Pelotonia 2012

evan9381

Hey guys. Registration is up for Pelotonia 2012. I know there are a few people on here who plan on riding it, myself included. I figured we could get a thread started so if anyone feels inclined to make a donation and doesn't personally know anyone riding this year, they can help support a CR member.

If anyone else is riding, post here or PM me with your rider number or the link to your rider profile, and I'll update this post with your information to keep everyones profile in a central location.

100% Of All Funds Raised by Pelotonia directly support cancer research conducted at Ohio State’s Comprehensive Cancer Center – James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute (OSUCCC – James). Since Pelotonia began in 2009, this annual grassroots bicycle tour has raised $25.47 million, including a record $13.1 million in 2011.

To date, $5 million generated by riders and donors have been allocated to the Pelotonia Fellowship Program, which awards grants to Ohio State students in any discipline and at all levels of scholarship who want to conduct cancer research in the labs of faculty mentors. The program so far has awarded 116 grants to 56 undergraduates, 32 graduate students, two medical students and 26 postdoctoral fellows. The fellowship awards span multiple colleges and departments, bringing many disciplines together in the fight against cancer while helping to train the cancer scientists of tomorrow.

It is unlikely that a cure for cancer will come from one scientist. Instead, it will be through “team science” that we will get new answers and treatments. With this in mind, the Pelotonia Research Award Program provides two-year “idea” grants that enable creative teams of scientists at Ohio State to embark on research that could lead to discoveries resulting in better treatments and prevention strategies. Funding for the early pursuit of these ideas is difficult to obtain, but this Pelotonia program allows scientists to get started by generating data that could later lead to larger grants from external sources such as the National Cancer Institute. To date, 16 research teams have received Pelotonia “idea” grants collectively totaling $2.5 million. The teams represent collaborations among several colleges and departments, as well as three academic institutions (including Nationwide Children’s Hospital). The awards are issued via a peer-review process conducted by scientists not competing for the grants. Grants awarded so far cover an array of studies, from the genetics of triple-negative breast cancer to imaging of precancerous pancreatic lesions; from neurofibroma tumorigenesis and therapy to the molecular mechanisms of the body’s natural killer cells against multiple myeloma; from the role of the ATF3 gene in the development of chronic lymphocytic leukemia to genomic aberrations driving metastatic squamous cell carcinoma (a type of skin cancer).

Pelotonia funds also are being used to help study new treatments for patients, including an early-phase clinical trial on a novel cancer vaccine to prevent several types of solid tumors, and a phase II clinical trial to supplement an ongoing study of a new drug against chronic lymphocytic leukemia. In addition, money from Pelotonia has helped Ohio State recruit and retain some of the world’s brightest minds in cancer research and treatment, and to purchase nearly $2 million worth of the world’s most advanced technology to support the needs of the University’s more than 200 cancer researchers.

These are but a few examples of how the OSUCCC-James is using funds raised by Pelotonia to achieve our shared vision of creating a cancer-free world. Please visit The James website for additional information on our efforts in cancer research.

2012 Riders

Evan Wyant - evan9381 - Rider ID EW0016 - 100 mile route

https://www.mypelotonia.org/riders_profile.jsp?MemberID=174725&SearchStart=0&PAGING

Michael Derebin - SRTmike08 - Rider ID MD0058 - 180 mile route

https://www.mypelotonia.org/riders_profile.jsp?MemberID=172302&SearchStart=0&PAGING

• Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
I rode in 09 & 10, but it started to get too busy for my liking. I will continue to support the cause and my volunteer if I'm around that weekend. It was great to ride through downtown with police holding traffic and people cheering for the first hour. The downside of that first hour was was the 5 mph average to get all 2500-4000 riders out of the city and spread out a little. Good luck in fundraising and the ride!

I rode in 09 & 10, but it started to get too busy for my liking. I will continue to support the cause and my volunteer if I'm around that weekend. It was great to ride through downtown with police holding traffic and people cheering for the first hour. The downside of that first hour was was the 5 mph average to get all 2500-4000 riders out of the city and spread out a little. Good luck in fundraising and the ride!

thanks! it appears this year, they're doing different starts and finishes. my buddy rode last year (i broke my wrist 3 weeks before the ride and couldn't make it), and he said the coolest thing was riding with almost 5k other people out of downtown. this year, theyre doing columbus to pickerington, columbus to gambier, pickerington to gambier, pickerington to new albany. sounds like someone got a not so great idea and convinced people to go with it, but the ride isn't for us, it's for everyone fighting cancer. just gotta keep it in mind. i'd like to ride in huge group...maybe they'll get an even bigger turnout than last year and it'll even it out :fuckyeah:

• 1 month later...
I signed up but through work... I know I got a number, but I can't remember what it is, will look in the morning for it. I'm glad my work will match my donations, but the donation minimum is steep as hell.. you'd figure they would take whatever they could, not make a 2k minimum donation.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

also, i want to put this here as well, since i've sent it to family and friends.

I'm doing a raffle for a set of Tim's custom cornhole boards. every $20 of donations i receive will get a ticket, every $100 of donations will get 7 tickets. I will hold raffle 2nd week in october, which is when the last donation have to be in by (10/12/12). I think theres enough here on this forum about Tims work that i don't need to write a bunch like i did for others who aren't as aware, but here's his FB page if you dont know

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TAYLORED-Cornhole/133791356660151

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Everyone riding tomorrow, BE SAFE. Please remember it's NOT a race, it's a ride. I've got my clothes in the wash now, getting ready to toss them in the dryer then hit the sack, be up at 430 to be at my buddies house at 5 to catch a ride downtown.

FUCK YOU, CANCER. KENYON COLLEGE, HERE I COME!

Also, if anyone was still wanting to donate, it looks like everyone who's posted their ID's up could still use some donations, and I know it would be greatly appreciated by all. Donations are still being accepted!

101 miles, 5:07:57 or a 19.6 or 19.7 average via reynolds rd route. a bit windy and some drizzle, but overall a great ride...very surreal seeing how many participated and all the people out along the route to cheer the riders on.

101 miles, 5:07:57 or a 19.6 or 19.7 average via reynolds rd route. a bit windy and some drizzle, but overall a great ride...very surreal seeing how many participated and all the people out along the route to cheer the riders on.

Nice work! Congrats!

thats moving out, good job!