WTB 1999 Mazda Miata

Erica

Why a 99?

IIRC starting in 99 there was a minor suspension revision that allowed more travel, which gave more bump compliance during regular driving.

There was also a power increase, maybe helps drive-ability a little i.e. ability to pass in a higher gear a little more easily?

Needs to be '99-'01 era due to price range. Mileage isn't a huge deal as long as timing belt is on record. Plenty of clean ones out there in the range, just checking to see if there is one closer than a 2 hour+ drive.

Unfortunatly, good Miatas aren't as easy to find as one would think. I have yet to see another MazdaSpeed in the next 2 states, good luck finding one I'll stay on the look out. Have you guys been on Miata.net looking around yet?

No, but I'm sure Erica will see this and be all over it. Miata's seem to be all over the place in condition and price, just trying to find the best combination.

I have already looked at miata.net. I havnt found anything I really like...

we looked at that one, it need timing belt and a/c service and 6k for a 92 is asinine!

You may think its high, but people pay it everyday. These are niche cars and if they are in good shape they ain't cheap.

You may think its high, but people pay it everyday. These are niche cars and if they are in good shape they ain't cheap.

Im not paying 6k for a car that needs to be ripped apart after I buy it. Plus is has the dog 1.6 in it...

I also called the manager down there and he just told me they have no record of the timing belt because it was not done there. Although he did say that the AC conversion has been done?

I also called the manager down there and he just told me they have no record of the timing belt because it was not done there. Although he did say that the AC conversion has been done?

Yes, it had but the motor for the ac was getting held up on somthing...It just seemed like a lot for a car that was going to need work. Dont get me wrong, I wanted the car, it was super clean and I loved the color combo!

Yes, it had but the motor for the ac was getting held up on somthing...It just seemed like a lot for a car that was going to need work. Dont get me wrong, I wanted the car, it was super clean and I loved the color combo!

I know you did, but after some research that is WAAAAY more than fair for an almost mint M edition. Even the pinch welds look brand new... Just keep that in the back of your head :p

That '92 at Byer's was super clean, minus the scuff on the front bumper, torn drivers bolster, no timing belt service history, and a dragging a/c clutch. And the bottom of the motor/trans was covered in oil, but the VCG was dry.

Again neat car, but a premium for what you get which is understandable for a dealership. Another flag was someone driving 4 plus hours to come and look at it and walk due to price.

They were going to take $100 off the sticker.

A big thanks to Sean (flybye) coming to represent me as the salesperson even though he doesn't work at that particular Byers!

I have found 99s for $4500, but not this close to spring. I'll look around and see what I can find. I

always had good luck finding them in places like Alabama, Tennessee or the Atlanta area, I think because the weather there is good year round so the car is nothing special.

Edit: i also believe the 99-00 cars did NOT have the variable valve timing. Something changed in 01, I don't remember what it was, and that's why the 01+ cars have been pricier.

Word! Thanks Sean...I didn't know about the oil on the underside, but that was my first time seeing the car as well. I was just there to try and get the best price. Good luck with the search and I will continue to look myself!