Wanted: BMG .50

gillbot

I've almost bought a .50 AR upper twice now, when they were for sale used. A few years back when you could shoot .50bmg for closer to $2ish/round it wasn't too bad, but prices have gone up. Still some deals every now and then, and I can very well see .50bmg going the way of autos. I still might grab a couple just for the investment value. If you come across any good deals on BOHICA or similar uppers let me know and I'll pay you a finder's fee. I haven't been on the .50bmg forums in forever.

So in your thoughts on guns you would also say that the people on here that spend thousands o. Their car to run 8's or 9's would be the same way? I don't understand he asked for a little guidance and even said WHY he wanted a 50. So please if your going to say its stupid to buy a 50 you should tell all the guys on here that run fast times that the money they put in theirs cars is a waste since any cheaper car would make it from point a to b.

Nope. But I suppose if I said something along the lines of: "Looking for a 7 second car. I've never bought a 7 second car before, so I'm not sure how it works. My family gave me a couple 15 second cars before, but other than that, that's all I've really driven. My friend had a 7 second car once, so I'd like to buy one and drive it around because it reminds me of him", I could sound like Gillbot.

Sounds a bit silly, right? :dumb:

And I never said it was stupid to buy a .50BMG. I inferred that it was stupid to buy one to 'make noise'. I offered a much more economical option if that's what he's wanting to do. The only drawback being, it won't bring back fond mammaries of his friend.

Well, if you think it is simply "$5 a round" to make big booms, you are also misinformed. Shells can be had MUCH cheaper than that plus shooting long gun is quite challenging and fun.

OK then. You mention challenging which I can only assume means you plan on shooting some distance. In that case, find me a link to some quality .50BMG ammo suitable for this purpose. I threw out a rough guess on the price, but I bet I'm not too far off, though. Do you reload? And exactly how much long gun shooting have you done exactly? I heard absolutely no mention of compatible scopes in this thread. That's gonna cost you at least the price of the gun, if not more. But you already knew that being that you've been reading .50cal forums. You're damn near an expert at this point, I'm sure.

I think many need to go do some reading at the 50 cal shooters association website and stop making assumptions. Wait, what, really? There are multiple sites out there dedicated to 50 shooters? Oh yeah, many didn't even bother to mention any of that, did they? Ironic that i'm the one who is misinformed.....
Then why is this post here? Go to those forums and tell them your intentions for this gun. Be sure to report back here when they laugh you off their boards though.

Why would I think that the "CR Gun Crew" might actually have good advice for a fellow member? THAT was my only mistake. Like I said, I really knew better than to make this post but It's also good to know CR will never let me down. Stay classy CR.

The advice is sound. The trolling leaves something to be desired. It comes with the territory.

That's what i've been seeing (Bohica upper), PM me a price you are willing to pay and when/if I see another i'll let you know.

I agree on the 50 going the way of the auto too, that's part of the reason I want to replace mine now. I may never get the chance to again. I'd really prefer to have a solid rifle over an AR with a 50 upper, but the true 50 rifles are getting harder and harder to find.

Nope. But I suppose if I said something along the lines of: "Looking for a 7 second car. I've never bought a 7 second car before, so I'm not sure how it works. My family gave me a couple 15 second cars before, but other than that, that's all I've really driven. My friend had a 7 second car once, so I'd like to buy one and drive it around because it reminds me of him", I could sound like Gillbot.

And I never said it was stupid to buy a .50BMG. I inferred that it was stupid to buy one to 'make noise'. I offered a much more economical option if that's what he's wanting to do. The only drawback being, it won't bring back fond mammaries of his friend.

OK then. You mention challenging which I can only assume means you plan on shooting some distance. In that case, find me a link to some quality .50BMG ammo suitable for this purpose. I threw out a rough guess on the price, but I bet I'm not too far off, though. Do you reload? And exactly how much long gun shooting have you done exactly? I heard absolutely no mention of compatible scopes in this thread. That's gonna cost you at least the price of the gun, if not more. But you already knew that being that you've been reading .50cal forums. You're damn near an expert at this point, I'm sure.

Then why is this post here? Go to those forums and tell them your intentions for this gun. Be sure to report back here when they laugh you off their boards though.

