of my workout but I am able to maintain the intensity through my entire workout and I dont get a crash. No sometimes if I have a harcore training session, I will feel exhauseted afterwards but that is the training more than anything I think.

I like to stick with MP products. Then again I'm trying to gain weight and mass.

Assault pre workout

Recon and combat powder after with added creatine. Along with lots of bcaa's, armor v, and a fish oil.

So far I've gained 15 pounds in the last year and gotten my bench up drastically.

This is a good supp regime. I honestly think MP has some of the best supps. I have switched almost everything to MP and I feel they are the best brand across the board for effective supps.

with juiced being natural clean foods

dont let wee-man fool anyone here, he could take all the roids in the world and still be wee-man.:fa:

LOL. I got up to 190ish shredded just over a year ago. Haven't lifted since because I wanted to take a break bc i've lifted all my life from wrestling years to just stayin fit. Never touched the sauce lil guy. I'm sure if I just ate ate ate I could hit over 200 and still stay lean bc of my metabolism. You sound like all those guys on the bb.com forums that say they're %100 nattie and have a small chemisty lab going on inside of them. Either way its all good bro. Keep pushin heavy weight. I'm done bashing. :)

LOL. I got up to 190ish shredded just over a year ago. Haven't lifted since because I wanted to take a break bc i've lifted all my life from wrestling years to just stayin fit. Never touched the sauce lil guy. I'm sure if I just ate ate ate I could hit over 200 and still stay lean bc of my metabolism. You sound like all those guys on the bb.com forums that say they're %100 nattie and have a small chemisty lab going on inside of them. Either way its all good bro. Keep pushin heavy weight. I'm done bashing. :)

In the other thread you said you are 180. Lost 10 pounds over the year? Was it muscle loss of fat loss?

In the other thread you said you are 180. Lost 10 pounds over the year? Was it muscle loss of fat loss?

When I lifted. I got up to 190ish last year. I haven't lifted in quite some time exctept for a few times here and there So I lost almost 10lbs of muscle. Hence why Im around 180. I still get decent workouts in because of having a manual labor intensive job but its not like hitting the gym :( I need to start back up asap. I didn't lose too much size that I had. Just a little in all spots. So no, it wasn't fat. I have such a high metabolism I've never really stored fat at all. I've had abs since Highschool 10yrs ago.

When I lifted. I got up to 190ish last year. I haven't lifted in quite some time exctept for a few times here and there So I lost almost 10lbs of muscle. Hence why Im around 180. I still get decent workouts in because of having a manual labor intensive job but its not like hitting the gym :( I need to start back up asap. I didn't lose too much size that I had. Just a little in all spots. So no, it wasn't fat. I have such a high metabolism I've never really stored fat at all. I've had abs since Highschool 10yrs ago.

Thats where my downfall is. I work a desk job so if I miss a trip or two to the gym its like I litterally gain a pound. I couldnt get past 167 in high school. Started taking supplements in college (you know, pizza, oatmeal, pasta :lol: ) and got up to 220 (8% body fat). Now its impossible for me to go below 200 without going super strict on the nutrition side now that I dont power lift anymore.

Well, i think ive actually decided not to go with a pre workout or creatine. The long term perks just dont seem to be there. I want something i can stay consistant with. That and im not trying to become a body builder, just get healthy again. Anyways, thanks for the input. Looks like ill stick with my protein, fish oil and multi vitamin along with a healthier diet.

Now that everyone has had their say. Hahn you are over looking a couple of things to you benifit. Your environment. I'm pretty sure you'r walking everywhere you go. For me, It's an easy10 miles a week in getting places, plus the workout. This is a plus. Never count a hard days work, as any part of your workout. It's just an extra, but don't over look it as what you need to eat for and recover from. I'm guessing you are having fun with the snow up there, as the next 4 days are going to be shit here. Add to that, if you guess are wearing your gear all the time like at TK.

You are in a structured environment and your gains and progress should be multilied by that as long as you are disiplined to your diet and training program. Between the gear I wear and the raining schedule I've been able to have, shit is simple and the PT test I took yesterdays was a joke. Maxed PU and SU with 25 sec to spare on each, and 80% on the run. I never run or train for it, so I don't really care if I'm still getting 80%. Point being, workout and be disiplined to your training and eating, and shit gets easy. Plus, you're are 4400 ft in elevation, I'm at 3500. Breathing suuuuucked for the run. But back home, the run will feel easier.

Eat to train and eat to recover. There is some good info in this thead, but you have to sift through what you understand, before you use it. Never use something unless you know exactly what it's purpose is. Creatine and whey are a good start point. Then read and learn. Try what you re interested in if you can before buying. There is always 5 real meat heads who know what does what, and 10 of their friends in the platoon who just bought it because their buddy has it or said to.