Telescopes

thorne

Anyone else sky watch?

tonight is a perfect night for it. sat outside for a while with my kids just talking about nothing and looking up at the moon, planets and a bunch of stars. they played around with some app on their iPad and were naming them all. doesn't matter if they were right or not, it was fun as hell. :)

I have an observatory in my backyard (still need to do finishing touches), but it houses my old friend an 8" Celestron telescope on a computerized mount thats attached to about 2500lbs of concrete.

Check out telescope.com they have pretty good scopes and a nice buyers guide to help in your selection. Also Perkins observatory in Delaware has basically an open house on some friday nights where the speaker talks about some astronomy, sometimes they let you look through their big scope and the central ohio astronomy club sets up a bunch of their stuff on the lawn and lets you view with their smaller scopes.

I have an observatory in my backyard (still need to do finishing touches), but it houses my old friend an 8" Celestron telescope on a computerized mount thats attached to about 2500lbs of concrete.

WOW could I come out and check it out. I have a super cheap scope ATM that I actually broke the leg on last night. ( It was 20$) . I'm looking to upgrade to something nicer because I really enjoy sitting on the back porch just staring at the sky.

Check out telescope.com they have pretty good scopes and a nice buyers guide to help in your selection. Also Perkins observatory in Delaware has basically an open house on some friday nights where the speaker talks about some astronomy, sometimes they let you look through their big scope and the central ohio astronomy club sets up a bunch of their stuff on the lawn and lets you view with their smaller scopes.

Really, I think I might have something to do this friday.

I love to show people the night sky, it gives me an excuse to use my telescope instead of being lazy.

Perkins is every friday and most saturdays. Cost is nine dollars for tickets. Call ahead because they get large groups some nights. I used to volenteer there as a CAS member. Very cool and Tom will stay out all night if you want.

I bought a mid range scope (~300 bucks), and have been working on connecting it to my laptop and taking images of different stars/planets.

Up here in AK, it is extremely easy to see everything. Have been looking really heavy and Venus and Jupiter the last 2-3 weeks.

I bought a mid range scope (~300 bucks), and have been working on connecting it to my laptop and taking images of different stars/planets.

Up here in AK, it is extremely easy to see everything. Have been looking really heavy and Venus and Jupiter the last 2-3 weeks.

How much detail can you really see in Jupiter? I always find it astounding that we can even see it from so far away.

How much detail can you really see in Jupiter? I always find it astounding that we can even see it from so far away.

Surprisingly a decent amount. It takes some time. You need a night were you will have 4-5 hours of clear sky.

http://stargazerslounge.com/attachments/imaging-planetary/82156d1331563826-planetary-imaging-showcase-2011-jupiter.jpg

Celestron 9.25" scope took this one. Biggest thing for good images of planets, is to have a super sturdy, and stable tripod.

^^^ That is a good photo

I think I have decent cheapo set up (>$200) that I bust out everyonce in a while. Which I just realized I have never got out since we moved into the house. But mainly it is a good moon observer set up.

Surprisingly a decent amount. It takes some time. You need a night were you will have 4-5 hours of clear sky.

http://stargazerslounge.com/attachments/imaging-planetary/82156d1331563826-planetary-imaging-showcase-2011-jupiter.jpg

Celestron 9.25" scope took this one. Biggest thing for good images of planets, is to have a super sturdy, and stable tripod.

Wow, that is intense.

No one ever talks about Saturn, which I find odd, as it is nearly as big as Jupiter. Maybe it's just too far away.

Meade has always been a great telescope company and I'm sure its a fine instrument though I've never looked through one personally. Your right in that its a beginner scope, but it should provide optically quality much better than the department stores usual brands.

I can get Jupiter up to about the size of a dime in my scope on a very good night, typically when its below zero with no humidity and low atmospheric turbulence.

Saturn is about the same and I can see the 2 divisions in the rings when they are turned at a good angle. To me Saturn and the Orion Nebula are the two things I've looked at for over 25 years and it still feels like the first time as I peer through the eyepiece at them. I'm always mesmerized by the beauty of Saturn and the intricate details of the Orion Nebula.

I can get Jupiter up to about the size of a dime in my scope on a very good night, typically when its below zero with no humidity and low atmospheric turbulence.

Saturn is about the same and I can see the 2 divisions in the rings when they are turned at a good angle. To me Saturn and the Orion Nebula are the two things I've looked at for over 25 years and it still feels like the first time as I peer through the eyepiece at them. I'm always mesmerized by the beauty of Saturn and the intricate details of the Orion Nebula.

Agreed, I can not only see the moons of Saturn but also the shadows of the moons moving across the surface of Saturn on a good night with my Orion 6" reflector. No matter how many times I see it it's still 100 times better than looking at it in a picture.