1.4 Turbo

GilbWs6

Does anyone have any experience or insight on the Cruze 1.4? I'm considering picking on up for a work car. Drove it last night and it didn't seem to be too bad around town but on the highway felt like a little bit of a dog. Is 200 whp an obtainable number with minimal bolt ons and a tune? Not going for rice but would just be trying to get something that would be fun on a day to day basis with some economy mixed in.

not 100 percent sure but I would think it being part of the eco family that you could make some decent changes to the motor and make good power. Now with that being said its so new you probably wont find a lot online about them but I would say they will probably find ways to put like lsj heads or 2.2 parts onto the motor. I may also be 100 percent wrong but that would be my first thoughts if looking to mod the motor

This is an LTZ with an auto. Best I could get was about 32 from Dublin-Lancaster-Dublin. I would probably go with an air intake, tune, mid-pipe, and possibly a ZZP fmic. If an exhaust is made for this car that doesn't sound like a Fiber One fart, I would consider it too.

yes doing a quick search zzp has some stuff already for the car.

Saw that. I used a lot of their stuff when I had my GTP way back when. Always had good results. Just didn't know if anyone had witnessed any results first hand . If the car still feels like a turd with these things done to it, I may just wait and spend the extra money on a Regal Turbo or GS once we take in a used one at the right price. I'll probably just have to spend about $5,000 more to get one.

Forgot to mention that you will probably want to check out VTuner, he not only does magic with Saabs (Going to go to him next month to get the Saab tuned from 210 HP to 260 HP)

Here's the link

http://www.vtunerperformance.com/?p=54

Video

They are just using HP tuner. IPS or Dyno Brian should be able to tune your car just like any other GM ECU.

GM Cadillac/Buick/GMC/Saturn/Saab

I have driven quite a few autos at work and they all shift funny. It seems that with some wear they don't get any better either. I don't see them in for many issues, and all the recalls were just reprogramming and inspecting various things to make sure they were installed correctly. After the first year I haven't seen any new recalls for a while.

Isn't much for me to say about these cars as they haven't been around long and they really haven't had many issues yet. I think that the Cruize is shaping up to be a great car for GM, and a really competetive car in its class.

They are just using HP tuner. IPS or Dyno Brian should be able to tune your car just like any other GM ECU.

GM Cadillac/Buick/GMC/Saturn/Saab

I don't think that's correct, unless they have some wierd relationship with Ken or Chris as they don't support the E78 controllers yet.

Shouldn't be long.

not 100 percent sure but I would think it being part of the eco family that you could make some decent changes to the motor and make good power. Now with that being said its so new you probably wont find a lot online about them but I would say they will probably find ways to put like lsj heads or 2.2 parts onto the motor. I may also be 100 percent wrong but that would be my first thoughts if looking to mod the motor

The 1.4L is a different block than the 2.0/2.2/2.4L Ecotec's, so no parts swapping will happen. As far as mods, it sounds like an intercooler and a tune should be the first things. Trifecta has had some good results with the car, but the only way to get a manual is with the Eco, and that has a different rear suspension.

The 1.4L is a different block than the 2.0/2.2/2.4L Ecotec's, so no parts swapping will happen. As far as mods, it sounds like an intercooler and a tune should be the first things. Trifecta has had some good results with the car, but the only way to get a manual is with the Eco, and that has a different rear suspension.

I heard part of the reason they achieved the fuel milage they do in the Eco is due to the fact the manual is setup to basically have 4 OD's. It's geared verrry long after a peppy 1st and 2nd gear. Of course, if you were to really get some good power in it, those longer gears could pay off for staying in boost longer.

Bingo!

They also have thin top ringlands.

Phil - do you know the story on the different rear suspension?

I *THINK* it's just a torsion beam.

The rear Watt’s linkage and the regular spare tire are jettisoned to shed about 250 pounds of mass.

GM has deleted the Z-link rear suspension in favor of a standard torsion bar to skimp on pounds, though the absence isn't noticeable during long commutes or in abrupt stop-and-go driving.

And you get different half shafts:

More interesting still is that the Cruze Eco has sacrificed its intermediate driveshaft in favor of two unequal-length half shafts to conserve weight. GM went with the original design to keep torque-steer at bay with both the 1.4-liter four-cylinder and the 1.8-liter four-pot, but the trade-off was deemed worthwhile when it came to the hyper-efficient version of the Cruze. After our time behind the wheel, we have to wonder why GM felt the intermediate shaft was necessary on the standard Cruze at all. With 138 horsepower and 148 pound-feet of torque on hand, we didn't exactly find ourselves fighting the steering wheel at every stoplight.

I heard part of the reason they achieved the fuel milage they do in the Eco is due to the fact the manual is setup to basically have 4 OD's. It's geared verrry long after a peppy 1st and 2nd gear. Of course, if you were to really get some good power in it, those longer gears could pay off for staying in boost longer.

and they run really hot.

but the only way to get a manual is with the Eco, and that has a different rear suspension.

Not true. You can get a manual in any of the models. I'm enjoying mine as a DD with very good gas mileage, but it does feel sluggish while stock