97 Subaru Outback 2.5 DOHC engine compatibility

Drewhop

I have been told that Subarus are pretty interchangeable. I am trying to find what all engines can be swapped into this car with minimal effort.

Reason I am asking is the timing belt snapped and completely destroyed the head. Not possible to save. (or worth saving)

Any other DOHC EJ25 from around the same era should work. Subaru doesn't exactly have a diverse engine selection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine#EJ25

Great info.

I guess from what I have read that there are things that need to be changed to work with different year engines. Will these be easy to spot with two complete engines sitting side by side.

Subarus are like Legos. :)

As long as you have a 10mm Socket and the right engine, you are mostly A-Ok :thumbsup: (i might be slightly exaggerating here)

MAF and MAP sensors, and depending on years and makes... airboxes.. stuff like that will be what you will need to lok at..

In Nathans 99RS we replaced the motor with an 04 impreza motor.. (both NA obviously)

When I did my 2.2 (I know it's not a 2.5) I ran into an issue with one motor having a EGR system, vs. not. Made complications snow ball into not being able to do a "great" job making the timing covers fit correctly.

My issue was using a '96 motor vs. a '98 motor. They had 2 different generations of the 2.2 during that time. I guess that is something to look at when searching. "major changes" over the production of the 2.5.

You just need to make sure that there aren't any stray sensors on the coolant crossover pipe under the intake, or on the intake that will lead you to having sensors that the computer can't control, OR sensors the computer is looking for, but you don't have.

2nd EX. Had 2 sensors on the crossover pipe vs. 1 and they were in different locations. Solution was to re-use the old one.

Subaru tends to keep majpr components the same shape, but re-arrange, add, or remove various sensors especially in the intake region.

When I did my 2.2 (I know it's not a 2.5) I ran into an issue with one motor having a EGR system, vs. not. Made complications snow ball into not being able to do a "great" job making the timing covers fit correctly.

My issue was using a '96 motor vs. a '98 motor. They had 2 different generations of the 2.2 during that time. I guess that is something to look at when searching. "major changes" over the production of the 2.5.

You just need to make sure that there aren't any stray sensors on the coolant crossover pipe under the intake, or on the intake that will lead you to having sensors that the computer can't control, OR sensors the computer is looking for, but you don't have.

2nd EX. Had 2 sensors on the crossover pipe vs. 1 and they were in different locations. Solution was to re-use the old one.

Subaru tends to keep majpr components the same shape, but re-arrange, add, or remove various sensors especially in the intake region.

That was the kind of information I needed. I need to find a junkyard that has a couple different years already pulled and compare them or maybe even find some pictures.

That was the kind of information I needed. I need to find a junkyard that has a couple different years already pulled and compare them or maybe even find some pictures.

The 2.5's are a lot more straight forward than the 2.2's were. The 2.2's had multiple variations, where as there were only a few different NA 2.5's, and there are even fewer of the DOHC kind from that era. That Wikipedia article should tell you what you can source your engine from.

Also, look at car-part.com for engines.

The lego comment does apply, but vaguely. I don't like to say lego because everything doesn't fit as perfectly as everyone makes it seem. Until you have one under your belt doing it in your garage you won't really understand.

I'll try to shoot an overhead picture of my engine bay tonight. I have a '98 maybe that will help open your range of what you can look for.