Shotgun for Clay Shooting/HD

M0nk3y

Any Expertise on this field?

I went clay shooting for the first time today, and had an absolute blast. I'm addicted right away...

I shot a 870, it was very comfortable. It seems like this is the route to go (not the mention they're cheap)

Anything else I should need to know? I figured it'd be a decent gun for HD as well (with the correct ammunition), is this a solid assumption?

http://img.tapatalk.com/aefcc047-0c98-7df6.jpg

if you're just gonna do it casually, an 870 can't be beat. i have one, and im probably gonna have another soon. just get the proper choke tube and you'll be fine. now, if you want to do it more seriously, you might want to look into an o/u, but if not, that'll do.

There's no reason you couldn't use the same shotgun for home defense and for shooting clays, but the best shotgun for one application will not be the best for the other.

For example, most people would favor a short barrel pump shotgun for home defense, whereas most trap is shot with either a single shot or an O/U long barrel shotgun.

Skeet and sporting clays, a little different still.

But as I said, you can use the 870 for both.

Perhaps, buy the 870 and if you end up really liking clays, make a 2nd shotgun purchase later, more specialized to what you decide to shoot. Your gun fit is going to become very important with clay target shooting if you want to get good.

There's no reason you couldn't use the same shotgun for home defense and for shooting clays, but the best shotgun for one application will not be the best for the other.

For example, most people would favor a short barrel pump shotgun for home defense, whereas most trap is shot with either a single shot or an O/U long barrel shotgun.

Skeet and sporting clays, a little different still.

But as I said, you can use the 870 for both.

Perhaps, buy the 870 and if you end up really liking clays, make a 2nd shotgun purchase later, more specialized to what you decide to shoot. Your gun fit is going to become very important with clay target shooting if you want to get good.

Valid point.

Something to screw around with now is fine for me. Until I get out of college and start doing it more often is when I'll probably upgrade.

Thanks for the insight.

I've used a Rem 1100, 870, Benelli Nova, and Moss 500 for clays and liked the Moss the best, though the versatility of the 870 is great. Moss 500 is a bitch to extend the mag tube capacity on.

John, do you still have the Moss I sold you? I miss shooting that thing.

I loved shooting clays with my 1100 when I still had it. For a while I would sell a gun to buy a gun, foolish I know, but I sold it to buy something else. Looking to get back in to sporting clays though.

I shoot sporting clays and trap. I started with an 870 and quickly upgraded to a benelli montefeltro. A semi auto is nice and will be less abusive after 100+ rounds. I tried an over under and didn't like it as much as the semi auto.

If you go up to Blackwing you can rent each style and see what you like best.

• 2 weeks later...
Any Expertise on this field?

I went clay shooting for the first time today, and had an absolute blast. I'm addicted right away...

I shot a 870, it was very comfortable. It seems like this is the route to go (not the mention they're cheap)

Anything else I should need to know? I figured it'd be a decent gun for HD as well (with the correct ammunition), is this a solid assumption?

I shoot 870 wing-master for clays hit 19 out of 25 on Easter. I use a Mossberg 930 spx for home defense.