best high power rifle

99ta

Don't know much about rifles. Would just like to add one to my collection. Would probably only use to hunt coyotes, target, maybe some day go out west for elk or something. Ive looked at 30-06, 270, ect. What do you guys think or recommend?

Whats your budget and how far do you plan on shooting then we can go from there.

well, don't really know. never owned nor shot one. so I don't know what a good distance is. like I said just would like to add one to my collection. just to have one for a special moment type thing.

I liked my Remington 700 chambered in 22-250...not big enough for elk bit fun for long distance and more than enough for coyotes.

an elk was just an example. I was just saying if I had to opportunity to go on a trip out west ( which I would love to do) I want to have a gun to do the job.

MOff the top of my head, calibers that would fit your bill include. 223 and. 22-250 (both too weak for elk-sized game but work great on yotes),. 243 (borderline too weak for elk, but would work with the proper bullet and placement),. 260 (nasty LR round but ammo selection is limited),. 7mm-08 (decent but somewhat limited selection ),. 308 (probably your best, well - rounded, easy to find option),. 30-30 (if you want a lever gun, cheap), 308mx/. 338mx (I love these rounds, built for lever guns, would work for yotes and elk just fine),. 270 and. 30-06 (boring and out dated IMO. Anything bigger is a waste of money IMO and are meant for applications other than your own.

As for rifles, you have your standard Remington 700 and Savage 10s and 12s in whatever flavor you desire. Then there's Ruger, Weatherby, winchester, and Marlin (lever guns) and some others. If you plan on keeping it basic and stock, I'd go with a Savage because they're pretty good in base form.

7.62x54R is going to be the cheapest and most bang for the buck.

Mosin Nagant 9130 or a PSL-54C shoot this round. I have both and love them.

I'm not against the round or the weapons, but can you find 54R in the box stores? I'm no expert on the Mosin or PSL, but I don't see them being as accurate out of the box as a late model 700 or Savage.

No hateraid.

If you buy the ammo in the stores, its about as expensive as .308, but it is easy enough to get. In bulk, its pretty cheap.

I gots no problem pelting stuff at 100 yards with the factory scope on the PSL or even the iron sights on the Mosin for that matter.

If you buy the ammo in the stores, its about as expensive as .308, but it is easy enough to get. In bulk, its pretty cheap.

I gots no problem pelting stuff at 100 yards with the factory scope on the PSL or even the iron sights on the Mosin for that matter.

The 91/30s I've shot aren't accurate at all, but when the muzzle is hogged out form silly spastic soviet soldier cleaning that will happen. What kind of groups are you getting from what loads?

.308 (probably your best, well - rounded, easy to find option)

As for rifles, you have your standard Remington 700 and Savage 10s and 12s

This

I'm no expert on the Mosin or PSL, but I don't see them being as accurate out of the box as a late model 700 or Savage.

And this

And remember not to cheap out on optics, I'd rather have a mediocre gun with a good scope than a great gun with a scope that won't hold zero

I am a big fan of the .270

You can get 90 grain for things like groundhogs and yotes

and all the way up to 160 grain for Elk

Only problem is the .270 is optimized for a 24" barrel and you really lose a decent amount of velocity in a 22" or 20" barrel. Otherwise I feel it is the most versitile caliber out there.

270 is a good round.

I was looking at .308 rifles in semi but went with a 5.56 and plan on getting a .308 in bolt.

17 Remington for Coyote.

I would say you could get some coyoyes with a Mosin too. I can shoot decent groups at 100yds with my buddies Mosin and his 100 dollar scope. I've seen him hit a clay (It was just sitting there) at 100 yds on his first shot of the day with the Mosin.

Edited by Radio Flyer