Need a car for my wife for around 10k. Need some suggestions

Buck531

So I'm (probably) going to give my son my wife's 99 Regal LS and get my wife another car for about 10k. I'm going to "try" and branch out from a GM product and try something other than a Regal/W-body style car.

Needs:

Must be an auto

4 doors

mini-van?

might be interested in a wagon?

Wouldn't mind a 4 cylinder to save on gas.

under 90k miles (preferrably around 60k?)

Also something that doesn't need an assload of maintenance.

Edit - changed price I'm looking for. That might open up some more cars to look for. Anything to REALLY stay away from?

Any ideas?

Edited by Buck531

Im pretty partial to the 04-05 legacys.they are two different body styles and non turbo of each I think will be in ghat price range

I've always like the Legacy's.. how is the maintenance on them? Are they high maintenance like a lot of women out there (not you.. and NOT my wife lol).

NASCAR MOTOR!

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/2859299904.html

1979 Ford Pinto Crusin' wagon. Built 2.3 4cyl NASCAR motor taken out of tube frame mini stock car. Automatic trans, New 3" Flowmaster exhaust, fresh paint and ready to go Crusin' !!!!! Listing this car for friend so call only 614-497-3774. No text and no Email please.

Ford, wgn, 79,78,77,76,80,crusing,cruzin,

http://images.craigslist.org/5Ib5L75P63nb3Fb3M3c2j5888f0f39d9e1e22.jpg

I've always like the Legacy's.. how is the maintenance on them? Are they high maintenance like a lot of women out there (not you.. and NOT my wife lol).

Big things are timing belt (around 100k) and head gaskets (should be done with timing belt imo). Other than that, they're pretty good. Can get annoying little oil leaks but pretty stout and relatively cheap to fix.

Big things are timing belt (around 100k) and head gaskets (should be done with timing belt imo). Other than that, they're pretty good. Can get annoying little oil leaks but pretty stout and relatively cheap to fix.

What he said. They are pretty easy on maintenence. Mg first legacy I had from 1-89kmiles. Current owner has it just over 100k (and hes on here) I think hasn't had any major issues.

The 04 has a decent little pep to it but still maintained around 26mpg. Lots of trunk spaces and backseats. The 05 is a bit more spacious, a bit more classed op styling wise, but has the same engine aside from an intake redesign. Has 165hp and awde, obviously

Honestly, in this day and age $6,000 won't get you very much, so good luck with the search. For small cars, look at the Focus, just get an 03+, the older ones have tons of problems (as I found out the hard way).

Yeah I found that out real quick looking on cars.com and craigslist that didn't have a bazillion miles on them.

My wife's car runs and drives perfectly fine for 150k on the Regal. My sons Regal is starting to shit itself.

My options are to give my son my wife's car (that I KNOW is reliable and will run for a few more years easy)... and buy my wife a new(er) car.

OR.. get my son a $1000 beater and have it crap out in a few months like this one he got back in October and be out a grand or have to fix a TON of shit on it.

Just on the fence on what to do.

• 3 weeks later...
http://www.byersmazdasubaru.com/temps/mobile/details.cfm?searchvkid=1139765

No clue if this link wi work but Byers has a 2006 legacy 2.5i for $10,9

Yeah that worked.. I didn't see it because it's listed at 10.9k. and has 99k miles. I would prefer to get something around 70k if possible.

You may be able to squeek into a mazda6 at that point

Yep. I did see one on cars.com that was under 10k and had decent miles. How are they? pretty reliable?

That's what I'm trying to get at. what's reliable and what's not.