Why would I think that the "CR Gun Crew" might actually have good advice for a fellow member? THAT was my only mistake. Like I said, I really knew better than to make this post but It's also good to know CR will never let me down. Stay classy CR.

The advice is sound. The trolling leaves something to be desired. It comes with the territory.

IIRC OP said he SHOT a 50 before he WANTED another 50, so what your saying is COMPLETELY irrelevant. Whatever soapbox you brought out of the closet to try and be holier then thou attitude I'd suggest placing back in said closet and sitting down. He was looking for some opinions which hardly anyone on here trired to help him with. And boy I wish I knew as much as you about guns and rifles I just work at the gun library at work and handle these things by the thousands a week. So please educate me next time your in town, I'd LOVE to be taught by someone as great as you.

I have conversed on quite a few of the 50 forums, they were all much more receptive than this place. Their overall advice though, was to talk to LOCAL GUN PEOPLE for the specific ins-and-outs of the area. Guess my attempt at that failed by posting here.

I never once proclaimed to be an expert. I never said I was a match shooting expert. I never said I was shooting for accuracy, so there is no need for hand loaded match grade ammo or a match grade chamber when a standard chamber with typical off the shelf ammo will suffice. Therefore, your $5 per round argument is moot, especially when $2.50 (ballpark) ammo can be readily found and will shoot just fine for the non-competition shooter.

I keep kicking myself for not grabbing an m82 before obamascare when they were closer to $7k. I'd have to look at what the market is doing on BOHICA uppers. Every once in a blue moon someone who bought when they were cheap sells (usually old people, or non-interwebz people) and they let them go for cheapish.

I keep kicking myself for not grabbing an m82 before obamascare when they were closer to $7k. I'd have to look at what the market is doing on BOHICA uppers. Every once in a blue moon someone who bought when they were cheap sells (usually old people, or non-interwebz people) and they let them go for cheapish.

They are not cheapish anymore unfortunately. Most 50 stuff has appreciated in value, and unfortunately when I should have bought years ago, my hesitation is going to cost me probably double but o-well.

IIRC OP said he SHOT a 50 before he WANTED another 50, so what your saying is COMPLETELY irrelevant. Whatever soapbox you brought out of the closet to try and be holier then thou attitude I'd suggest placing back in said closet and sitting down. He was looking for some opinions which hardly anyone on here trired to help him with. And boy I wish I knew as much as you about guns and rifles I just work at the gun library at work and handle these things by the thousands a week. So please educate me next time your in town, I'd LOVE to be taught by someone as great as you.

Don't you work for Cabelas? :dumb:

http://therubbe.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/badass.png

Whenever you're ready, son.

I have conversed on quite a few of the 50 forums, they were all much more receptive than this place. Their overall advice though, was to talk to LOCAL GUN PEOPLE for the specific ins-and-outs of the area. Guess my attempt at that failed by posting here.

So what makes a Columbus, Ohio .50 different from one from BFE?

I never once proclaimed to be an expert. I never said I was a match shooting expert. I never said I was shooting for accuracy, so there is no need for hand loaded match grade ammo or a match grade chamber when a standard chamber with typical off the shelf ammo will suffice. Therefore, your $5 per round argument is moot, especially when $2.50 (ballpark) ammo can be readily found and will shoot just fine for the non-competition shooter.

And make lots of noise, too?

So what makes a Columbus, Ohio .50 different from one from BFE?

And make lots of noise, too?

Current market, local laws and specifics. Do you seriously not even bother to read before you reply? I mean, if you just want to troll, then fine. Feel free to head on over to the kitchen and have at it.......

Now, part 2 of this novel:

Anyone have any suggestions and feedback on buying used online? I've never bought a gun, since my first .50 was made from scratch by my friend before he passed. I know that it has to be shipped to an FFL, but i'm looking for someone's actual experience and insight on the whole process.

Not to mention the market HERE is much different from the market out WEST where the 50 seems to be more popular since they have big game hunts and more open territory for shooting.

Ahh fawk! The M99s are almost $4k! Ouch! I remember seeing BOHICA uppers selling for right around $1200, but I wouldn't buy one used unless I could verify it would group honestly.

Yeah, tell me about it.

I've seen a few Bohica uppers in that range but they never last. Plus you never know what you get used. Not even sure you can get them new anymore. A friend in KY says he can get new ones, but I don't know from who. I can ask him for info maybe tomorrow.