Wanted: BMG .50

gillbot

/flamesuit on

Ok, Bonus check is in and I've got my flamesuit ready for the "why the hell do you need that" crowd and the "get something else" crowd. Now that's out of the way, I had a .50 and I want to replace it. Brings back memories of shooting with a long lost friend so NOTHING else will be accepted.

Now, I know what's out there somewhat and here's where the flamesuit comes in to play. I want a cheap one, simple. Yes, I will shoot it, but I know I won't shoot as much since my shooting buddy is no longer with us. Hence the lower cost preference so I don't feel AS bad about wasting money on a toy for myself. I've never really splurged on myself, but this is my time. Finances are well in order and I have the ability to buy.

So, I've run across a few deals online and this is where my questions come into play.

I do not like the "AR" style guns, but if the price were right I'd get one. I've run across a Bohica for ~$1600 but the seller hasn't returned my messages. Ran across a Hesse for ~$1800 but the seller doesn't want to ship it. My actual preference is a State Arms, but i'm torn between the Shorty due to the lower cost of $2250 new or the Rebel at $2550? new.

The Serbu is well priced as well at $2200, but reviews of earlier models weren't the best.

Cliffs on models I've looked into:

The used Bohica was my 1st choice due to price since it's close to my (probably unrealistic) target of ~$1500.

The Hesse gets horrible reviews online but i've talked to a few actual owners and they don't have any problems at all. Most will cite that most of the complainers don't own a .50 or at least a Hesse and they are spreading rumor, which I tend to believe.

The State Arms seems to review very well, but most who get the Shorty upgrade to the Rebel and I'd like to avoid double spending. I haven't gotten much feedback as to why most upgrade though, which is frustrating.

Supposedly the Serbu has improved over initial reviews but I'm not sure it's worth the risk. It also comes standard with the shorter barrel like the State Arms Shorty, so after the upgrade cost to the longer barrel I might as well grab the state arms.

Barrett, why pay top dollar for the name? If I ran across a miracle sale, sure, otherwise NTY.

The LAR Grizzly and Noreen are cheap, but I don't like the style at all. Not even sure I could be swayed by cheap on this one. It would have to be REALLY cheap.

Armalite, Bushmaster, Steyer & McMillan isn't bad, but I don't like that style or price. If one was found cheap I could be swayed but still.

I like the Robar but the price is up there.

Not sure about the Safety Harbor Firearms model, seems to be the same class as the Serbu to me but I'm not sure.

I haven't done much looking on the Vulcan Armament, though the price looks attractive.

Now, part 2 of this novel:

Anyone have any suggestions and feedback on buying used online? I've never bought a gun, since my first .50 was made from scratch by my friend before he passed. I know that it has to be shipped to an FFL, but i'm looking for someone's actual experience and insight on the whole process.

I've skimmed Buds Guns, Armslist, etc. looking for deals and info, but I'm not sure where to look and what to do when I find what I want.

Edited by gillbot

If you shoot a Barrett, you'll see the proof in the pudding.

I've heard nothing good from the Safety Harbor set up. I've got a friend with a Bohica upper he bought for shits n' giggles. Said it won't group for shit, but it's fun non the less. Have you inquired into the M99? Not a bad price for a quality rifle:

http://www.armslist.com/posts/81046/lexington-kentucky-rifles-for-sale--barrett-m99--50-bmg-with-nightforce-nxs-scope-5-5x22x56

It's sold, but for a package deal, it ain't bad.

Yeah, I've had my eye on a couple of M99's as well. People just spooge over the name and want a mint for them usually.

I'm not really concerned with grouping or accuracy. It's just for fun and I know I'm not a sniper, nor do I want to pretend to be one. I just miss the really big booms and blowing stuff to smithereens.

I'd honostly look into building on a McMillan action (shell holder short actions are probably the cheapest if you don't mind taking the bolt out to load) using a Fisher barrel (no reaming required on McMillan actions) and bedding it in one of McMillan's stocks with a 700 series trigger.

Should be able to pull it off around 2,000$

Do not buy a polymer AR15 lower. Let me say that again. DO NOT BUY A POLYMER LOWER!

For the $100 or so you might save, it is not worth it with the massive record of failure polymer AR lowers have. Forged AL lowers are cheaper and more available than ever, it is absurd to get anything else.

I'm not against 50 AR uppers, but I think the selling point of just switching an upper is a tad misleading. Most hammer/trigger groups will need to be swapped out and pin wear may be a problem if you plan on keep it for a few years. My brother has a Bohica with a steel lower....which ended up costing about the same as an M99 single shot.

LOL @ seriously considering a .50BMG when you've never owned a gun before and all you're looking for is something that makes a lot of noise...

LOL @ your reading and comprehension fail......

From the OP:

SNIP...

I had a .50 and I want to replace it. Brings back memories of shooting with a long lost friend so NOTHING else will be accepted.

SNIP...

I've never bought a gun, since my first .50 was made from scratch by my friend before he passed.

SNIP...

I have owned several guns, most were given to me by family members, inherited or received as gifts. I have never had to purchase a gun online or from out of state.

I seriously see why this place has a bad rep. Most people here can't even comprehend the simplest of posts, yet they full on jump in to flame an OP. It sure makes me glad to be a member here. Part of the reason I really hesitated to post this.

I'm sure the trolling will start soon enough and this will get locked like 99% of the rest of the threads here. Stay classy CR.

LOL @ your reading and comprehension fail......

From the OP:

I have owned several guns, most were given to me by family members, inherited or received as gifts. I have never had to purchase a gun online or from out of state.

I seriously see why this place has a bad rep. Most people here can't even comprehend the simplest of posts, yet they full on jump in to flame an OP. It sure makes me glad to be a member here. Part of the reason I really hesitated to post this.

I'm sure the trolling will start soon enough and this will get locked like 99% of the rest of the threads here. Stay classy CR.

I'm all for people buying guns; don't get me wrong. But this post is silly. I think some solid advice has been given along with the typical trolling (which I feel this post deserved). If all you want is noise and destruction, then buy a Mosin Nagant and forget all the sentimental stuff. Paying $5/rd. to make loud noises and punch 1/2" holes in Dinty Moore cans is retarded no matter how you try to justify it. Whatever makes you happy though, Bob Lee.

I'm all for people buying guns; don't get me wrong. But this post is silly. I think some solid advice has been given along with the typical trolling (which I feel this post deserved). If all you want is noise and destruction, then buy a Mosin Nagant and forget all the sentimental stuff. Paying $5/rd. to make loud noises and punch 1/2" holes in Dinty Moore cans is retarded no matter how you try to justify it. Whatever makes you happy though, Bob Lee.

So in your thoughts on guns you would also say that the people on here that spend thousands o. Their car to run 8's or 9's would be the same way? I don't understand he asked for a little guidance and even said WHY he wanted a 50. So please if your going to say its stupid to buy a 50 you should tell all the guys on here that run fast times that the money they put in theirs cars is a waste since any cheaper car would make it from point a to b.

Well, if you think it is simply "$5 a round" to make big booms, you are also misinformed. Shells can be had MUCH cheaper than that plus shooting long gun is quite challenging and fun.

I think many need to go do some reading at the 50 cal shooters association website and stop making assumptions. Wait, what, really? There are multiple sites out there dedicated to 50 shooters? Oh yeah, many didn't even bother to mention any of that, did they? Ironic that i'm the one who is misinformed.....

Why would I think that the "CR Gun Crew" might actually have good advice for a fellow member? THAT was my only mistake. Like I said, I really knew better than to make this post but It's also good to know CR will never let me down. Stay classy CR.