Home repair help...

Unleashed

I noticed a small wet spot forming on my kitchen ceiling right below where the toilet is on the second floor. I checked upstairs and there were no signs of a water on the bathroom floor. House is only 5 years old. Did some quick research last night, removed the upstairs toilet, and as suggested the leak was either caused by the wax seal or flange between the sewerpipe and toilet failing. Not sure how long this has been going on, but the subfloor under the toilet is pretty damp, there is some rust on the flange and enough water built up that it soaked through the sheetrock in the ceiling below, so probably for a while.

Anyone know a good handyman to come check things out and make the repair? I need someone that I can trust to do it right, I'm concerned that there may be mold underneath the subfloor and above the ceiling below, but I can't see this without either pulling the floor (tile) or the ceiling below ("knock down finish") first.

Thanks!

Mold on the subfloor isnt all that common. The breeding ground isnt as conducive as say drywall. It would be easier and less intrusive to pull it for sake of checking the ceiling below if visible so you dont have to get into matching ceiling texture. Chnaces are there isnt any issue if your just noticing but better safe to check if you already are doing repairs. Can you find matching tiles to replace the ones your planning on removing and most likely breaking? My advice would be to try and get a test hole somewhere in the area hidden by the toilet or set a dehumidifier in the bathroom for a few days and let it go if you dont see any. I know your really worried about mold but a few drips and you would see water on the drywall. A small test hole wont destroy your ceiling below or your tiles especially if you dont have to and if you do well no harm no foul. Most likely there is no mold just some water damage the need for a repair flange ring and new wax ring. Even if you drill a 4" size hole covered by the toilet you can easily fix this without ripping out 1/2 the house.