First ZL1 Camaro Dyno

Fubar231

Done by Lingenfelter.

Can't wait to see these start popping up with mods, They sure do sound great stock though.

Our friends over at Lingenfelter Performance Engineering can claim themselves as among the very first lucky dogs to get to dyno test a brand new Camaro ZL1. Lingenfelter recently posted

to their Facebook page and
of two new ZL1 test mules they have at the LPE Headquarters in Decatur, Indiana. In the video we get to watch as the test mules take their baseline dyno runs before undergoing radical changes at the hands of the engineers at Lingenfelter.

For a fair comparison, Lingenfetler ran one of the Camaros on a DynoJet and the other on a Mustang Dyno. We don’t know for sure, but we are assuming that both of Lingenfelter’s ZL1’s are manual trans cars, given the fact that they don’t show the “PRND1” indicator on the center of the dash. So, how did the ZL1 perform? Was the super-Camaro a letdown in real-world testing, or does it look like GM may have underrated the ZL1’s power output just a touch? Well, the ZL1 Lingenfelter ran on their DynoJet pumped out a best of 518 horsepower and nearly 514 pound feet of torque. On the Mustang Dyno the ZL1 made 503 horsepower and 496 pound feet of torque while registering just under 8 PSI.

So, if you assume a typical 15% drivetrain power-loss of a manual trans car, that means that the DynoJet is showing the ZL1 to be somewhere around 595 horsepower at the crank, and the lower Mustang reading would equal to around 578 crank horsepower. Check out the dyno graphs below, and stay tuned to LSXtv for more info on Lingenfelter’s ZL1 development over the coming weeks.

http://cdn.speednik.com/files/2012/04/1LingenfelterZL1.jpg

http://cdn.speednik.com/files/2012/04/2LingenfelterZL1.jpg

http://cdn.speednik.com/files/2012/04/3LingenfelterZL1.jpg

http://cdn.speednik.com/files/2012/04/4LingenfelterZL1.jpg

That HP curve really fails imho. I would have liked to have seen more mid range HP. Getting max power out of the car then having to shift sucks becuase the car is constantly having to build power.

My Viper had an identical hp curve and with 700rwhp and I hated it.

That HP curve really fails imho. I would have liked to have seen more mid range HP. Getting max power out of the car then having to shift sucks becuase the car is constantly having to build power.

My Viper had an identical hp curve and with 700rwhp and I hated it.

It looks like the power output was designed to be very linear and predictable, like a large NA motor. Just like electronic throttle control, it may be modeled around customer perception rather then maximum output.

That's a nice torque curve, nice enough for a tard like me to feel comfortable trying to push on a weekend open lab session.

Word out of GM is the "official" company line is 12 flat quarter. I think once hot shoes get a hold of it you will see 11.6x to 11.7x bone stock.

Crybabies all over the camaro forum, as Hennessy just took one down the 1/4 and could only muster 12.5 @ 116. Lol. My caddy's faster.

Crybabies all over the camaro forum, as Hennessy just took one down the 1/4 and could only muster 12.5 @ 116. Lol. My caddy's faster.

Really? Ha. I need to see some more run before I get too many laughs. Good tires, good air, and a decent driver. Time will tell.

Yeah I will give it some time. It is lighter than the caddy with the same motor with more power. It will be faster than the ctsv for sure. It won't beat the gt500 though.

What did your caddy run? Any mods when you ran at the track?

You could say my car is cr stock :lolguy:

It's 3rd in line to go to the strip as far as my cars go. No track times yet, but even bone stock v's have run 12.3's consistently on stock rubber.