property tax re-assessment

AWW$HEEET

So I went to the franklin county courthouse today to contest my property taxes. Provided my appraisal, etc.

Anyone know how long it takes them to complete? She said 1 yr to 18 mos, but maybe that's the canned response they give. Anyone ever successfully get theirs lowered?

I did...sent mine in dec 31, i think it was approved april or may and i got a check in august...went from 117k to the 78 i bought it at...then the fuckers turned around this year (year after) and jacked it from 78k to 102. Crooks. No way everyones value dropped, yet they raise mine by 33%. Funny they just agreed w/ me on valuation a year ago.

I did...sent mine in dec 31, i think it was approved april or may and i got a check in august...went from 117k to the 78 i bought it at...then the fuckers turned around this year (year after) and jacked it from 78k to 102. Crooks. No way everyones value dropped, yet they raise mine by 33%. Funny they just agreed w/ me on valuation a year ago.

So wait, they actually paid you for the 6 or so months that they fucked you from december to may? I was wondering that too.

Yep. My assessment went from the previous year (you pay 09 taxes in 10)so when my assessment went from 09 i got a check for the difference. It wss like $800 IIRC

Theres a whole thread on it here, just search my name and assessment, you should be able to find it. Had more details i cant recall quite as much now.

The whole process took about 9 months for me. I had the paperwork/appraisal submitted by the end of March, my hearing was in August, the approval notice came in October, and the check came in December. It normally may have been quicker, but they were also doing the 2011 reappraisal at the time so I think that slowed it down a bit. I almost just waited to see what they were going to do in the countywide reappraisal, but I'm glad I didn't. The auditor showed me what they had planned to adjust ours to and it was still over $45,000 more than the appraisal I submitted. They ended up going with $5,000 over the value I had in my appraisal, and it's saving me close to 35%. It was def. worth the small amount of time and effort. Edited by TA In Progress
added info

I did this close to a year ago I think. I thought there was a deadline that has since long passed. I would search threads in here. I believe Evan created a long thread on it.

I called yesterday, and the deadline was actually yesterday. Got in in at 4:30pm on the last day. Luckily I had all the crap I needed immediately.

Good thread.

I called yesterday, and the deadline was actually yesterday. Got in in at 4:30pm on the last day. Luckily I had all the crap I needed immediately.

Cool! I'm sure it'll be a while before you hear anything, they got overwhelmed with request to lower. In fact, I don't think I have heard yet. Good reminder to call today. My neighbor just told me the other day that the refund goes to the person who pays the taxes, so in my case, that's my mort company. So instead of me getting a lump sum check, my mort payment may be lower until the refund wears off.

I'm still waiting to go through the process on my house. I filed the paperwork last year. They had scheduled me for mid-december, but I couldn't make it because of work. I told them to reschedule me. They said they would contact me when they have a new date/time. I have yet to hear anything. Maybe I should call them to see what's up.

Cool! I'm sure it'll be a while before you hear anything, they got overwhelmed with request to lower. In fact, I don't think I have heard yet. Good reminder to call today. My neighbor just told me the other day that the refund goes to the person who pays the taxes, so in my case, that's my mort company. So instead of me getting a lump sum check, my mort payment may be lower until the refund wears off.

I got my check from the assessor directly. Im sure if they sent it to my bank, theyd either cut me a check for the overage or give me an option to apply it towards my mortgage.

With my work schedule i am not able to make it to a hearing so im getting screwed on my property taxes. Why can i not just send in my paper work and they look over it and make the proper adjustments? It makes no sence i have to show up in person.

i think the delay is partly based on the amount/tax bracket. It took my parents over 2 years just to get approved which led to a delay in each year since.. they are saving close to 10k a year now though but its all backlogged a couple of years now so they are getting refunds from like 09 now and wont get straightened out and on time until probably next year this time.

With my work schedule i am not able to make it to a hearing so im getting screwed on my property taxes. Why can i not just send in my paper work and they look over it and make the proper adjustments? It makes no sence i have to show up in person.

what kind of fucking job do you have that doesnt allow you to take an hour or 2 to go save possibly thousands a year?

Just like I fucking knew it. I just called 525-3914, they can tell you if they have gotten to your case or not. You'll need your parcel #. They sent my check to Wells Fargo, which paid my taxes in full. Then Wells pays my taxes from my mort payment, which means I have a credit. I'm wondering if and when the hell Wells would have told me this and sent me a check. On with them now demanding they send me that money!

• 6 months later...

Just as an update, franklin county just sent me a certified letter, approving a $56,800 reduction in my taxable value. Right around 6 or 7 months to complete.

:megusta:

Yes. Taxes are behind. Just the way you like it. Fag.

-Marc

Marc u are still a huge fag! Sounds like us savings n poverty owes me some money! Where is my check u cheeky shitkunt!

:gabe:

I just refinance with the douche canoe Marc as well. When should I do this? At the end of December?

I think the deadline to file for reassessment is March 31st. Mine took 6-8 months to process and they sent a refund check for overpayment. I think you have the option of not paying the contested taxes, but if they don't find in your favor, you then owe pentalty and interest.

I just refinance with the douche canoe Marc as well. When should I do this? At the end of December?

The county will owe you the refund if US Bank already paid the taxes. I got my refund check from the Fairfield county about 1-2 months after the letter.

I had to wait a year before US Bank reestimated my escrow account to change my payment to reflect the lower taxes and for US Bank to issue me a refund from my escrow account.

i sent mine in around March. i haven't heard a freaking thing.

i called them last week, and the lady said they have it on file, but good luck getting anything done on it until around JULY 2013! WTF!

she did say however, that if we get a appraisal done, or sell the house. it will move us to the front of the line.